Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
2010 Mac Pro with Magic Mouse.....since Lion anyone with a Magic Mouse notice that the cursor will jump clear across the screen for no reason? If I'm doing something and start to move the cursor right.....sometimes it will jump clear to the edge of the screen.

-Kevin

Mr.Mumblings

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Yup, happens here as well.

2010 Mac Pro with Magic Mouse.....since Lion anyone with a Magic Mouse notice that the cursor will jump clear across the screen for no reason? If I'm doing something and start to move the cursor right.....sometimes it will jump clear to the edge of the screen.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Happens to me too, was wondering if I was imagining it.

I've got hot corners setup and sometimes the mouse jumps to the corner and activates either the desktop or MC.....freaked me out a few times.

Sucks that it's happening.....glad I'm not the only one though :D

-Kevin

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Could be bad...

So two questions for you all:

1) is it just the mighty mouse that is jumpy?

2) how is your monitor connected, dvi or mdp?

I have a 2009 Mac pro and had the same issue, but it was actually a problem with the video drivers. :( I had to switch to dvi to fix it...

I hope for you all that is not the case.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So two questions for you all:

1) is it just the mighty mouse that is jumpy?

2) how is your monitor connected, dvi or mdp?

I have a 2009 Mac pro and had the same issue, but it was actually a problem with the video drivers. :( I had to switch to dvi to fix it...

I hope for you all that is not the case.

Haven't tried any other mouse.

2010 Mac Pro....with the 27" Cinema Display connected via Mini Displayport.

Same machine, same setup with SL never had the issue.....so it's definitely something with Lion.

-Kevin

mdorf

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I'm having the same problem. Very, very annoying. Hope it's resolved soon!

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Same here with magic mouse. Can't reproduce on the trackpad. If anyone finds a solution, post here.. but I suspect it is an OS bug.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So for all you that responded so far.....did you have this issue on the same hardware with Snow Leopard? Just curious as I did NOT have the issue in SL.

I upgraded to Lion from SL.

-Kevin

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
So for all you that responded so far.....did you have this issue on the same hardware with Snow Leopard? Just curious as I did NOT have the issue in SL.

-Kevin

I did NOT have the issue on SL. I did a clean install of Lion.

Using a 13" 2009 MBP connected via a MDP to a 22" LG monitor.

Magic mouse only appears to jump after I have been typing for a while, and that first wiggle to find the cursor seems to just make it fly to one of the edges.

Could it be the Mouse drivers to do with sleeping/waking or acceleration?

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005

-Kevin

No issues on SL. Does everyone here have an external monitor? I will be using it without a monitor today to see if it happens then.

MorningZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Ft Lauderdale

-Kevin

I also did *not* have this issue in Snow Leopard...

My hardware/software is:
- the 15" Macbook Pro from this spring...
- Matrox TripleHead2Go Display Port edition with two Lenovo monitors hooked to it, the laptop is setup to the right of the monitors
- Magic Mouse
- No "Hot Corners" setup

Completely randomly the mouse just "jumps" the right lower edge of the laptop screen... i cannot get it to do it on purpose even when i move my mouse around like a crack monkey

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
No issues on SL. Does everyone here have an external monitor? I will be using it without a monitor today to see if it happens then.

Here are my specs:

Did not happen in SL.

2010 Mac Pro
ATI Radeon HD 5870
Magic Mouse
27" Apple Cinema Display hooked up via Mini Displayport cable

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Buddy of mine just upgraded his 2008 Mac Pro w/ Magic Mouse and he too has the jumpy cursor.

He's hooked up to a 23" ACD.

-Kevin

OH Mac Fan

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Well, let me ask a question. If you move the mouse around in a small circle does it jump all over the screen like it's trying to figure out where it should be and not where it is? If so, you need to repair the mouse driver. Ironically, I had the exact same problem under snow leopard from using 2 mice (one of which used a proprietary mouse driver) and the Lion update fixed it. I used the magic mouse for everyday use and a wired gaming mouse for gaming. I've googled that problem and looked everywhere I could and they all point to a corrupted mouse driver. I know how insane that can drive you and hope it helps.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Well, let me ask a question. If you move the mouse around in a small circle does it jump all over the screen like it's trying to figure out where it should be and not where it is? If so, you need to repair the mouse driver. Ironically, I had the exact same problem under snow leopard from using 2 mice (one of which used a proprietary mouse driver) and the Lion update fixed it. I used the magic mouse for everyday use and a wired gaming mouse for gaming. I've googled that problem and looked everywhere I could and they all point to a corrupted mouse driver. I know how insane that can drive you and hope it helps.

Nope.....mouse works fine overall.

Basically, at completely random times.....when I go to move the mouse, if the cursor was near the middle of the screen for example, the minute I move the mouse the cursor will jump to the edge or corner (hopefully I'm describing this correctly).

Doesn't happen all the time...but it is noticeable....especially when it goes to a corner and activates a hot corner.

-Kevin

OH Mac Fan

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Nope.....mouse works fine overall.

Basically, at completely random times.....when I go to move the mouse, if the cursor was near the middle of the screen for example, the minute I move the mouse the cursor will jump to the edge or corner (hopefully I'm describing this correctly).

Doesn't happen all the time...but it is noticeable....especially when it goes to a corner and activates a hot corner.

-Kevin

The first things I tried where cleaning the lenses on the mouse, cleaning the surface the mouse was one, and eventually buying a mouse pad. None of them fixed it and it drove me nuts. Hope you have better luck.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
The first things I tried where cleaning the lenses on the mouse, cleaning the surface the mouse was one, and eventually buying a mouse pad. None of them fixed it and it drove me nuts. Hope you have better luck.

Thanks. With the number of people responding and the fact that the same hardware worked in SL....I'm guessing there is a bug in Lion.

But yes, I have cleaned the mouse, changed the batteries and I'm on a mousepad.

-Kevin

OH Mac Fan

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks. With the number of people responding and the fact that the same hardware worked in SL....I'm guessing there is a bug in Lion.

But yes, I have cleaned the mouse, changed the batteries and I'm on a mousepad.

-Kevin

Are you using any accelerator programs for the mouse speed? I was using MZoom and none one was ever able to tell me definitively if that was what caused the issue.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Are you using any accelerator programs for the mouse speed? I was using MZoom and none one was ever able to tell me definitively if that was what caused the issue.

Nope....never have. Everything standard on my SL install and now the Lion upgrade.

UPDATE: I did just submit a bug report to Apple. We'll see if they respond.

-Kevin

piddonkadonk

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Boulder, CO
Same problem here. I was looking at old threads with this issue. Finding that I shared a common variable with others, in that I am using external monitor (2nd monitor) and the pointer skips/jumps to corner of opposite screen. Everyone said that the solution was an unguarded mini-DVI to VGA adapter and that purchasing an "active" adapter would fix the problem.

I did not have this issue in Snow Leopard and external monitor set up was the same.

Sounds like it's an Apple bug. I purchased it anyways from Amazon for $29. We'll see who gets to the root of this first, Apple or me.

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Had the same problem a while back under either Leopard or SL can't remember which. It seems to be related to use of a second monitor. Not sure why.

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm having this problem as well. I have a magic mouse. My computer is the iMac 24" 2.4Ghz. Occasionally, I'll go to move my mouse and it jumps clear across the screen, often to one of the corners and since I have a hot corner set up, it's kinda jarring when all the windows fly away when I didn't intend to do that.....

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Had the same problem a while back under either Leopard or SL can't remember which. It seems to be related to use of a second monitor. Not sure why.

No second monitor here....just a single ACD.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.