Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
This probably doesn't apply to you since it is a new issue, but I will share nonetheless. I constantly had problems with Bluetooth issues on my 2008 Mac Pro until I came across a discussion on the Apple support forums that led to this PDF file. Apparently Apple has consistently made a goofup on Pros that leaves Bluetooth with a weak signal so all kinds of things can interfere with it. You can get a better signal by switching the antenna, which isn't complicated but does require patience on the last step.

Again, given that your issues are new this might not help, but you can at least think about it.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Same problem here. I was looking at old threads with this issue. Finding that I shared a common variable with others, in that I am using external monitor (2nd monitor) and the pointer skips/jumps to corner of opposite screen. Everyone said that the solution was an unguarded mini-DVI to VGA adapter and that purchasing an "active" adapter would fix the problem.

I did not have this issue in Snow Leopard and external monitor set up was the same.

Sounds like it's an Apple bug. I purchased it anyways from Amazon for $29. We'll see who gets to the root of this first, Apple or me.

I use mini-DP to DVI, so while obviously not mini-DVI, I don't think the adapter is the problem.

I used the mouse with only the internal display today and was having this problem intermittently. I think it is just less noticeable with the smaller display.

MorningZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Ft Lauderdale
I used the mouse with only the internal display today and was having this problem intermittently. I think it is just less noticeable with the smaller display.

yeah, i have two 1900x1200 monitors hooked up to my MB, and when this "jump" happens, it's a looong way to get the mouse back to where i was... definitely could see it as more annoying the more pixels involved...

MorningZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Ft Lauderdale
and while this by no means is anything but a little piece of software to help alleviate the issue... I've found since yesterday afternoon that "Wraparound" has made this issue less of an annoyance...

Still obviously want/need it "fixed", but until then, this (free) program helps some (and seems to work just fine on Lion despite no lack of mention of it on Digital Cow's site)

http://www.redmondpie.com/wraparoun...sor-from-one-side-of-the-screen-to-the-other/

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Just to confirm, this is not due to funky add ons, mouse accelerators, multiple monitors or anything.

I have a stock mid-2010 Mac Pro with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 and the 24-inch LED display that it came with. Magic Mouse that came with it.

I did not experience this behavior with Snow Leopard, but I experience it now.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Well Apple engineering just asked for my System Profiler report....so hopefully that means someone is looking into it!

-Kevin

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
I don't have a second monitor. This began after installing Lion; same symptoms others described. I can boot into Windows and the mouse is fine, so it's not the mouse. Incidentally it's a Targus Bluetooth Mouse for Mac. It has served me well for years. Lion borked it somehow.

piddonkadonk

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Boulder, CO
UPDATE: I've purchased the "active" adapter that others back in Leopard and Snow Leopard purchased in order to test the connection being the issue for the bluetooth mouse's jumping, but even with the active adapter plugged in, I am getting the same mouse erratic behavior.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Got a link for this confirmation?

Nope. Engineering closed my bug report and marked as duplicate of an original report saying "After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering."

-Kevin

cas85

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
i haven't seen anyone else say this, but i can confirm it happens to the Magic Trackpad as well. It seems to happen when the computer gets low on memory (ie., i have lots of open browsers and flash video playing). It's only happened a couple times, but it lasts for a few mins each time.

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
I'm still suffering with this issue terribly. Forget doing anything that requires precision, nor games.. But most of my games I guess used Rosetta because they are crossed out now. I noticed if I slide the sensitivity setting to max, it becomes extremely erratic, jumps wildly, stops up completely and needs a restart to reset it. I keep it on the lowest sensitivity at this point which gives me basic functionality and smooth, but painfully slow mouse tracking. However, at random times, and especially if I have paused for a moment, the cursor suddenly appears several inches away from where I was at. For anyone thinking this could be my mouse going to "sleep" - no that is not the case, I'm not talking about 5 minute pauses. Just a few seconds is enough. I thank Kevin for reporting back about his experience with engineering and I do hope this is addressed in 10.7.1 or sooner, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of posts on the issue. There is at least one thread at each Mac forum I visit though.

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
Same issue here with a Magic Mouse. Hope it's fixed in the next update, I keep going to Mission Control or to showing my desktop...

mallad

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
iMac

Same issue here with 24" unibody iMac and corded mighty mouse through keyboard w/keypad. Jumps with secondary monitor attached, jumps without, started with Lion, drives me crazy.

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
My solution

I have this problem when I connect my Matrix DualHead2Go external monitor. My solution is to quit iTunes. With iTunes running, the mouse is jumpy. With iTunes not running, the mouse is smooth. I assume it is due to resource contention on the real-time facilities in the OS kernel, so I'm not sure what they can do about that. Apple has never been big on optimizing the performance of their kernel.

rexanders

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2017
This probably doesn't apply to you since it is a new issue, but I will share nonetheless. I constantly had problems with Bluetooth issues on my 2008 Mac Pro until I came across a discussion on the Apple support forums that led to this PDF file. Apparently Apple has consistently made a goofup on Pros that leaves Bluetooth with a weak signal so all kinds of things can interfere with it. You can get a better signal by switching the antenna, which isn't complicated but does require patience on the last step.

Again, given that your issues are new this might not help, but you can at least think about it.

I found a simple solution. Just turn Bluetooth off and back on again. Worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.