Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
I have heard many say it is a superior connector. I have had two cords go bad now which in itself is no biggie and is expected as I am hard on them dragging them from vehicle to vehicle. The thing that really pisses me off is that one you can add several dollars to any charger just because it has a lightning end and secondly both my cords that went bad when plugged into the phone showed that the phone was charging when it in fact wasn’t at all. I have never had a micro usb or usb c cord do this. Really weird and I say hardly superior. I guess I need to upgrade phones to wireless charging ability.

Reactions: Barbareren

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
How is it superior? USB-C is Superior. As the cable will be damaged but not the port. Look at the design. USB-C has connectors on the cables and Lightning has connectors in the ports. These connectors tend to get loose over time. I wanted to get a dust plug for my 12 Pro Max but gave up because i noticed that its the port that has the connectors. Just my 2 cents. Not debating or whatsoever.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Let’s separate the concerns here first. Quality of a cable has got nothing to do with the connector. Lighting is designed in a way that there’s nothing to break anywhere but with any USB standard connector there’s something or other sticking out somewhere. Even with USB C that’s the case.

Now if you talk about USB C being more convenient then that depends on what type of other devices you have at home. If more of your devices have USB C then it’s more convenient of course, but if you have more lightning device then that would be more convenient.

There’s no right or wrong here.

Having said all that, I feel like Apple should try to let go lightning now since even the iPads and MacBooks are on USB C. Having lightning for only iPhone and AirPods is just illogical now.

Last edited:

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
I just want a charging cable that when it goes bad it doesn’t still make the battery symbol on your phone light up and have the phone say charging when it isn’t at all. Its a real bummer when you open the Lock Screen and the battery % has decreased while you were charging even though everything is still lit up like it’s charging.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Thing that pisses me off about the lightning cable is the cheap plastic they use on the cord, after a while they tend to tear very easily, think by now apple being a premium tech company would offer its users a braided cable instead of that trash plastic.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Your gripe is about the cable, not the connector.
If a poor connection is made inside the Lightning port, usually because its clogged with your dirt, electricity can still flow- but very slowly- to the phone. Just enough current can flow for the phone to register it as a charge, but the the current flow is so low that it would take days to fully charge the phone.

Before throwing Apple under the bus for the lightning connector, clean out the port inside your phone and replace the fragile cable you broke

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It is the non-phone end of the cable that most concerns me. Everywhere still has USB-A connections (cars, hotels, gyms, airplanes, etc. So I guess I can get a USB-C to USB-A cable but again until the world really converts to providing power and connections via USB-C I need a USB-A end.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I have heard many say it is a superior connector. I have had two cords go bad now which in itself is no biggie and is expected as I am hard on them dragging them from vehicle to vehicle. The thing that really pisses me off is that one you can add several dollars to any charger just because it has a lightning end and secondly both my cords that went bad when plugged into the phone showed that the phone was charging when it in fact wasn’t at all. I have never had a micro usb or usb c cord do this. Really weird and I say hardly superior. I guess I need to upgrade phones to wireless charging ability.

Completely agree. The lightning connector is a fragile bi@tch from my experience. I’ve had particular bad luck with the charging cables.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 3ft Apple original lightning cable is utter garbage. It's the one that used to come with the phones. Their 6 ft cable is actually very good and passes MORE current than the shorter garbage cable. Battery charges faster with it. It uses thicker wires and the insulation is stronger - it doesn't fall apart

Reactions: canuckRus

Toastedwhan

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2021
I'm still using the 3ft cable that came with my 7 all those years ago. What are y'all doing with yours, jumping rope or towing vehicles?

Reactions: Givmeabrek

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It is the non-phone end of the cable that most concerns me. Everywhere still has USB-A connections (cars, hotels, gyms, airplanes, etc. So I guess I can get a USB-C to USB-A cable but again until the world really converts to providing power and connections via USB-C I need a USB-A end.

Luckily we got bombarded with USB-A to Lightning cables for 8 years and they’re still available at any electronics shop, filling station, airports etc - but if I ever get tired of the stuff I have everywhere I’ll buy a compact USB-C fast charger and take that along with the new cable when travelling.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Completely agree. The lightning connector is a fragile bi@tch from my experience. I’ve had particular bad luck with the charging cables.

For some reason the connectors broke easier than the last few cables I had. Everyone has bad luck in different aspects I guess

Sinfonist

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
For some reason the connectors broke easier than the last few cables I had. Everyone has bad luck in different aspects I guess
I've had to replace a few lightning cables because the wires became exposed at the join with the connector (I have seen sparks on old frayed cables, so I replace them as soon as I see any damage). I also had one lightning connector break in the phone (pulled out with pliers). These were all Apple cables, I think. Others sometimes fail to seat correctly (but then show as not charging/not compatible). I have never seen one show as charging when it wasn't. USB-C seems a bit chunkier, but I've already had problems with not charging/lost connection with my new MacBook Air - I think because the cable or dock puts weight on the connection - so I'm not that impressed so far compared with old-style USB-A and MagSafe power - especially as the C connectors tend to either pull out too easily or be fiddly to put in and I now have a maze of docks and cables!

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I use Satechi Type-A to Type-C Adapter Converter - USB-A Male to USB-C Female (Amazon)

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I've had to replace a few lightning cables because the wires became exposed at the join with the connector (I have seen sparks on old frayed cables, so I replace them as soon as I see any damage). I also had one lightning connector break in the phone (pulled out with pliers). These were all Apple cables, I think. Others sometimes fail to seat correctly (but then show as not charging/not compatible). I have never seen one show as charging when it wasn't. USB-C seems a bit chunkier, but I've already had problems with not charging/lost connection with my new MacBook Air - I think because the cable or dock puts weight on the connection - so I'm not that impressed so far compared with old-style USB-A and MagSafe power - especially as the C connectors tend to either pull out too easily or be fiddly to put in and I now have a maze of docks and cables!

Agree, USB-C ports don’t impress me much at all from that perspective. Both ports on my 2017 MBP are rather lose now and I don’t expect them to be any more reliable in the long run - and that’s with a device that sits on tables all the time.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Agree, USB-C ports don’t impress me much at all from that perspective. Both ports on my 2017 MBP are rather lose now and I don’t expect them to be any more reliable in the long run - and that’s with a device that sits on tables all the time.
I’m finding the same problem. The charger cable on my 2017 mbp now feels like it just balances in the port rather than engaging with any sort of mechanism to hold it it place. In contrast, lightning cables of many years still ‘click‘ reassuringly into the bottom of my phone.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I’m finding the same problem. The charger cable on my 2017 mbp now feels like it just balances in the port rather than engaging with any sort of mechanism to hold it it place. In contrast, lightning cables of many years still ‘click‘ reassuringly into the bottom of my phone.
Having suffered with a loose connection bought a 1ft. extension cable which helped a lot. Really miss old bulky MagSafe cable though.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Having suffered with a loose connection bought a 1ft. extension cable which helped a lot. Really miss old bulky MagSafe cable though.
I too had to buy a replacement USBC cable because a) it stopped reliably charging my Mac and b) it became loose in port.

never had either problem with lightning cables!!!

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
use a pencil eraser and polish the tip(s) of the suspected lightining cable.
use a tooth pick and clean out the iPhone7 recessed lighting plug in. Aim a light into the recess and inspect.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
use a pencil eraser and polish the tip(s) of the suspected lightining cable.
use a tooth pick and clean out the iPhone7 recessed lighting plug in. Aim a light into the recess and inspect.
Lightning port and cable never a problem, only C-port on Mac.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I use Anker and ESR braided Lightning cables - the Apple-branded cables are a ripoff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JXXVP3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVXGFCJ

I use Anker braided cables, too. The family's brutal on cables and we've managed to break some of the original Anker PowerLine+ cables (after >18 months though vs just 1-3 months on original Apple cables). The Anker PowerLine+ II have been holding up much better, though. No failures on those yet.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
lightening cable are not that expensive these days, i grab a few on my Walmart shopping trip. If they work great.

is the iPhone13 going to be a completely sealed unit?

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Might as well ask this here:
Anyone using lightning cables with a magnetic port ala the old magsafe from macbooks?
What is the long term usage durability of this kind of product?

106A7B93-A23E-46E7-8C12-1EB8F30D3CEE.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.