Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtinch

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
With Covid you might want to be out of there quickly. In general, yes inspect in the store. Even in an Apple store. Then there is no doubt about the cause.
It’s one of those blemishes that is only seen when examining the phone under light from a specific angle. Once the phone was set up, I left. I didn’t get a chance to inspect the device thoroughly till I got home.

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Also a point to consider, any tiny mark can probably subtract $100 of resale value, so it can be a factor as well.
In my experience of selling phones that small dot wouldn’t lower the value even one penny. the buyer would have to bring a magnifying glass and be 100% anal.

Reactions: Zazoh

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I think the iPhone factory girl dropped it.
2EA3AF5B-3471-451D-962E-E29C52C229C8.jpeg

Reactions: Snot Rox

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I agree. It is only a tiny mark but for that amount of money plus the boasts Apple make about their quality etc, they should swap it

Also will effect the resale value with no fault of your own. Too bad if Best Buy raises an eyebrow, they have a 14 day return policy for any reason whatsoever.

jtinch

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Also will effect the resale value with no fault of your own. Too bad if Best Buy raises an eyebrow, they have a 14 day return policy for any reason whatsoever.
They could charge their $45 restocking fee, no?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
They could charge their $45 restocking fee, no?
It appears that BB charges $45 restocking fee for cell phones. I won't be purchasing a cell phone from BB. Apple does not charge a restocking fee so why does BB?

jtinch

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
It appears that BB charges $45 restocking fee for cell phones. I won't be purchasing a cell phone from BB. Apple does not charge a restocking fee so why does BB?
They lose money on returned phones, I think. I used to work at a Verizon store and we had a similar policy. I don’t think we charged it for product defects though. This is just a weird edge case that I have no clue how they would handle.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
They lose money on returned phones, I think. I used to work at a Verizon store and we had a similar policy. I don’t think we charged it for product defects though. This is just a weird edge case that I have no clue how they would handle.
If it were me I would take the phone back get it exchanged. So what if they laugh at you, it's your hard earned money.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Apple offers a express exchange program if you have AppleCare+. I suspect that the phone could be exchanged with the express exchange program.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Just got home with my 12 Pro from Best Buy, and I already notice this black spot on the stainless steel. I’ve been super careful with it and put it in a spigen case in the car. It’s been in and out of my pocket a few times. That’s it. I even used a microfiber cloth to try and buff it out with no luck. What gives? Has anyone else had this spot appear?
That's how the 5Gs get in.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Anyone remember iPhone 5 when “damaged straight out of the box” was fairly common? That and the blotchy green screen and power button issues. I knew several owners and the “best” was someone who had their iPhone 5 swapped only 5 times....others 6 or 7 times before they got one that wasn’t faulty. I never had one that wasn’t faulty, and was able to replicate the fault in store. Apple upgraded me to a 5s after the 8th / 9th(?) faulty iPhone 5

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
It’s one of those blemishes that is only seen when examining the phone under light from a specific angle. Once the phone was set up, I left. I didn’t get a chance to inspect the device thoroughly till I got home.

Suggestion, whenever you get iPhone in store always inspect thoroughly. I don’t leave the store until i thoroughly inspect.

Reactions: Zazoh

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Suggestion, whenever you get iPhone in store always inspect thoroughly. I don’t leave the store until i thoroughly inspect.

Good point. I’ve seen back room re-shrink wrapping occur. Not sure if possible with iPhone but I wonder how many are returned and sent back, to have the company wipe off and send back out.

Return for one problem, pick up a new one.

caribbeanblue

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
Just got home with my 12 Pro from Best Buy, and I already notice this black spot on the stainless steel. I’ve been super careful with it and put it in a spigen case in the car. It’s been in and out of my pocket a few times. That’s it. I even used a microfiber cloth to try and buff it out with no luck. What gives? Has anyone else had this spot appear?
Can you feel it with youe finger? If not, I have similar black spots on my Graphite 12 Pro. Tried to clean it with soap and alcohol and had no success. Didn't have this problem on my Space Gray 11 Pro Max, but not sure what the problem is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.