Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
smooth install, said 38 min at some point but only took a little more than 5 min on my iMac.
Installed as this security issue is hopefully addressed.
Also installed Safari 14.1
The vulnerability in the article you reference which affects 11.x is CVE-2021-30657 and apparently does not affect Mojave.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

jz0309

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The vulnerability in the article you reference which affects 11.x is CVE-2021-30657 and apparently does not affect Mojave.
well, I read somewhere else that it affects ALL versions of MacOS, I know the MR article didn't say that ... when I find that again I will post a link

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
well, I read somewhere else that it affects ALL versions of MacOS, I know the MR article didn't say that ... when I find that again I will post a link
It may actually be CVE-2021-1810 which is fixed in both Catalina and Big Sur. https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x64.html
Regardless, there are plenty of issues for Mojave which do get fixed in that security update so it is worth installing.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Does anyone have any more info/experience to share about this update, especially Safari 14.1 ?
I hesitate to jump straight in to new releases these days...

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Totally agree that reading these forums is a good way to get a sense of the danger (or not) of various Apple releases. Like Apple_Glen_UK said above, I went for it this time and all seems to be running nicely. Snappier even.

I recommend shutting down first, unplugging any non-essential peripherals and then running the upgrade straight after booting your mac.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just started updating High Sierra on my iMac and have three systems to update running Mojave. I asked other family members to update as well.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
So, crazy question. I know Apple generally issues security updates for 2 years after a given version of MacOS is put out to pasture.

So is this the last security patch for Mojave now that 11.3 is out?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Installed 003 (from 001), and Mac didn't blowed up.

Went surprisingly quickly, compared to previous updates, despite at least 3 reboots. 10-15 minutes total. It was also nice of Apple to post the standalone updater package in a punctual fashion this time, so that's what I used.

As Mr. Grouchy, aka Macintouch notes, some of the iTunes components were also modified during the process, but not reflected in the version number. That's in addition to the MobileDevice framework update needed for the 14.5 updates within iTunes itself.

Now all of my Apple stuff is fully patched; first time in a while I've thrown caution to the wind and done that without waiting for others to catch the bugs. Hopefully it won't backfire.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Installed 003 (from 001), and Mac didn't blowed up.

Went surprisingly quickly, compared to previous updates, despite at least 3 reboots. 10-15 minutes total. It was also nice of Apple to post the standalone updater package in a punctual fashion this time, so that's what I used.

As Mr. Grouchy, aka Macintouch notes, some of the iTunes components were also modified during the process, but not reflected in the version number. That's in addition to the MobileDevice framework update needed for the 14.5 updates within iTunes itself.

Now all of my Apple stuff is fully patched; first time in a while I've thrown caution to the wind and done that without waiting for others to catch the bugs. Hopefully it won't backfire.

I updated two systems and used them for a while yesterday and no problems. I just updated my third system and it's running fine. I will have to start looking at moving off of Mojave one of these days. The one thing that I love about Mojave is that I never have to think about it. I'm also happy that Apple still does the odd update for it from time to time.

It may be time to give Catalina a try on a Virtual Machine. I plan to get rid of one of my Retina MacBook Pros in the near future as we get closer to M1X launch.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I updated two systems and used them for a while yesterday and no problems. I just updated my third system and it's running fine. I will have to start looking at moving off of Mojave one of these days. The one thing that I love about Mojave is that I never have to think about it. I'm also happy that Apple still does the odd update for it from time to time.

It may be time to give Catalina a try on a Virtual Machine. I plan to get rid of one of my Retina MacBook Pros in the near future as we get closer to M1X launch.

Just MO, but I’d forget Catalina and run 11.3 on a VM when you’re ready.

Catalina is horrid.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just MO, but I’d forget Catalina and run 11.3 on a VM when you’re ready.

Catalina is horrid.

Big Sur has problems on Virtual Machines. There's a three to four second pause creating or shrinking or restoring windows which is really annoying. It's possible that it's better with Rocket Lake or Zen 3 chips but it's awful with 10th gen chips. I try out Big Sur on a VM every couple of months to check it out. I suspect that it doesn't run well if your graphics are weak.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Big Sur has problems on Virtual Machines. There's a three to four second pause creating or shrinking or restoring windows which is really annoying. It's possible that it's better with Rocket Lake or Zen 3 chips but it's awful with 10th gen chips. I try out Big Sur on a VM every couple of months to check it out. I suspect that it doesn't run well if your graphics are weak.

I didn’t know this. Unfortunate situation. :(

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So, crazy question. I know Apple generally issues security updates for 2 years after a given version of MacOS is put out to pasture.

So is this the last security patch for Mojave now that 11.3 is out?
Apple issues security updates for the most recent major version (11.x) and the previous 2 major versions (10.14.x and 10.15.x.) Apple does not always release all security updates for previous versions, however.

Reactions: George Dawes

pameric

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
Immediately after taking the update, my google drive no longer works. I uninstalled/reinstalled, removed prefs and DriveFS, tried opening up auth permissions, tried granting full drive access in security -> privacy, yet nothing works. Upon login to drive, I consistently get this error: "Google drive encountered a problem google drive stopped. Try restarting your computer." Any ideas?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I ran into one problem after the upgrade with Notes. It continually hung when I typed into a particular note. I had to force quite Notes and start it up again but I couldn't get past it. So I went into another system (running High Sierra), and split the note up and that solved the problem.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The Notes problem appears to be related to McAfee. So I need to reformat and reinstall on this system. It means moving all of my programs and data files to another system though and that's going to take a while. I've been meaning to do this for a long time and there's probably lots of crud on the two systems. So I'm creating a Big Sur Virtual Machine to do this, warts and all, and I'll find out which 32-bit programs that I will eventually lose.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Immediately after taking the update, my google drive no longer works. I uninstalled/reinstalled, removed prefs and DriveFS, tried opening up auth permissions, tried granting full drive access in security -> privacy, yet nothing works. Upon login to drive, I consistently get this error: "Google drive encountered a problem google drive stopped. Try restarting your computer." Any ideas?

Did you remove all your external USB, Thunderbolt etc... devices prior to the update? I had a similar issue after 001 and had to do a restore on my 2017 iMac. There was allot of information after regarding removing external peripherals before these Mojave Security Updates.

2021-002 and 2021-003 went smooth since removing my external peripherals prior to the update. Hope you get it figured out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.