Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have over 200 docs, 2000 photos, 110 music albums, miscellaneous bits and pieces and +20 apps on my Mini - and even though its a 256GB, I still have 124GB free. And really, I could prune that further, as I hardly need access to all that daily. Its basically a mirror of what is on my 2017 MacBook Air, which used to be my full-time computer, but is now my work / travel computer.

As I did with my laptop, I have an older external Seagate SSD for Time Machine, and then have another external Samsung (T7 - 500 GB); this is where I keep a manual backup, software download files, plus any media files I don't need on my Mini, but will access as desired (usually via VLCPlayer, IINA or Preview - not locked into Apple's proprietary TV, Music or Photos app).

I also do manual backups to other sources once a month. Local and - for non-essential / private stuff - online.

(Incidentally, because my Air is so 'old', I am able to use a SD Card as its own stand-alone Time Machine via it's built-in port.)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
4. Using an SSD for a TM backup is often a waste of money. You can get equivalent reliability at a lower cost using a HD. You also get more HD storage for the same cost which increases the number of days that have backups.

I think people go for SSD for speed when browsing for a past file.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The original poster has a 256G machine ... ok .... So your system and software will fit but not your photo library. So you need an external storage , lets say 1TB, and a seperate Time machine , lets say 2TB set to back up BOTH the 256 and the 1TB drive.... I would get samsung T7 drives, and connect them with the USB - C ports , or though a powered TB Hub, if you start to run out of ports. I use Crucial sata ssds in usb c housings, because i have a lot of them for consulting work. its the same thing... you do not need nvme TB4 housings, as your system is on the internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.