Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well here it is. I'm loving the shadowing - the square edges to it really make it look great ;)

killzone-2-20070710042144618.jpg

And as a comparison - this is what we were promised.

killzone-ps3-20060113104821593.jpg

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
At first glance its nice, then you look at it for a few minutes.... low quality textures, blocky shadows, etc...

Fails to impress, especially after seeing Call of Duty 4

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Whatever...it looks impressive. MRU you are kinda late this was posted in another thread.

I also thought it wasn't all that impressive but it was a small pic. I heard this is still a pre alpha build snap. I see great potential in this one...hope they deliver on the gameplay front...killzone for the PSP was great.

What was so good about COD4?...those trailers looked normal to me.

Bless

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Whatever...it looks impressive. MRU you are kinda late this was posted in another thread.

I also thought it wasn't all that impressive but it was a small pic. I heard this is still a pre alpha build snap. I see great potential in this one...hope they deliver on the gameplay front...killzone for the PSP was great.

What was so good about COD4?...those trailers looked normal to me.

Look at the exclusive video on gametrailers.com, the newest.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Look at the exclusive video on gametrailers.com, the newest.

I've seen that already..looks really good but whos to say this title won't look the same...only time will tell and we'll see whats up with this game. I'm hoping for something great because I'm benefitting from it as well as everyone with a PS3 or into video games that want theirs money worth:)

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A couple more - looks better than th first shot but.... I still think resistance looked a lot better and that will be 18 months old by the time this comes out.

killzone-2-20070711011953660.jpg

nice blurring on this one...

killzone-2-20070711011955113.jpg

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Watching the trailer, I think it's good enough to recover them from last e3.

Technically, I think it's still a far shot from the CG they first showed, but close enough in terms of style and effects that most people won't really notice or complain.

I'd peg it somewhere between CoD4 and Crysis just watching the low-res version of the trailer. It's very grey, and texture work seems to have that signature Playstation bad resolution for some reason (artists?).

It does look good, and character faces seem well done and unique. So long as it plays well, this will probably not disappoint fans, which is a really good thing for Sony.

Personally, I'm still skeptical seeing as Killzone 1 was pretty poor, and the PSP Killzone wasn't even the same kind of game. The art direction seemed nice, if not bland, but they've done enough graphical trickery to fool you into thinking this looks even better then it does, but even so, it looks pretty friggin' great.

Honestly, this is what people want out of Halo 3. Which the SP stuff is looking good, but what it lacks a lot of tends to be Atmosphere... I hope Bungie pulls that together!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
The game looks sweet...its right on with the trailer they showed in 05. It looks darker than the other titles in the series and I like that. Now that the graphics are looking great lets hope the gameplay is magic.

Ace sony.

Bless

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
The game looks sweet...its right on with the trailer they showed in 05. It looks darker than the other titles in the series and I like that. Now that the graphics are looking great lets hope the gameplay is magic.

It's great, but definitely not right on with the CG. The CG was much cleaner and crisp, better clearer textures, just looking at the hair you can tell it was much higher poly count as well (new trailer conveniently has everyone's hair cut short, or covered).

Everything about the CG trailer seemed smoother and clearer.

But hey, like I said, it did look great and they still have more time to work on it.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
the lighting effects are amazing........they truly did meet many of their goals(of course not all of them)

Meet the character you'll be playing as: Sev

snapshot20070711075818.jpg

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
It's great, but definitely not right on with the CG. The CG was much cleaner and crisp, better clearer textures, just looking at the hair you can tell it was much higher poly count as well (new trailer conveniently has everyone's hair cut short, or covered).

Everything about the CG trailer seemed smoother and clearer.

But hey, like I said, it did look great and they still have more time to work on it.

Again, CG will always look better than real-time because it's pre-rendered. BUT, real-time also has its advantages, such as the fact that it'll actually be much cleaner, especially if it's rendered in HD. There's a torrent going around that's rendered at high quality 1280 x 720 (720p) at 60 fps! And believe me, once you see this version, you'd agree that it's pretty much on par with what we saw E3 2005.

Here's a torrent link to the high-quality Killzone 2 trailer:
http://www.mybtfile.com/torrent/39048526/

So far, I'm very impressed with it. The animations seem VERY top-notch, thanks to the SPUs. :p

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
If you guys watch a HD quality of the trailer very carefully you can see the beginning models and textures are VERY DIFFERENT from the in game footage.

For example the first 10 seconds, the models looks VERY crisp and as promising as last year's trailer. However if watch a bit further into it, it quickly degrades. Look at the platform the people are standing on. At first glance when it is seen, you can see clear lines marking vents on the top of the ship and what not. 10 Seconds further into the trailer the texture of the ship quickly becomes blurry lines, the models lose alot of their definitive features it had from the beginning...

I personally believe they mashed up some CG work and some in game footage into one trailer, either that or they have already found the PS3s limits.

If you dont want to go and download the HD quality of the trailer, simply goto GameTrailers.com. You can view it there. I personally like using Quicktime because it downloads the video rather than it streaming the video.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
If you guys watch a HD quality of the trailer very carefully you can see the beginning models and textures are VERY DIFFERENT from the in game footage.

For example the first 10 seconds, the models looks VERY crisp and as promising as last year's trailer. However if watch a bit further into it, it quickly degrades. Look at the platform the people are standing on. At first glance when it is seen, you can see clear lines marking vents on the top of the ship and what not. 10 Seconds further into the trailer the texture of the ship quickly becomes blurry lines, the models lose alot of their definitive features it had from the beginning...

I personally believe they mashed up some CG work and some in game footage into one trailer, either that or they have already found the PS3s limits.

If you dont want to go and download the HD quality of the trailer, simply goto GameTrailers.com. You can view it there. I personally like using Quicktime because it downloads the video rather than it streaming the video.

Good eyes, sir. :)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
same... and the most of the stuff that is actually "in-game" is totally blurry, cant really make a good judgement...

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
^Did you read the impression of the game where they said the blurr was a effect in the game(when the gun is focused on an enemy or something of that nature)

I'll find the link for you..since you are not really reading the thing.

Bless

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
But this definitely shows it living up to expectations.

Hardly...

with the low textures and the low model detail, Id say it surely did not live up to the expectation. Just so we know what the expectation is, I was expecting it to be just like the CG demo they showed in the previous year. Unfortunately it doesnt live up to that at all...

Another thing I found while watching the two videos is that look at the ball of fire that engulfs the troop carrier as it goes down. Just terrible! The smoke coming off of it looks like DX8 generation smoke....

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Hardly...

with the low textures and the low model detail, Id say it surely did not live up to the expectation. Just so we know what the expectation is, I was expecting it to be just like the CG demo they showed in the previous year. Unfortunately it doesnt live up to that at all...

Another thing I found while watching the two videos is that look at the ball of fire that engulfs the troop carrier as it goes down. Just terrible! The smoke coming off of it looks like DX8 generation smoke....

Well, of course if you're expecting it to be "just like the CG demo", then clearly you had very high expectations. I disagree on your part about "it doesn't live up to that at all," mainly because to me and many others, it's quite impressive that they were able to ALMOST match what was shown in CG. I was one of the people who thought that they couldn't get near what was shown in CG, but it is pretty damn close. :p

Give it some time, since they've got plenty of time to shape it up before release date. Until like...Early 2008? We'll see how much better it looks by then. ;)

IT WILL NEVER TOUCH CRYSIS THOUGH! :D

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
It looks pretty damn good. The facial animation/rendering isn't as smooth, and they seem to have gotten rid of the trenchcoats on the shock troopers (cloth animation too costly?). The explosions/smoke aren't nearly on the same level, either.

Other than that, though, pretty primo. Fantastic lighting.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't believe any of it is "in-game" until they get off the ship.
(when you see the gun)

same... and the most of the stuff that is actually "in-game" is totally blurry, cant really make a good judgement...

^Did you read the impression of the game where they said the blurr was a effect in the game(when the gun is focused on an enemy or something of that nature)

The blur effect is a handy one for developers to implement as it hides a multitude of sins, like low resolution textures.

Your all right though, I downloaded the HD version from IGN and watched it scupuosly, and there was a definite change from the ship section to the the point they get off.

They defietly are using rendered intro, much like they did with the Resistance, which looks like in game graphics, but isn't really at all.

In a way they had no other choice, because there's no way they are going to match the expectations they had laid on their own shoulders with the E3 CGI demo before.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
fiercetiger224 said:
But this definitely shows it living up to expectations.
Hardly...

It had to be Done Killzone E3 05 VS 07. 56K warning!

I'd say they came a LOT closer than most skeptics predicted.......but thats just my opinion.
(I saw the extended trailer yesterday when watching the conference, and it was incredible)

Looks like they focused more on improving lighting and effects than anything else.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What's with all the hype for Killzone 2 anyroad, Eurogamer gave Killzone 1 50%! They're normally quite liberal with high scores too.
Or is it purely a graphic thing or what?

It'd almost be like if Nintendo announced Mario Sunshine 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.