Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Despite the fact it will prbably turn out to be a turkey like the first, I'll still probably buy it.

After all I bought Gears of War and have only played maybe 2 hours of the game since getting it.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^I Think this game will be better than the first one...they did do it right with the PSP version. KZ1 was kinda bland because of the framerate drops and stupid AI but other than that the game still had its enjoyable parts.

I hope they get it right.....anybody remember the game Nam? oh my gosh it sucked.

Bless

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Well, of course if you're expecting it to be "just like the CG demo", then clearly you had very high expectations.

Actually its the opposite, you have LOW expectations...

When Guerilla admitted the demo shown before was a complete CG and rendered, they also said they can mirror the same thing because the PS3 has enough horsepower.

Clearly this is NOT the case because of the low texture and low models quality that is shown. High expectation? No, I was expecting what they promised.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
you saw absolutely no improvements and think it deserves more bashing even though its gotten more praise than any other game at E3.........:confused:

did you visit the comparison thread?

you do realize that effects are usually the last thing a dev team works on.
While I agree some of the explosions were a little "meh," I have no doubts they will be much different come release day.

Anywho, some people just can't admit it looks great.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Made improvements? Compared to what? The 2005 video? The 2005 video looked ALOT BETTER than the one shown at this year's E3... so improvements made? Absolutely not...

Have I looked at the comparison thread? No, because as far as I can see from the Console Games forum, this seems to be the only KZ thread so far.

What I have seen is a comparison video of the 2005 video with this year's video, and as impressive as the gameplay looks, I am totally let down by the graphics. Can you honestly say it looks 1:1? Absolutely not, but of course it cant be, however the low textures, the models, and in general the low level of detail is absolutely a let down.

The only reason why it has so much praise is because of the hype and the anticipation of the game. Guerilla set a pretty high standard for themself to deliver, but in my books, they only delivered 75% of it.

In all honesty, I do look forward to the game, and I would most definitely buy it since I enjoyed the first one. I am no way bashing the game. It simply did not meet the standard the developers have made for themself atleast graphic wise.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just downloded the PSN trailer, on my 42" I have to admit it looks great in action. The animation and lighting on the characters is very impressive, but there is still a fair amount of low res texturing, but if they can improve that - it should be quite the looker, but still not CGI quality, but heck nothing this gen is going to look like that E3 trailer.

Downloaded the new Uncharterd trailer too. Is it me or are they putting more emphasis on the shooting aspect of the game. It's starting to bare more of a resemblance to Gears than Lara.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Well not to you wako which in turn sucks for everyone:rolleyes: but for the majority of people it made an impression. theres no doubt that this game will improve for release and how the game is shaping up....only goodness.

They delivered only 75%(you said) on a pre pre alpha build but thats not good enough for you huh...

Theres much to be improved but as what has been shown is very impressive which only to a select few seems to be a complete let down.

Bless

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Watched the video yesterday; looks nothing like the E3 "target video" :p in terms of polish but it does look nice. Good work so far at least...I'm sure it will be a good game when it's released.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Downloaded the new Uncharterd trailer too. Is it me or are they putting more emphasis on the shooting aspect of the game. It's starting to bare more of a resemblance to Gears than Lara.

yeah, i just watched the trailer and it definitely does have a very odd resemblance of GoW, almost too familiar...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Speaking of GoW and that linked e-mpire thread - You guys should read the comments from people who think it looks better than GoW :D hilarious people.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Seems like the new video throws around a lot of motion blur (as MRU says- hides sins). New shows have many visible polygons compared to the smooth previous video. New also has some kind of contrast consistancy issue. Textures in general don't look as detailed in the new video, projected shadows; ouch.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
depending on the scene and whats going on the blur goes back and forth
(sometimes 05 is better, sometimes 07 is better)

First, Hulst wanted to show us not only that everything from the level's introductory cinematic to the actual ground combat was in-engine, but also to note the amount of detail in the level. So we paused the game with the intruder landing vehicle still airborne so that de Jonge could move the camera through the clouds and all the way down to the city square below--seamlessly. There were no tricks, the entire level was there, already loaded into memory so that we could eventually enjoy a seamless transition from the cinematic to live gameplay.

When de Jonge hit the ground and began playing the game, Hulst said that they added the brief checkpoint-style pause at that point specifically for the demo so that journalists could see for themselves that the game is real. The final game will have a seamless transition from cinematics to combat. As de Jong continued to lay waste to the Helghast, Hulst and ter Heide explained the game's extensive post-processing system, which allows for a more subtle film grain effect than the one in the first game, along with blur and depth of field. What was most striking was when they turned the post-processing effects off: the level looked almost completely different, as if it were taking place in the mid-afternoon. It's clear that while Guerilla's painterly art style is still very much in effect, it's not just the PS3 that makes the planet of Helghan look different from that of Vecta; the designers have art directed them differently as well.

I guess nobody like to read around here.

One of the things that made us believe in Guerrilla's potential, even when it hadn't yet been fully realized, was the company's attention to detail. Looking up above, we see cables that look like power lines or telephone lines, swaying in the wind. (There's practically not a jagged line to be found on the power lines, or any other lines, for that matter; we're told it's because Killzone 2 is using the Cell's SPUs and the RSX graphics chip to achieve 4x full-screen anti-aliasing.)

from the article in one of my earlier posts

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
compare the pics side by side and tell me you see NO improvements at all.......

ROFL!

How is there an improvement?! All they did was blur low texture quality images...

LOOK AT THE MODELS! The models are terrible as well. The original movie had free flowing hair, the ingame is just static color on their head. The gun lost so much detail and most of it is completely blurred. The sights on the gun is most apparent. Now it is just a sight which you can see through where as before it was a reflective scope. Also from the image you can see the fireball is TERRIBLE compared to the original video. The smoke coming off of it looks like sprites rather then a 3D smoke. And one of the first things that popped out at me was that the face on the models is really poor compared to the first. Before you can see wrinkles on their faces as they talked. Especially near the eyes, but no longer.

If you honestly think there has been an improvement, I really dont know what to say to you other than learn to be a better critic....

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
What's with all the hype for Killzone 2 anyroad, Eurogamer gave Killzone 1 50%! They're normally quite liberal with high scores too.
Or is it purely a graphic thing or what?

It'd almost be like if Nintendo announced Mario Sunshine 2.

No, because SMS was actually a pretty good game (at least a 75%!)

That would be more like... hmm... Nintendo hyping up a new P.N.03 game as their Killer App.

Or Microsoft shouting about how the awesome graphics of a new Operation Flashpoint game is going to be a Resitance or MGS4 killer.

I'm with you, jimmi, who actually cares about Killzone? It got on the hype meter soley because of that CG trailer, if they had not shown that nobody would even care about the game at all - because the first one sucked.

Killzone: Liberation is not good proof KZ2 will be anything special. That's like comparing Halo Wars to Halo 3... pointless. Liberation is a top-down 3rd person action/strategy game - Killzone 2 is a FPS. :p

Now if this had been being made by Insomniac, well sure, bring on the hype.

Personally, I think Haze should be getting the attention Killzone 2 is getting. It's being made by a great team who knows how to make a console shooter. Plus, 4-player co-op, come on people!

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Some more gameplay footage for you guys to destroy :p

For being pre-alpha and stemming from a CG target, I think they have done a tremendous job.
Lighting is incredible, the Helghast models better(Art direction) than the CG vid, and lets not even begin to talk about the blood splatter going on everywhere.
Flames, explosions and other "pretty-pixel" garbage gets fixed in the end of a games life cycle, so all will improve - you can quote me on that.

Sure, if you wanted to be a harsh critic, you could tear it apart(when comparing to CG video), but then try comparing it to another game.......and remember, its still pre-alpha. :cool:

(Haoshiro - we don't know what online features this will/wont have, so there is no comparison) ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ that video is cool :) OK so it's not cgi - but it's still looking v.promising at this stage

OT. Did we hear anything about rumble pads for the ps3 at this years e3 ?

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Killzone: Liberation is not good proof KZ2 will be anything special. That's like comparing Halo Wars to Halo 3... pointless. Liberation is a top-down 3rd person action/strategy game - Killzone 2 is a FPS. :p

Just as KZ1 is not a good indication that this will be bad right....its all made by the same studio(one bad game destroys them all I guess). A lot of people care about the game...if they didn't then we wouldnt(or thousands) be discussing how much we hate/love it...no matter the hype.

I'm just going to wait and see the gameplay in action because this is getting pointless. I think we should all wait and see what will happen to at least all these games that coming out before we call them "awesome"

Bless

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
^I mean until I get to play it:D Discussing this stuff here is getting to be a bother so I'll just wait until I get my hands on the final product.

That gameplay footage is cool....now i'll go back to R6V

Bless

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i don't get killtone 2 hype either... it's not like with bioshock where we are actually seeing something new in a while
so far it looks like a " big guys in armoured suits" game... of which we definatly have no shortage this generation

for the gameplay video: looks good graphically and has 1-2 cool scenes with enemies jumping over a fence butapart of that it's shooter basics .. i found the night vision scene of COD4 much cooler and more interesting

it might end up like gears of war: 30 second footage: wow, 5-10 minutes footage: yawn

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I think the video of the guy actually playing is really good. A lot of little things look cool. The reloading looks a lot better than most games, as does the helghast getting shot. Shot in the shoulder, they actually grab the shoulder or move in a more realistic way. The blood actually pools on the ground after they lay shot as well. The cement pillars break away when they are shot instead of just bullet 'stickers' on the walls. The action looks really fun as well (subjective I suppose).

All this negativity is so old. I guess it justifies hating Sony or owning just a Wii/360. It's kind of expected from this Nintendo based board as well as the fact that Killzone has been a bit of a joke since E3 '05 but still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.