Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunny5

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
You might say I'm trolling but hear me out: Unlike iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac, Vision Pro is NOT an essential device which is a huge problem.

Truth be told, AR/VR/MR markets are extremely far from consumer markets which has been proven for several decades. Based on the history, any kind of consumer AR/VR/MR devices literally failed or disappeared because consumers were not convinced to buy and use. Instead, a lot of companies switched to B2B markets. Yes, AR/VR/MR markets still failed to justify and convince consumers to buy it due to many issues. You might say Meta Quest series are successful but they never did. They sold more than 20 million devices before Quest 3 released in 3 years and yet, they still considered as failure or not successful as people did not use it regularly.

If you think the time will solve the problem, think again and it never did. Having a lot of apps didnt really solve the problem like Mac App Store. Currently, all AR/VR/MR devices still failed for consumer markets while they have more uses for B2B markets such as MS HoloLens 2. Why? Because they lack contents and purposes. Vision Pro is nice and high-end product but still, it has issues that AR/VR/MR devices already had. Literally, who really wanna use Vision Pro instead of iPhone, iPad, and Mac? Vision Pro does NOT provide unique usages over other devices as consumers failed to see it essential. At least AR/VR/MR consumer devices have gaming purposes but Vision Pro does NOT support both PCVR and hardware controller which literally makes it impossible to port VR games. Even then, most VR games suck and there aren't many great games like Half-life: Alyx. Clearly, Vision Pro is limited compared to other devices.

Yes, at least Vision Pro has its own ecosystem unlike others but most of us still not convinced to use AR/VR/MR devices. That's a hard truth. Without purposes, it has no uses. Some people may say it works fine but they dont represent all users. Even Meta failed even if they sold more than 20 million devices as people did not use it well but less than 200,000? That's a joke and developers and companies aren't really willing to develop apps just for Vision Pro. 1000 native apps? Well, no killer apps so far. I'm still not convinced to use Vision Pro after I tested it several times. You see, AR/VR/MR markets aren't easy at all and that's why all companies are struggling with AR/VR/MR.

Even if Vision Pro becomes smaller and lighter, the purpose has to be given or consumers will NOT gonna buy it. Like I said before, Vision Pro or any kind of AR/VR/MR devices were never be essential like other devices that Apple created or at least have some purposes. At this point, Vision Pro has too limited usages while not convinced to replace Apple devices. As I checked the history of AR/VR/MR, I am doubtful about Vision Pro's future. The usage is too limited and there is really nothing I can do other than watching movies. I am not convinced to use and so others.

I'm not saying that Vision Pro is a total failure. But Vision Pro itself isn't really different from AR/VR/MR devices and for consumer markets, there are NO successful devices as of today and Meta is not even successful as well. From my own perspective, Apple really need to bring a cheap version as soon as possible while adding more and unique software features which can distinguish from other AR/VR/MR devices since Apple has a large ecosystem. Dont forget that Apple already had many failures with new technology such as Touch Bar, butterfly keyboard, Mac Pro 2013, lighting port, XDR stand, and more. Literally, AR/VR/MR devices are still not great for consumers and lacks contents and usages. What makes Vision Pro so different from others? Huh?

AR/VR/MR is still a whole new frontier and no consumer AR/VR/MR devices has ever succeeded which is the truth. If Apple can not convince consumers to use Vision Pro due to limited usage and lack of contents, they are gonna end up being failure or a waste of money. At this point, Apple has to show something from WWDC 2024.

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
All of Apple's products were 'not essential' when they launched. For some people, they aren't essential even now - there's plenty who don't own an iPad, or a Mac, or a Watch.

I do agree that the VR/AR market has proven to be a bit tough to crack thus far...but so was the tablet market, and the smartphone market, and the smartwatch market. Apple wasn't the first in any of those. They survived just fine.

sunny5

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
All of Apple's products were 'not essential' when they launched. For some people, they aren't essential even now - there's plenty who don't own an iPad, or a Mac, or a Watch.

I do agree that the VR/AR market has proven to be a bit tough to crack thus far...but so was the tablet market, and the smartphone market, and the smartwatch market. Apple wasn't the first in any of those. They survived just fine.
Vision Pro or AR/VR/MR itself is far from being essential from the beginning. That's a huge difference. Even now, AR/VR/MR devices still failed to convince consumers which is a main issue and yet, Apple's Vision Pro is more limited than others for gaming.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Vision Pro or AR/VR/MR itself is far from being essential from the beginning. That's a huge difference. Even now, AR/VR/MR devices still failed to convince consumers which is a main issue.

And my point is that a decade ago, most people said "I don't even wear a watch, my phone tells the time."

Two decades ago, they said "My phone is for phone calls."

Four decades ago, "What would I ever need a computer for!?"

Maybe Apple won't make people see the value in Vision Pro, or maybe they will. But the market sentiment right now is meaningless.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Because that's the reality of AR/VR/MR consumer markets. Literally, none of them ever succeed so I see negatives perspective especially since Vision Pro lack some features that AR/VR/MR already have such as hardware controller and PCVR.
You, in 2007:
Because that’s the reality of the smartphone consumer market. Literally none of them ever succeed so I see negatives perspective especially since iPhones lack some features that smartphones have such as a hardware keyboard and App Store.

sunny5

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
And my point is that a decade ago, most people said "I don't even wear a watch, my phone tells the time."

Two decades ago, they said "My phone is for phone calls."

Four decades ago, "What would I ever need a computer for!?"

Maybe Apple won't make people see the value in Vision Pro, or maybe they will. But the market sentiment right now is meaningless.
Phone becomes smartphone. End of the story. Beside, there were smartphone like phones such as PDA phones way before iPhone released.

sunny5

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
You, in 2007:
Because that’s the reality of the smartphone consumer market. Literally none of them ever succeed so I see negatives perspective especially since iPhones lack some features that smartphones have such as a hardware keyboard and App Store.
Wrong perspective. AR/VR/MR markets already failed several times unlike iPhone as it grew up continuously since 2007.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
The Vision Pro is now Apple's halo product (adiós Mac Pro). It creates a Disneyland-in-your-living-room experience for customers who can afford it. And for everyone else, it's an aspirational product. At the very least it will generate more interest in the Apple brand like any good halo product is supposed to do.

Last edited:

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I can’t wait to revisit this thread in 5 to 10 years.
You say that but don’t forget that both Google and Samsung entered and exited the VR market SEVERAL years ago. Go ahead and revisit this thread years down the line and see what a true failure AVP is. Have you even done research on XReal Air Pro 2? Lightweight glasses form factor that offers TRUE AR and the ability to dim the lenses from clear to dark “sunglasses”. And yet you have this idea that AVP in 5 to 10 years will be so advanced that you come back to this thread?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Yeah, this is gonna age badly. I hate to recycle the same “remember the iphone and how it did” crap, but really, this appears to be the same cycle over again. There’s always that danger when you comment early on in the first stage of develpment for a new product when its not even complete and call it a failure.

iPhones replaced gps, Cameras, etc. ipad replaced notebooks, art books, magazines, even laptops for some people. Vision will replace monitors AND tv’s. Now? Of coarse not. 10 years from now? I wouldn’t be surprised if we are all wearing smaller glasses like products and having shared holographic experiences together.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
You might say I'm trolling but hear me out: Unlike iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac, Vision Pro is NOT an essential device which is a huge problem.

Truth be told, AR/VR/MR markets are extremely far from consumer markets which has been proven for several decades. Based on the history, any kind of consumer AR/VR/MR devices literally failed or disappeared because consumers were not convinced to buy and use. Instead, a lot of companies switched to B2B markets. Yes, AR/VR/MR markets still failed to justify and convince consumers to buy it due to many issues. You might say Meta Quest series are successful but they never did. They sold more than 20 million devices before Quest 3 released in 3 years and yet, they still considered as failure or not successful as people did not use it regularly.

If you think the time will solve the problem, think again and it never did. Having a lot of apps didnt really solve the problem like Mac App Store. Currently, all AR/VR/MR devices still failed for consumer markets while they have more uses for B2B markets such as MS HoloLens 2. Why? Because they lack contents and purposes. Vision Pro is nice and high-end product but still, it has issues that AR/VR/MR devices already had. Literally, who really wanna use Vision Pro instead of iPhone, iPad, and Mac? Vision Pro does NOT provide unique usages over other devices as consumers failed to see it essential. At least AR/VR/MR consumer devices have gaming purposes but Vision Pro does NOT support both PCVR and hardware controller which literally makes it impossible to port VR games. Even then, most VR games suck and there aren't many great games like Half-life: Alyx. Clearly, Vision Pro is limited compared to other devices.

Yes, at least Vision Pro has its own ecosystem unlike others but most of us still not convinced to use AR/VR/MR devices. That's a hard truth. Without purposes, it has no uses. Some people may say it works fine but they dont represent all users. Even Meta failed even if they sold more than 20 million devices as people did not use it well but less than 200,000? That's a joke and developers and companies aren't really willing to develop apps just for Vision Pro. 1000 native apps? Well, no killer apps so far. I'm still not convinced to use Vision Pro after I tested it several times. You see, AR/VR/MR markets aren't easy at all and that's why all companies are struggling with AR/VR/MR.

Even if Vision Pro becomes smaller and lighter, the purpose has to be given or consumers will NOT gonna buy it. Like I said before, Vision Pro or any kind of AR/VR/MR devices were never be essential like other devices that Apple created or at least have some purposes. At this point, Vision Pro has too limited usages while not convinced to replace Apple devices. As I checked the history of AR/VR/MR, I am doubtful about Vision Pro's future. The usage is too limited and there is really nothing I can do other than watching movies. I am not convinced to use and so others.

I'm not saying that Vision Pro is a total failure. But Vision Pro itself isn't really different from AR/VR/MR devices and for consumer markets, there are NO successful devices as of today and Meta is not even successful as well. From my own perspective, Apple really need to bring a cheap version as soon as possible while adding more and unique software features which can distinguish from other AR/VR/MR devices since Apple has a large ecosystem. Dont forget that Apple already had many failures with new technology such as Touch Bar, butterfly keyboard, Mac Pro 2013, lighting port, XDR stand, and more. Literally, AR/VR/MR devices are still not great for consumers and lacks contents and usages.

AR/VR/MR is still a whole new frontier and no consumer AR/VR/MR devices has ever succeeded. If Apple can not convince consumers to use Vision Pro due to limited usage and lack of contents, they aren't gonna end up being failure or a waste of money. At this point, Apple has to show something from WWDC 2024.
Your insistence on referring to Vision Pro as AR/VR/MR then applying your personal assessment of AR/VR/MR to Vision Pro is telling. The device creator (Apple) refers to Vision Pro as a Spatial Computing device (a new product category), explained what Spatial Computing is and how it is different from AR/VR/MR, and deliberately avoids the term AR/VR/MR because it is an incorrect categorization of the device. Is it that hard to approach this new device with an open mind and respect for the vision and life energies of its creators?

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
You say that but don’t forget that both Google and Samsung entered and exited the VR market SEVERAL years ago. Go ahead and revisit this thread years down the line and see what a true failure AVP is. Have you even done research on XReal Air Pro 2? Lightweight glasses form factor that offers TRUE AR and the ability to dim the lenses from clear to dark “sunglasses”. And yet you have this idea that AVP in 5 to 10 years will be so advanced that you come back to this thread?
If the XReal Air is so good and VP is destined to fail, why is XReal Air only ever mentioned in anti-VP posts and largely invisible otherwise despite being in the market for some time? Can you not see the fallacy of using that example to make your argument?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Kinda agree with OP here - phones, tablets, watches etc were all already established markets.

Headsets are such a hard sell, but I could see it happening when Apple gets to the stage where you have a device that simply fits in your bag and you reach down and throw it on and take a video call/meeting etc.

This can happen and Apple can grow it - but they really need a lot of time. The sales trajectory won't be anything like their phones or watches for sure. A good point to get an idea of the future here isn't the AVP. It would be when Apple releases a mass market device - then you could see if Apple has the right idea.

sunny5

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
Kinda agree with OP here - phones, tablets, watches etc were all already established markets.

Headsets are such a hard sell, but I could see it happening when Apple gets to the stage where you have a device that simply fits in your bag and you reach down and throw it on and take a video call/meeting etc.

This can happen and Apple can grow it - but they really need a lot of time. The sales trajectory won't be anything like their phones or watches for sure. A good point to get an idea of the future here isn't the AVP. It would be when Apple releases a mass market device - then you could see if Apple has the right idea.
The problem is that AR/VR/MR markets are still niche and failed several times. They are more optimized for B2B, not B2C. Unlike other categories, it has been proven to be a failure which is a huge concern. As of today, most of people are not convinced to use AR/VR/MR devices.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
It all goes down to not wanting to have something tied to the face. It’s like wearing a face mask all over again. Ok for half an hour but then it gets uncomfortable and my skin wants to BREATHE
Glasses man. It needs to be the size of glasses. Even if they’re relatively large ish glasses, people can tolerate that better than vr goggles the weight of an iPad Pro on your face

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.