Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Nope. Getting rid of the charging port altogether would be a deal breaker for me. I hate wireless charging.
I would hate wireless charging in its current form on the go. I love it for overnight but it needs more speed, range and public availability for it to be portable.

billygard

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
Seattle
Here is the big question. Multitracking with the iOS Garageband has high latency issues on bluetooth headphones, but works great with a plug-in lightning headphones. So are they going to pull the iOS Garageband app due to its poor functionality with bluetooth? I know I'm the first to address this question, since almost nobody but me sings barbershop harmony tracks into Garageband, especially the mobile version. The solution of course is to provide for latency adjustments on audio tracks, as many multitracking programs do. But I saw no instuctions in iOS Garageband for doing this.

Last edited:

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I wish Apple would stop with these half-measures. I want an iPhone implanted into my brain! Why is there no 2020/2021 iPhone coming that plugs directly into my brain? It frustrates me to no end to have to carry around so many objects when there could be simple implants for the devices I use daily!!

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'm not saying I'm in favor of a portless phone, but I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms about it. For one, this phone will launch in 21 months. That's a long time from now, plenty of time for the details to be ironed out and context to be shared through leaks. Secondly, it appears that it's only the top tier, highest-end model that will be portless. There will be other iPhones to buy. I could understand the anger if Apple removed the lightning port from every single phone in 2021. That would be a bit drastic. Instead, it sounds like Apple will slowly guide us toward a true wireless device, starting with the most expensive model and eventually working their way through the lineup.

"If you don't want an iPhone __, don't buy it..."

One of the few sensible responses I've seen. I was under no impression that all of the phones in 2021 were to be port-less yet everyone is acting that this phone is going to be their only choice......I can't comprehend why people get worked up over what is, at the moment, an imaginary device that's two years away if it's released at all.

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I think they'll put a magnetic smart connector sort of thing on the iPhone and then have a Lightning dongle so that you can plug a dual Lightning dongle into that dongle, and then plug a headphone dongle into that dongle, making a triple dongle chain. Ok, I know you could just get a dongle with a headphone jack and a lightning port on it for charging and listening, but I like saying triple dongle chain. This might top the TB3>TB2>FW800>FW400 double-dongle plus an adapter chain that the MBPs need for legacy FW devices.

Reactions: JosephAW

chetzar

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Yes it is. You just refuse to adapt.
Every try syncing over WiFi? It takes forever. All wireless phone is a terrible idea at this point in time.
Particularly when you are syncing 256GB of data.

iPhone goes wireless, I go iPhoneless.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Every try syncing over WiFi? It takes forever. All wireless phone is a terrible idea at this point in time.

Yes, and it's never been an issue at all.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
A completely wireless iPhone would be cool. Perhaps a new Mac mini Pro could have the wireless charger built-in, placing the phone on the mini to charge.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada

Direct devices WiFi to WiFi can be fast.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
A completely wireless iPhone would be cool. Perhaps a new Mac mini Pro could have the wireless charger built-in, placing the phone on the mini to charge.
Yeah, sounds real convenient when traveling - a differently shaped big ol’ proprietary magnetic puck for each device.

Reactions: Vjosullivan

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
how would a pro device go wireless if it cant do speeds of what a cable does? No way apple removes ports on a computer it doesn't need to remove the ports for.

Reactions: compwiz1202

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Yeah, sounds real convenient when traveling - a differently shaped big ol’ proprietary magnetic puck for each device.
Recharging when travelling is my big concern (well, when I get to travel again). I'm now 100% hooked on wireless charging at home, I've even added the capability to some of my older devices that never leave my home using these (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DLYF1OQ/) so that I can simply pick up things and put them down again onto charging pads around my home instead of having loose cables that I have to keep fiddling with to unplug and plug back in whenever I want to use something.

I wonder whether some manufacturers might be able to re-purpose the form factor of my wireless power receivers, or as close to the size as possible, for a very compact travel charging mat. The pad I linked to is at most the thickness of a credit card and in terms of height and width even smaller than a credit card. I certainly wouldn't mind carrying a charger in this form factor in my travel kit and I wouldn't need it to be super high speed/power. For my use case it would only need to be able to get a full charge into my iPhone 11 Max in the 8 hours or so when I'm asleep in a hotel room (or maybe 6 hours to give a bit of margin for error and possibly bigger capacity phone batteries in the future.

Has anyone actually disassembled a regular charging pad? How small are the actual internals once all the plastic casing is removed? I'm wondering if one could make something a bit like my travel charging mat idea by extracting the innards from a cheap and cheerful charging pad and maybe sandwiching those innards between 2 sheets of thin cardboard or even thick paper. If someone doesn't come out with a proper one I suspect that might become a project for me in 2021 if Apple does go 'completely wireless'

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I hardly ever use the port but I suspect many will not like this
Apple can't even get past 7.5W! And then it needs better speed and public availability before I will ever get a totally wireless iPhone. And then the CarPlay. Need a reasonably priced wireless solution that is compatible with every car model with wired CarPlay.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
With the introduction of MagSafe, the removal of the EarPods and charger from the box, and how frequently they referred to the MagSafe feature in yesterday’s presentation, it is now clear more than ever, that Apple is strongly intending to fulfill Jony Ive’s vision and release that much rumored and fabled port less/completely wireless iPhone... insane!

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
With the introduction of MagSafe, the removal of the EarPods and charger from the box, and how frequently they referred to the MagSafe feature in yesterday’s presentation, it is now clear more than ever, that Apple is strongly intending to fulfill Jony Ive’s vision and release that much rumored and fabled port less/completely wireless iPhone... insane!
In a few short years, your declaration that a "port less/completely wireless" smartphone is "insane" is going to sound very quaint. ?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
In a few short years, your declaration that a "port less/completely wireless" smartphone is "insane" is going to sound very quaint. ?
True, it's clear the move is away from a power cord for charging and backup to wireless charging and incremental cloud backups via wifi/cellular. Not only does it eliminate the cost of including cables but moves users to buying an ongoing cloud subscription.

It also provides Amazon with a way to make Prime even more attractive by including backup storage for a phone, much like they already include unlimited photo storage with Prime.

The next step is for Apple/Amazon et. al. to create their own MVNO to move closer to a complete end to end solution.

wilderkun

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
Around
I'm pretty sure that the new iPhone will splinter "magsafe" into a "pro version" that allows data transfer at high speed, and "regular " "magsafe" that just for charging. A shorter "Pro" version will be in the box, and there will be so many adapters we're going to lose our minds...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.