Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
20GB of conferences (audio books)
30GB of hand picked music that I love, loaded In my computer and iPhone and iPod Classic 5.5. I don't like to make playlists. Shuffle the whole library, that's my playlist.
60GB of Music that I don't like so much. External hard drive.

I might start collecting full musical concerts of the artist that I like.

1623670231614.png

29608 songs, 92:15:39:06 total time, 670.49 GB

All music, all hand-curated over the span of 22 years, all metadata filled manually (including all sleeve art), all duplicates removed (different pressings of a particular album, like Aja by Steely Dan, are not duplicates), all defects replaced (or removed until a replacement rip can redress it), and I’m still far from being “done”.

Sources include vinyl rips, CD rips, and other lossless and lossy sources (such as high-res 24-/32-bit and >48kHz remasters). There is probably around another 300GB queued to be added at some point. Zero tracks originate from the iTunes Music Store or any other microransaction source (such as Amazon).

This house uses iTunes 10.6.3 for everything, and everything gets sent to the preamp via s/PDIF/TOSlink from a dedicated MacBook Pro.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
I've got two questions. First off, why is this thread only limited to iTunes and the iPod? Shouldn't it cover all devices and Apple Music since iTunes is hardly used at all anymore?

I've got two questions. First off, why is this thread only limited to iTunes and the iPod? Shouldn't it cover all devices and Apple Music since iTunes is hardly used at all anymore?

I have no idea. I merely found the thread on the iPod forum.

And, well, maybe you prefer to use Apple Music, but a lot of people still use iTunes because it works for them. And, yes, there are still plenty of people who have not chosen to move their media servers beyond Mojave because they still want to run legacy 32-bit software.

Reactions: Nightfury326

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Because this is a thread from 2011…

The thread is also somewhat pointless, since the size (in GB) of your music library depends a lot on whether you use AAC or Apple Lossless or another file format.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
View attachment 1792989
29608 songs, 92:15:39:06 total time, 670.49 GB

All music, all hand-curated over the span of 22 years, all metadata filled manually (including all sleeve art), all duplicates removed (different pressings of a particular album, like Aja by Steely Dan, are not duplicates), all defects replaced (or removed until a replacement rip can redress it), and I’m still far from being “done”.

Sources include vinyl rips, CD rips, and other lossless and lossy sources (such as high-res 24-/32-bit and >48kHz remasters). There is probably around another 300GB queued to be added at some point. Zero tracks originate from the iTunes Music Store or any other microransaction source (such as Amazon).

This house uses iTunes 10.6.3 for everything, and everything gets sent to the preamp via s/PDIF/TOSlink from a dedicated MacBook Pro.

Well, this may be an old thread, but it is still interesting to compare music libraries with others who use iTunes/Music similarly. Your practice in filling in metadata, album art and so forth is very similar to mine, it is a painstaking process but very satisfying for those of us who care about such things!

I've put most but not all of my CDs into iTunes too (now upgraded to Music 1.1.5.74, which I guess comes with macOS Big Sur, I haven't had reason to stay with older versions). My library size is just over 52,500 'songs' i.e. tracks, just under 2400 albums, 1.1 TB, which is a ridiculous amount of music but I quit purchasing CDs a few years ago and am still absorbing it all (mostly classical, but a sampling of most other genre's). My CD rips are all Apple Lossless. And it is all kept on a separate drive that I back up regularly.

I do add to my library occasionally from Apple Music since I pay for the service and if I want to try something newly released, or that I hadn't previously purchased. Quality of the downloads won't be the same as my CD rips but I can live with that.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
I started out with an 8 gig iPod nano. (Which was on my old 8 gig iPod nano I can't use it anymore because I have Apple Music. (Which I bought because of my old iPhone 6s. (64 GB) was acting up besides the fact I wouldn't be able to download the newest IOS.) I now have the iPhone 12 mini (128 GB) since the official launch day.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
When I know I’m going to around my MBA. I make a playlist. (I’ve been looking forward to a song hitting 100 plays. I make my list according to the play count. (Defending from the highest played songs on each “page”.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I'll also join in on the fun to compare my numbers:
I have 45gb of music in my iTunes library.
I also have a 6TB external HDD with my other media which consists of:
183gb of movies
731gb of series
70gb of Lynda.com tutorials (yes..)
around 30gb of home movies
around 200gb of game backups

I also have 23gb of ebooks and 56gb of magazines.

And last but not least: A whopping 33 megabytes of fonts :p

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Just checked mine and mine is teetering right on the edge of 130 GB, crazy that I have that much music and music videos :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.