Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I wasn’t able to preorder a series X. What will launch day stock be like? Which stores are best to try? Is there any foreseeable system for reservations we’ve heard of? I get the feeling if you get one by Christmas you’ll be lucky. Thoughts? What’s your plan of attack for getting one of the new consoles?

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Same here might wait out till a bundle deal comes around.
I already sold my one s and second switch.
I bought a ps4 pro and ps now back in June, so lots of back log for me. Also snatched a barely used psvr for only $100.
I’m for sure want to get the next Xbox, but don’t know if I want the s or x.
I still have a 42” 720p ? tv, and no plan on upgrading any time soon.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
My launch day purchase will be a PS5 and Demon‘s Souls. No further games or accessories.

Next game may be Far Cry 6, pending reviews.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I wasn’t able to preorder a series X. What will launch day stock be like? Which stores are best to try? Is there any foreseeable system for reservations we’ve heard of? I get the feeling if you get one by Christmas you’ll be lucky. Thoughts? What’s your plan of attack for getting one of the new consoles?
Launch day stock for PS5 and the X/S will be low.

Getting one will likely require taking a day off work and queuing from the crack of dawn.

I still have a 42” 720p ? tv, and no plan on upgrading any time soon.
You will see a substantial improvement in image quality which you upgrade to answer TV.

I have a 9 year old 1080p TV on which HD content doesn't look anywhere near as nice as in my 2020 1440p monitor or 2015 4k TV.

Reactions: miamialley

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What will launch day stock be like?
Very very slim. I heard Walmart in the US is not doing pre-orders so queing up well before the crack of dawn might net you one there. Outside the USA it's near zero.

It seems for most people you are in one of three camps.

1. You pre-ordered early on the day pre-orders opened up and you should get one on launch day. No guarantee but a good chance.
2. You pre-ordered late on the day pre-orders opened up or on a different day. You are not getting a launch day console. Though you might get a later 2020 shipment one.
3. You missed the very small pre-order window before pre-orders were closed. You are not getting a console in 2020. There's a good chance pre-orders might not even be back up till 2021. When in 2021 you will get a console is still up in the air. Hopefully it's first half 2021, but no one knows.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
sitting this holiday console launch out - for sanity's sake...

plenty, plenty of Xbox One, PS4, PSVR, Switch and PC game backlog anyways...
I think this is the sane choice for most people.
Best to do this and not give in to the scalpers.

Reactions: compwiz1202

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Very very slim. I heard Walmart in the US is not doing pre-orders so queing up well before the crack of dawn might net you one there. Outside the USA it's near zero.

It seems for most people you are in one of three camps.

1. You pre-ordered early on the day pre-orders opened up and you should get one on launch day. No guarantee but a good chance.
2. You pre-ordered late on the day pre-orders opened up or on a different day. You are not getting a launch day console. Though you might get a later 2020 shipment one.
3. You missed the very small pre-order window before pre-orders were closed. You are not getting a console in 2020. There's a good chance pre-orders might not even be back up till 2021. When in 2021 you will get a console is still up in the air. Hopefully it's first half 2021, but no one knows.

Target has already said they're taking launch day orders for in store pickup. No walk in buyers. There will be consoles to find on launch, but the demand will be through the roof and everything will likely be purchased online due to COVID.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Not gonna lie. As someone who has pre-ordered a Series X I am massively jealous of Dual Sense! ??

It's true innovation that adds immersion. Once you experience it, there is no going back.

Through the acquisition of Bathesda, Xbox have access to PS5, technical documentation and how developers create the profile for it.

I think Xbox already has a new corresponding controller in development that will have a complete rethink of the Xbox controller inside and out. The elite controller will also have to be redesigned.

An Xbox dual sense controller could be ready in Q3-Q4 next year. Basically, don't waste your money on a second xbox controller that will be outdated in 2021.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I guess I haven't been paying attention...what exactly does the Dual Sense do that sets it apart from previous controllers? I thought it was just a slightly upgraded rumble feature...

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I guess I haven't been paying attention...what exactly does the Dual Sense do that sets it apart from previous controllers? I thought it was just a slightly upgraded rumble feature...
Dual Sense is a BIG deal and will add a new dimension of immersion.

Rumble hasn't changed much in team year. It's either on or off with varying strengths level.

Basically like a sex toy

Dual Sense is two things:
1. More motors, of different sizes with varying oscillations enables the controller simulate the sensation of walking on sand, swimming, gliding on ice, punching glass etc. The controller is also capable of haptic feedback.

Basically, multidimensional like a super expense massage chair.

2. Adaptive triggers. The triggers have resistance motors in them and can vary how far you can press the trigger and the amount of pressure you need to apply.

The triggers also have independent vibration motors in them. This will enable developers to make weapons or even pedals of cars feel drastically different depending on what you are using.

Dual shock vs Dual Sense is like comparing a stereo speaker setup to a 5.1 Surround system.

5-gigapixel-scale-20_zqjrj.jpg

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
When David Lee, MKBHD and Digital Foundry can't hide or tone down their enthusiasm for something, you know that it's legit. Dual Sense is clearly a very big deal.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I have a dualsense coming from Amazon this afternoon. Excited to hold it and pretend I have a console to use it on!

Really hoping my Amazon console pre order shows up on release day, but I’m not holding my breath.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Dual Sense is cool and all but it only matters for exclusives. 3rd parties develop for the lowest common denominator and aren't going to bother putting in the time to make use of it.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Dual Sense is cool and all but it only matters for exclusives. 3rd parties develop for the lowest common denominator and aren't going to bother putting in the time to make use of it.

Several 3rd party games have announced Dual Sense support. Long term, support for it will hinge on:

How easy it is to map haptics to in-game actions and elements. e.g. Does Sony provide provide an SDK that includes a library of haptics for AK47, bouncing a basket ball, flat tyre, opening a door, swimming, falling, changing gears in a car.

The less developers have to reinvent the wheel, the more inclined they will be take advantage of Dual Sense. If it's a chore to code then developers won't bother.

Obviously, an inevitable Dual Sense Microsoft controller would accelerate dual sense in 3rd party games.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This isn't true at launch. NBA 2K is doing some pretty cool stuff for a launch title. Fifa, Madden CoD, Fornite, etc. are supporting it as well at launch although I don't know how in depth they're going. I think you'll see the exclusives having the best experience for haptic feedback, but it looks like AAA titles are also jumping on board from the get go. Time will tell if they drop it down the road.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of games supporting it but it is missing some as well: https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-and-which-games-are-going-to-support-dualsense’s-haptic-feedback-and-adaptive-triggers.309976/post-49001176

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I think you'll see the exclusives having the best experience for haptic feedback, but it looks like AAA titles are also jumping on board from the get go. Time will tell if they drop it down the road.
Developers will inevitably speak up about whether Dual Sense is easy to support or whether Sony gave the first couple a titles a big helping hand.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I think this is the sane choice for most people.
Best to do this and not give in to the scalpers.
YES! If people wouldn't buy from scalpers, their business would dry out, and then there would actually be a better shot of legitimate buyers getting things. For months, years, you will have unemployed stalking the stores and reselling for 3x+ ?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Most impressive next-gen games so far: Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman Miles Morales and God of War.

It's clear that the best games will be those that make most clever use of the revolutionary hardware and software capabilities. Simply taking old games, making the worlds bigger, cranking up resolution and switching every visual enhancement to max isn't the only way forward.

Some gamers might even be open to shrinking worlds in favor of faster load times.

I remember when I bought my 2012 MacBook Retina. The speed of the SSD and quality of the screen had a signifigantly more tangible and long lived impact on me than the performance of the computer.

I hope that MS won't overly focu on FSP and open-world games but also invest resources into fun and innovative platform games that are fast to get into.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Crazy week of reviews. There is clearly no bad next gen consoles. All of them are big leaps over the previous gen.

Each console has clear pros and cons that correlate with their price.

These are my observations: :)

Series X

Pros
-4k/60
-1440p/120
-Disc drive
-Quick resume between games
-UHD Bluray playback
-Gamepass with EA Play
-Backward compatible with Xbox One accessories

Cons
-Expensive
-No launch titles that showcase the full potential of the console.

PS5

Pros
-4k/60
-Dual Sense
-Tempest 3D Audio
-nVME SSD slot
Strong launch titles and exclusives
-Disc drive option with UHD Playback
-Nice sweet spot in price and product performance between the Series S and Series X

Cons
-120fps only at 1080
-No native 1440p support
-No quick resume
-PS5 games cannot be moved and temporarily stored on an external hard drive.

Series S

Pros
-1440p/60
-Attractive price
-Gamepass with EA Play
-Compact form factor that's small enough to travel with.

Cons
-Only 364GB of usable storage
-120fps only at 1080p.
-Big question marks about whether it will be able to keep up with the PS5 and Series X at running demanding next gen games. What visual, resolution or frame rate compromises will be made?

Last edited:

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I don't like the scalpers either. I luckily was able to get a pre-order done for launch day on an Xbox X. I was talking to my neighbor the topic was brought up, he immediately offered me 800 if I could wait launch evening to not open it if he wasn't able to get one. I said nah, so he up'd to to 900 and it made me take pause, I contemplated it, and accepted. I didn't set out to resell it for a profit, but he offered and I figure with no real good launch titles that I need to play right now, I can just bide my time and purchase one when supply overtakes demand. I'll have 400 bucks extra in a pocket for being patient. He appears to be well off and have a lot quite a few toys, so for him I guess it's a non issue.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I don't like the scalpers either. I luckily was able to get a pre-order done for launch day on an Xbox X. I was talking to my neighbor the topic was brought up, he immediately offered me 800 if I could wait launch evening to not open it if he wasn't able to get one. I said nah, so he up'd to to 900 and it made me take pause, I contemplated it, and accepted. I didn't set out to resell it for a profit, but he offered and I figure with no real good launch titles that I need to play right now, I can just bide my time and purchase one when supply overtakes demand. I'll have 400 bucks extra in a pocket for being patient. He appears to be well off and have a lot quite a few toys, so for him I guess it's a non issue.
Crazy week of reviews. There is clearly no bad next gen consoles. All of them are big leaps over the previous gen.

Each console has clear pros and cons that correlate with their price.

These are my observations: :)

Series X

Pros
-4k/60
-1440p/120
-Disc drive
-Quick resume between games
-UHD Bluray playback
-Gamepass with EA Play

Cons
-Expensive
-No launch titles that showcase the full potential of the console.

PS5

Pros
-4k/60
-Dual Sense
-Tempest 3D Audio
-nVME SSD slot
Strong launch titles and exclusives
-Disc drive option with UHD Playback
-Nice sweet spot in price and product performance between the Series S and Series X

Cons
-120fps only at 1080
-No native 1440p support
-No quick resume

Series S

Pros
-1440p/60
-Attractive price
-Gamepass with EA Play
-Compact form factor that's small enough to travel with.

Cons
-Only 364GB of usable storage
-120fps only at 1080p.
-Big question marks about whether it will be able to keep up with the PS5 and Series X at running demanding next gen games. What visual, resolution or frame rate compromises will be made?
I'm so excited for a series X, but really think it may be 2021 until I can manage to find one. I'm not paying a third party.

I really like the idea of the Dual Sense, but it hasn't caused me to switch from Xbox. How does Dual Sense factor into your decisions?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I'm so excited for a series X, but really think it may be 2021 until I can manage to find one. I'm not paying a third party.

I really like the idea of the Dual Sense, but it hasn't caused me to switch from Xbox. How does Dual Sense factor into your decisions?
My plan was to buy the Series X and PS5, sit on the fence until reviews and cancel one of them.

I managed to pre order 2 Series X but cancelled one of them two days ago. PS5 pre orders caught me off guard. I didn't get one.

Dual Sense's implementation in Astro world is giving gamers Super Mario-esque levels of joy and feels. Two reviews of Spiderman mention that DS implementation in that game is poor.

Wide 3rd party support isn't required for DS to be a killer feature. 3-5 titles that fully exploit it is enough. I still maintain that MS will release a dual sense controller by the end of next year.

It's the only game changing hardware feature that the Xbox eco system doesn't have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.