Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
I was lucky and was able to get pre-orders for both. scheduled to pick up the xbox series x from my local Best Buy and the PS5 will get shipped at some point. Pretty excited.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
My Xbox One X broke a few weeks ago (doesn’t output a video signal, otherwise works fine), which is annoying because I would’ve kept it until Halo Infinite at which point I would’ve hoped for a special edition Xbox console. I have a series s on preorder from Microsoft, but with Microsoft refusing to repair my Xbox One X (beyond the 1 year warranty but haven’t even had it for 2 years so surely covered by consumer law.. but it’s impossible to speak to anyone at Microsoft!) I‘m going to order from John Lewis for the 2 year warranty. Just can’t decide between the series S or X now! Leaning towards just going for the X as it’s only £200 more, but will also depend on whether I’m actually able to order one when orders open on Tuesday.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My Xbox One X broke a few weeks ago (doesn’t output a video signal, otherwise works fine), which is annoying because I would’ve kept it until Halo Infinite at which point I would’ve hoped for a special edition Xbox console. I have a series s on preorder from Microsoft, but with Microsoft refusing to repair my Xbox One X (beyond the 1 year warranty but haven’t even had it for 2 years so surely covered by consumer law.. but it’s impossible to speak to anyone at Microsoft!) I‘m going to order from John Lewis for the 2 year warranty. Just can’t decide between the series S or X now! Leaning towards just going for the X as it’s only £200 more, but will also depend on whether I’m actually able to order one when orders open on Tuesday.
The Series S is fantastic value and makes sense if you are a light or casual gamer.

If you can afford the £200 premium for 800GB vs 365GB usable space, the Series X is a better buy. Over 2-3 yewe you could buy campaign games on discs for £50-60 and sell them for £25-40 and get some of your money back.

Reactions: Lukkee24

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I myself will now try to snag any of the two during the target/Walmart online ordering on launch day.
To me, I’ll be buying the game pass ultimate and already have converted to app digital the past several years.
So for me it makes no sense in getting the $500 Xbox; however if I’m lucky To do snag it, I’ll be selling it to someone who really wants it

• Sad
Reactions: Deliro

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I may pick up Miles Morales along with Demon's Souls. I never played Spiderman on PS4, but I think Miles Morales will have just enough content for me to get some enjoyment out of web-slinging through a shiny ray-traced NYC. :)

Also, apparently Dirt 5 is really fun, and makes great use of the Dualsense?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Having watched reviews of a couple of games it's clear max resolution, max frame rate and Ray tracing are not possible as the same time.

They are levers that trade off against one another. I would like the following gaming presets when applicable:

1. Max resolution, Ray tracing.
2. Max resolution, 60-120fps, No Ray tracing.
3. Lower resolution, 60-120fps, Ray tracing
4. Lower resolution, 120fps, no Ray tracing.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Walmart is showing stock (of at least the Series S). Stores closest to me claim they would have 3 for sale starting tomorrow.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
right now im torn

massive backlog of retro + current games to play,

also:

Series X - awesome it has quick resume between multiple games, and expandable storage... awesome BC but, no real 'have to have' games for now.

PS5 - really disappointing no quick resume and flaky expandable storage plan. external HD only works for PS4 BC, cant use for PS5 even for cold storage - what the heck?? That's going to be a major PITA, physically massive. I think the SX fridge design looks cool (like a super tall GameCube)

Been a ps4 pro this past gen for home consoles, my One S has been a glorified blu Ray player almost since the moment I got it as a great trade in for my VCR original xbox one.

--

I am tempted to get a limited Xbox live pass and play Master Chief on my One S again, now that its finally fixed years later. That's about it.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I received by Series X today. Quick observations coming from a PS4 Pro.

Speed: Jumping around from game to console setting and other apps is super fast. Almost as quick and snappy as using a smart phone.

120Hz > 4k: I have gamed on my non HDR 4k TV and a 2020 120hz 1440p Dell gaming monitor.

The smoothness of 120Hz is far more noticeable than 4k resolution.

Quietness: The console is inaudible even when playing Gears 5. Night and day difference compared with gaming on my Macbook or any previous console.

It's surreal.

Controller: It seems to have vibration motors near the triggers and closer to the base of your thumbs. Nice to hold and use eventhough I am thinking about dual sense in thr back of my mind.

Storage: My download speed started at just over 100mbps but has dropped down to 2mbps because of high network load.

Cold storage will be essential to avoid having to redownload games.
2C4811C4-4193-4C86-AA5B-DD50C48634F2.jpeg

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I received by Series X today. Quick observations coming from a PS4 Pro.

Speed: Jumping around from game to console setting and other apps is super fast. Almost as quick and snappy as using a smart phone.

120Hz > 4k: I have gamed on my non HDR 4k TV and a 2020 120hz 1440p Dell gaming monitor.

The smoothness of 120Hz is far more noticeable than 4k resolution.

Quietness: The console is inaudible even when playing Gears 5. Night and day difference compared with gaming on my Macbook or any previous console.

It's surreal.

Controller: It seems to have vibration motors near the triggers and closer to the base of your thumbs. Nice to hold and use eventhough I am thinking about dual sense in thr back of my mind.

Storage: My download speed started at just over 100mbps but has dropped down to 2mbps because of high network load.

Cold storage will be essential to avoid having to redownload games. View attachment 1658619
The Xbox One/Series controller triggers have their own “rumble” motors. It is more noticeable in some games than others (even on pc).

Reactions: Macalicious2011

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I was finally able to order a series X from Costco. I don’t have a delivery date, but at least I found one. We’ll see if works out.

The only thing I feel like I’m missing out on is dual sense. I’m not sure if it’s a game changer or overrated, as I haven’t used it and we don’t know how developers will use it.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
sold out everywhere. Walmart sold out within a minute or two when they released some stock at 12pm. ill try again at 3.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Do you guys think it would be easy to sell a ps4 pro for $250 with one controller and box locally?

Backwards compatibility is supposed to be stellar, performance wise too.

if so Im so tempting by hype at this point, and missed a few preorders. this sucker seems hard to get

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
How is the initial supply so low? They've been preparing for so long. I know of 1 person myself who actually has either a PS5 or XBOX X/S. Just one!

Last edited:
Reactions: furbzv1

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
Will try again at 6. But I’m expecting the same results as earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.