Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
1. It's unfortunate that the word "radiation" is used for both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. From a safety perspective the two are markedly different, but in the public mind it's associated with nuclear accidents and weapons and the like.
2. The way folks use their "phones" has changed dramatically since the introduction of the iPhone. When it was created, phones spent most of the time they were actively transmitting right next to a person's head. Nowadays, using a "phone" for an actual phone calls is no longer the majority of time the transmitter is active. I dare say that most of the usage now is with the device in your hands, held a pretty good distance away from you. Worst case, perhaps sitting in your pocket either streaming audio to you or getting background updates (those who wear pants that have no or insufficient pockets are luckier in this context).
3. You can't blame the FCC entirely for this, as the FCC merely requires self-certification by manufacturers for darn near everything. They don't actually test stuff themselves. As in this case, when an allegation is brought to their attention that a certification is in question, they'll investigate. It will be interesting to see what the result of this is. Either it's a nothing-burger, in which case the ambulance-chasers in question will have some 'splainin' to do, or it isn't, in which case Apple will.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Again there's a lot of bad arguments in support of the right conclusion. I'm not terribly worried about this. The FCC limits are conservative to begin with. That said, the short-cut reasons people keep using aren't the reasons we don't need to be worried.

Non-ionized radiation ::dropsmic::
So tired of people freaking out over RF, which is harmless. Reducing RF emission will reduce the performance of the phone since the tower won't be able to receive it as well!

Not this again...

UVA and UVB are non-ionizing and yet cause tissue damage and cancer. This idea that non-ionizing (the radiation itself isn't ionized or not, it's about the impact it has on the atoms it encounters) is automatically safe is just wrong.

RF is not harmless. Low levels of RF are probably harmless. There is a reason this is tested, and it can cause significant damage to critical tissues.

Exactly. I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to my dad that "emf" is on the opposite end of the spectrum of the radiation that can give you cancer - physics dictate that the worst that can happen to you from these frequencies is that you might get a little warm.

EMF doesn't mean what you think it does:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force
I wonder why nobody freaked out about this in the 80s and 90s when analog cellphones were transmitting an entire watt or more ERP, yet nobody got hurt by that. Modern phones put out a tiny fraction of that, and people are freaking out.

I'm so tired of this excessive paranoia.
They did freak out. Not much came of it. Most people who understood radio avoided holding those things close to their heads, but by the time cell phones became common pocket devices the power levels had come down.

Last edited:

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Man I hate ambulance chasers. This world would be a much better place without them.

In this case, the FCC is investigating the claims, and if they don't pan out, I suspect these particular ambulance chasers are going to have Apple's lawyers all over them.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If this was truly harmful, there would be a sever uptick in brain cancer. As of yet, there is no anomaly which cannot be explained by people living longer.

ivan86

Contributor
Feb 24, 2016
Moscow / Berlin
The only courage by Apple part of removing the 3,5mm jack was a push for a bright wireless feature and calling it healthy meanwhile with Apple Watch and AirPods pushed so hard to make everyone healthy.

When 5G drops unfortunately things will get much much worse for everybody exposed to it and there is no way of “not using it”.

Ohh, wait, but we all need 1 Gigabit speeds on our cellphones to be able to watch a 4K movie (on a 720P display)...

I wish this issue gets proper attention in the media like it truly deserves.

Reactions: s54

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
If true, they should be suing the FCC, since they blessed the devices for consumer use. You can't blame Apple or Samsung for complying with FCC radio power requirements. You need to change the standard that the FCC uses...this is baseless litigation.

Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
Complying with FCC standard helps Apple and Samsung as a defense, but does not absolve it (the burden of proof is just higher for the Plaintiffs, but still possible).

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
The only courage by Apple part of removing the 3,5mm jack was a push for a bright wireless feature and calling it healthy meanwhile with Apple Watch and AirPods pushed so hard to make everyone healthy.

When 5G drops unfortunately things will get much much worse for everybody exposed to it and there is no way of “not using it”.

Ohh, wait, but we all need 1 Gigabit speeds on our cellphones to be able to watch a 4K movie (on a 720P display)...

I wish this issue gets proper attention in the media like it truly deserves.

Nobody cares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.