Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
This is an extremely niche use case and tbh...pretty pointless to me. The whole reason people use cases is for protection and this offers none. The phone looks better naked so I'd personally just go caseless if I were forgoing protection.
Yeah, its definitely not for me either. I would agree that its pretty niche. Probably won't be a strong seller. Thought it was weird that Nomad launched it given how their other cases focus on protection.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
This is an extremely niche use case and tbh...pretty pointless to me. The whole reason people use cases is for protection and this offers none. The phone looks better naked so I'd personally just go caseless if I were forgoing protection.
I would love to go caseless but the glass back is way too slick. This offers enough grip on the back where I won’t drop the phone or slide out of my pocket. Also provides some camera protection if you drop it. Agree it’s probably not going to be a top seller though. I got mine today and I like it so far. I just wish it was a little thinner/lighter (27 grams for 15 pro)

Reactions: GeneticBloom

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
I would love to go caseless but the glass back is way too slick. This offers enough grip on the back where I won’t drop the phone or slide out of my pocket. Also provides some camera protection if you drop it. Agree it’s probably not going to be a top seller though. I got mine today and I like it so far. I just wish it was a little thinner/lighter (27 grams for 15 pro)
I'm guessing the drop protection for the camera is only going to work if the phone doesn't bounce. I suspect the the back would fly off after the first hit. I guess its better than nothing though. Wonder why they haven't released an English tan version? I think English tan is a nicer color personally.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I'm guessing the drop protection for the camera is only going to work if the phone doesn't bounce. I suspect the the back would fly off after the first hit. I guess its better than nothing though. Wonder why they haven't released an English tan version? I think English tan is a nicer color personally.
Yeah I don’t plan on testing out the drop protection but it’s probably not great. It does stick to the phone surprisingly well though so maybe a short drop would be ok. I was disappointed in the color options so just went black.

Reactions: DR3MCLAREN

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
For those who have actually tried some leather cases for 15 series, please post your reviews and comments here.

Because Apple dropped leather cases, I've been through a whole bunch of third-party leather cases. Here are my assessments of the various brands. Please add yours.
<snip>
Bullstrap - of the many, many cases I've tried, those from Bullstrap seem the best, overall. Leather is nice quality. Cases are thick (3mm), which is both good and bad, depending on your viewpoint. Some units (I tried about 10) are grippy out of the box, others are slippery, so there is unit variation here. I've read they all get grippy after some usage. Bullstrap's buttons can vary from case to case. On some of my units, the power button didn't stick out far enough (almost flush with case), while on others it did. Open bottom: Something people like to worry about, but I actually grew to like this after previously using only closed bottom cases. Now I don't want to go back to a closed bottom case. These are the most expensive of the cases tried. Still, I'm keeping the Bullstrap ones. If you're looking for high quality leather, you're talking a difference of $20 or $30 among the cases. Get what you like. Forget the dough. If you're buying Apple, you're used to spending too much anyway.

I started with a Mujjo for my iP15p. I'd had one on my Xr since launch and had been quite happy with it, so it seemed like a no brainer. The current ones are garbage. One review on Amazon sums it up best: it feels like you are holding a deck of cards. It doesn't feel like leather. It's too "squared" off. I came to hate... and I do mean HATE... the aluminum ring around the camera. It's nicked all to heck. I also disliked having the closed bottom. The one on my Xr was open. The MagSafe strength is also horribly weak. I've since gotten a Bullstrap and this is an upgrade is just about every metric. One of my early impressions was that it was a bit slippery, but I expected that would change as it wore in, and it has. No concerns there at all. I also felt the buttons were too flush to the case. I still feel that way, but I've gotten more used to it. In fact, I haven't really given it any thought in some time now.

alamperti

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Italy
I started with a Mujjo for my iP15p. I'd had one on my Xr since launch and had been quite happy with it, so it seemed like a no brainer. The current ones are garbage. One review on Amazon sums it up best: it feels like you are holding a deck of cards. It doesn't feel like leather. It's too "squared" off. I came to hate... and I do mean HATE... the aluminum ring around the camera. It's nicked all to heck. I also disliked having the closed bottom. The one on my Xr was open. The MagSafe strength is also horribly weak. I've since gotten a Bullstrap and this is an upgrade is just about every metric. One of my early impressions was that it was a bit slippery, but I expected that would change as it wore in, and it has. No concerns there at all. I also felt the buttons were too flush to the case. I still feel that way, but I've gotten more used to it. In fact, I haven't really given it any thought in some time now.

I agree, having purchased it for the XR and 12 Pro, an overrated product.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I got mine last week and I like it. It protects the back and camera lenses for when I put the phone down or slide it on the table. The leather feels and smells nice too.

I wish it was thinner, but it feels better in the hand than using a full case. It's a good compromise of protection while still feeling pretty good in the hand. Obviously it's not going to protect much if it's dropped on something hard, so when going out or traveling I'll switch to my FW.

I did remove it and to put it back on I had to wipe the suction pads to get it to stick again. Once they dried it went back on and sticks just as well as the first time I put it on.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I got mine last week and I like it. It protects the back and camera lenses for when I put the phone down or slide it on the table. The leather feels and smells nice too.

I wish it was thinner, but it feels better in the hand than using a full case. It's a good compromise of protection while still feeling pretty good in the hand. Obviously it's not going to protect much if it's dropped on something hard, so when going out or traveling I'll switch to my FW.

I did remove it and to put it back on I had to wipe the suction pads to get it to stick again. Once they dried it went back on and sticks just as well as the first time I put it on.
Mine just came in! Love it
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0164.jpeg

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
One of my early impressions was that it was a bit slippery, but I expected that would change as it wore in, and it has. No concerns there at all. I also felt the buttons were too flush to the case. I still feel that way, but I've gotten more used to it.

Good to hear. I also received a Ryan London case that was a little slippery out of the box. I gave it some time, and it, too, seems to be grippier now (varies with hand moisture, I'm sure). Overall, I'm preferring the Ryan London to Bullstrap now because Ryan London is 2mm vs 3mm in thickness, and the difference is nice. It's still quality leather. Both cases are nice. Ryan London's buttons are a tad better, too: not so flush (the power button) as Bullstrap's. I should note that not all of Bullstrap's cases have buttons that are flush, so there's sample variation.

Reactions: alamperti

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Looks nice on the natural titanium.
My phone is black so I got the black, it's boring looking. Keeps it looking very dark, but I wish I got the brown one too.

I'm done with black phones. I got a black 15 Plus, and while it's okay, it'll be my last black phone. They're too boring.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
One brand I don't hear much discussion about is Satchel & Page. I've tried all the so-called finest brands now, and I ordered a Satchel & Page just to see how it compares. Looks lovely from the website. Only comes in one color, which is fine.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I'm done with black phones. I got a black 15 Plus, and while it's okay, it'll be my last black phone. They're too boring.
lol I agree. I liked space black on iPhone 14 Pros over the other colors, but I didn’t upgrade, I kept my Sierra blue 13 Pro. So I got black for the 15 Pro and it’s bland. I’ll definitely get something else when I upgrade.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Looks nice on the natural titanium.
My phone is black so I got the black, it's boring looking. Keeps it looking very dark, but I wish I got the brown one too.

I have blue titanium and almost got the blue Bullstrap case but switched to the lighter brown one after seeing a pic of the combo somewhere. I’m glad I did.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Not really into leather, but I’m really thinking about trying this one out…

Seems to tick all my boxes apart from being hard plastic, but the MagSafe is discrete unlike the plastic ones I’ve seen.

lol I agree. I

You agree that the colour of a smart phone makes it boring when the UI is exactly the same for ALL colours.

Stop being petty/ridiculous & fooled by a known troll.

Last edited:

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
this thread is a lot to go through,

is there a THIN leather case that's almost identical to the apple leather cases? all the ones I've seen online are thick. I just want the slimmest thinnest leather case resembling apple's leather cases for my 15 pro max - do those exist or are all the alternatives thiccc?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020

is there a THIN leather case that's almost identical to the apple leather cases? all the ones I've seen online are thick. I just want the slimmest thinnest leather case resembling apple's leather cases for my 15 pro max - do those exist or are all the alternatives thiccc?

Lucky Coin from Amazon
c333a62a1e75e4f6856855f42a4e5a37.jpg

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
Not really into leather, but I’m really thinking about trying this one out…

Seems to tick all my boxes apart from being hard plastic, but the MagSafe is discrete unlike the plastic ones I’ve seen.

You agree that the colour of a smart phone makes it boring when the UI is exactly the same for ALL colours.

Stop being pretty/ridiculous & fooled by a known troll.
Relax a bit. I have the black and I think it's a boring look. Doesn't mean I'm saying others have to think the same way or that I don't like the phone or it's UI.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
T
Lucky Coin from Amazon
c333a62a1e75e4f6856855f42a4e5a37.jpg
I tried this one but didn't like the feel.

I think there really isn't an ultra light and ultra slim leather case like the ones Apple used to make. I wonder if Apple has a patent on the weight and thickness. How hard can it be to make a clone of it?

For now I'll continue to use my phone case-less.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
T

I think there really isn't an ultra light and ultra slim leather case like the ones Apple used to make. I wonder if Apple has a patent on the weight and thickness. How hard can it be to make a clone of it?

That is as light and slim as you're going to get from leather. The Apple leather cases were junk anyway since the iPhone 11. The feel initially cannot be judged as any leather will wear and change a lot from when it was new coated in wax etc.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas

Have you considered buying a fake Apple Leather Case on Aliexpress? I believe they still make the Apple knockoffs even for the 15 series.

JerryIII

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
T

I found that the Lucky Coin case hugely benefits from some leather conditioner. You may want to get another one and give it a try. Mine feels great now.

Reactions: alamperti and RRC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.