Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Everyone uses imessage here that has it. Australia. Only time i ever used WhatsApp was when my daughter was in Bali on school excursion.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Is this like when long distance land lines were owned by AT&T, MCI, Sprint etc and we had to use access codes - those extra long numbers to place a call?

I don’t like that Google and Facebook know our contacts, call, email, text history and a whole lot more-
Samsung have 4 preinstalled Facebook app packages in their phones. I checked the network log and sometimes Samsung Pay send a connection to graph.facebook.com, but not sure if it does anymore after I disabled all the facebook packages. edit: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-pay-selling-data-opt-out/

Today I received an unsolicited notification for a trending Reddit New Year thread from Samsung Internet (the default browser app on Samsung devices). I guess it's harmless, but I never use Reddit. In the notifications settings of that app I can turn off certain promotions and marketing options. This prompted me to re-read Samsung's EULA and disable a few more of their apps, along with Bixby.

I think any large corporation falls into the privacy invasion scheme eventually, Google and Facebook are just the ones being scrutinized right now. I guess you can say in the grand scheme Samsung isn't as bad right now, but I think people are overlooking them.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaLynn

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
My first step with new Samsung is to disable apps, Chrome Facebook and Bixby, be sure to show system apps. I’ve tried to filter any fb traffic using AdGuard log and filters.

On Android “Toast Source” can help identify app notifications and where they came from.

iOS on new iPhone 11 series is doing way too much broadcasting

Reactions: mi7chy and jamezr

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
My first step with new Samsung is to disable apps, Chrome Facebook and Bixby, be sure to show system apps. I’ve tried to filter any fb traffic using AdGuard log and filters.

On Android “Toast Source” can help identify app notifications and where they came from.

iOS on new iPhone 11 series is doing way too much broadcasting

Sorry, I got fed up yesterday and initiated a Amazon return for my Samsung phone. Meaning I no longer have any Android devices. I successfully stopped using GMaps and GVoice too.

I’m pretty good with tweaking Android, using command lines to disable system apps that can’t be disabled by default and creating my own Adguard rules, so that wasn’t the reason. Just got tired of dealing with it. It’s a new year, I want to make a big change instead of going back and forth. I’m thinking about it and I think I’ll actually save money on the long term by sticking with Apple.

edit: I lied. Got myself a used pixel, but for the purpose of using it without google services.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaLynn

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
Now, two month later after I left the Apple ecosystem completely (MacBook, Thunderboldt-Display 27", iPhone 11, Watch 4, AirPods, iPad Mini 4), I still have no regrets on switching to Android. I moved to S10e, Galaxy Buds, Galaxy Watch and Dex Station with an external 32" WQHD screen.

Everything still works fast, withouts lags. Lowlight photos are really great, 40K60FPS videos are almost as awesome as on iPhone 11 Pro, with 128GB basic space and additional 512GB on microSD for 50 bucks there're even no worries for not enough space on vacation trips without any possibility to sync to cloud.

Galaxy Buds are much better than my old AirPods (can't tell anything versus AirPods Pro), I love the Galaxy Watch which looks really like a watch, supports cellular, paying etc. and runs for three or four days without charging when always on display is active - sorry, my Apple Watch wouldn't do this. On my last business trips I just had to take one USB-C cable with me. My Buds and Watch could be charged with reverse QI charging from my S10 - just put it on the back of the phone and it charges - never understand why Apple didn't integrated this - it's really awesome.

I love the possibility to install third party apps that are not present in the Google App store; I love to use third party apps for YouTube, Insta etc. to get rid of any ads, I love the system wide ad-blocker to get rid of them in free apps, websites... I love to be able to record my phone calls etc. Small things that I missed on iOS.

With DEX and the DexPad I just throw my phone in it and have a full Desktop, it's great to see how well this works. Just put it in the Dex Pad and it's connected to my 32" Display im WQHD, the same resolution I used before on my Mac. I can just work with my old Apple keyboard and mouse and it's really enough for surfing, videos on youtube, netflix etc. - Office works very well, Terminal for SSH. I'm really impressed and do not see any reason for switching back anymore.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Now, two month later after I left the Apple ecosystem completely (MacBook, Thunderboldt-Display 27", iPhone 11, Watch 4, AirPods, iPad Mini 4), I still have no regrets on switching to Android. I moved to S10e, Galaxy Buds, Galaxy Watch and Dex Station with an external 32" WQHD screen.

Everything still works fast, withouts lags. Lowlight photos are really great, 40K60FPS videos are almost as awesome as on iPhone 11 Pro, with 128GB basic space and additional 512GB on microSD for 50 bucks there're even no worries for not enough space on vacation trips without any possibility to sync to cloud.

Galaxy Buds are much better than my old AirPods (can't tell anything versus AirPods Pro), I love the Galaxy Watch which looks really like a watch, supports cellular, paying etc. and runs for three or four days without charging when always on display is active - sorry, my Apple Watch wouldn't do this. On my last business trips I just had to take one USB-C cable with me. My Buds and Watch could be charged with reverse QI charging from my S10 - just put it on the back of the phone and it charges - never understand why Apple didn't integrated this - it's really awesome.

I love the possibility to install third party apps that are not present in the Google App store; I love to use third party apps for YouTube, Insta etc. to get rid of any ads, I love the system wide ad-blocker to get rid of them in free apps, websites... I love to be able to record my phone calls etc. Small things that I missed on iOS.

With DEX and the DexPad I just throw my phone in it and have a full Desktop, it's great to see how well this works. Just put it in the Dex Pad and it's connected to my 32" Display im WQHD, the same resolution I used before on my Mac. I can just work with my old Apple keyboard and mouse and it's really enough for surfing, videos on youtube, netflix etc. - Office works very well, Terminal for SSH. I'm really impressed and do not see any reason for switching back anymore.
Honestly both the Apple Watch and galaxy watch don’t like like real watches. I can spot a galaxy watch a mile away with the size.

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020

I picked up an S10e with the buds a while back and I absolutely love the phone considering I paid around $200 for the phone with the buds. For me it's all about price, no way will I pay $1000 for an iPhone 11 when I could get an S10e for $200. The only phone that I have picked up that has a better value was the iPhone 8 that I got on boxing day for negative $200 (they gave me $450 prepaid visa and $150 bill credit- $400 for the phone). I have no issue supporting Android and Apple, I use the S10e and the iP8 is my backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.