Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
bragging rights on paper! Lol as you’ve see here

Then feel free to dispute these 2 machines:

MacBook Pro TB (mid 2018)
i5 8259U
512 SSD
16GB RAM
Price : $2200

Lenovo X1 Yoga 4th Gen
i7 8665U
1TB SSD
16GB RAM
4K UDH Dolby Vision screen
Price: $1900

Configure the MBP with 1TB and it's $2400 = $500 more. Bang for the buck wise the MacBook Pro just can't compete..

In my opinion the MBP will probably have the faster SSD and a better GPU. The MBP also has a better trackpad but the X1 trackpad and nipple are no slouch. CUP's are probably about even as is RAM. Build quality maybe a slight edge to the X1 due to the MBP KB failures. The X1 wins easy on screen, ports, KB and price.

I do prefer macOS over Win10 but I really have no Win10 complaints. I loose continuity and handoff but I use Pushbullet Pro to mimic some of those functions...

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
As are you :p Apple needs to up it's game and it knows it, as the current FarceBook simply doesn't cut it.
MBP was the best solution I'd be on one simple as that...

My systems pay for themselves on a daily basis, Apple want's to be back in the rotation it needs to get it's act together for the professional user, simple as that...

Q-6

Whatever you think. Just remember your opinion is as subjective as anybody else’s

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Tbh this is a thread about a specific laptop not about macbook vs Windows laptop even though I agree a windows laptop smokes a macbook pro but I reckon the mod was just implying that where going off topic

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tbh this is a thread about a specific laptop not about macbook vs Windows laptop
Agreed and putting on my moderator hat, let me just say that if the bickering and discussions on how a Mac is better/worse, the thread will be closed and the posts removed. I'd rather not take such a heavy hand, so please enough with the off topic chatter and get back on to the topic of discussing the Thinkpad

Reactions: Cape Dave

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
So after all these delays and waiting, they decided to add a cpu option of Comet Lake. What do existing X1C7 users do? I don't know if they will add such option for P53. If so my computer is outdated before it has arrived due to lie in availability and delays.
[doublepost=1566985983][/doublepost]
It's a mac forum so there are always going to be those who defend Apple to no end even in the 'Alternative' section..

Bang for the buck is not even close. The X1 wins hands down, no questions asked. I also believe the X1 Yoga I have on the way will demolish the higher priced, and lower spec'd TB MBP that I had, and sold a few days ago. I don't really think those are debatable.

Next is the macOS -v- Win10 debate. macOS wins in some areas and win10 wins in others. Either way I got my X1 Yoga loaded for about $300 less than a lessor configured TB MBP.

Before I even get the Yoga I'll make a few predictions:

X1 Yoga will easily win keyboard, screen, SSD size, CPU and price
A draw will be build quality and sound
The MBP will probably win SSD speed and trackpad. I aslo assume since I have the 4K screen the MBP will win on battery life. I also would give a slight edge to macOS just because I prefer it over win10. I don't think macOS is better, I just slightly prefer it..

The only things that are good on the current mbp are: dead silent and long battery life. Got mine last weekend but not impressed. Running linux under parallels is too slow for my needs. Thanks Apple for making it difficult to install Linux natively and killing nvidia gpu option. Unlike the past, level of happiness owning a new mbp is zero this time. Don’t know the reason. Perhaps Windows PC got more news features these days so mbp looks outdated and not innovated.

Last edited:
Reactions: raqball and Queen6

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
So after all these delays and waiting, they decided to add a cpu option of Comet Lake. What do existing X1C7 users do? I don't know if they will add such option for P53. If so my computer is outdated before it has arrived due to lie in availability and delays.
Outdated? Nah. Comet Lake is such a minor update I am not sure I'd stress over it..

I'll post up my thoughts on the X1 Yoga later today..

Reactions: Never mind

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
For what it's worth, I bought the X1C7 4k. My wife's macbook pro was really showing it's age and was time for an upgrade. I gave her my 2018 15" macbook pro w/ touchbar, ordered the X1C7 with 4.3G i7, 16GB, 1TB, 4K.

My thoughts...
1) keyboard is damn near perfect. It truly made me hate the apple keyboard.
2) the touchpad is garbage, it truly made me love the apple trackpad.
3) The 14" 4K HDR screen is beautiful with accurate color, I do miss that extra inch though
4) i **HATE** windows. Hate hate hate hate windows. I'm running Arch linux.
5) the thinkpad speakers are garbage. if you need audio quality, stick to apple.
6) I miss imessage. I think that's the only think I really miss about macos. Signal is working well as a replacement.
7) apple's power management is great. i don't think they get enough credit for how much work they put into it. Lenovo does well under windows, but their software is invasive. Linux isn't as good, but it's getting better by the month. (TLP and intel-undervolt help a lot)

Anyway - When looking at hardware only - the X1C7 is a much better value. When adding in the refinement of the OS and the beautiful apple hardware, it's a bit tougher of a choice. But again, that $500+ price difference is pretty big. And Lenovo offers WWAN and touch screen, both of which apple refuses to offer. Not to mention that Lenovo offers replacement parts, teardown documents, and user serviceable battery, WWAN, and NVME. (Yes, CPU, RAM, and WiFi are soldered on)

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2018
Could you guys recommend an MBP alternative? I haven't considered buying another Windows Laptop since I migrated to MacOS in 2012, but the new hardware suck and I lost hope with Catalina and the lack of NVIDIA support. It's sad, but

I've been eyeballing thinkpad carbon laptops particularly carbon 6/7gen and yoga X1 because they are light and have TB3 for eGPU. My concerns:

1) Can I get +10H battery life with a 4K screen?
2) If not, how does FHD screen compare to a 13" retina screen? (I've been using it in 1650x1050 mode)
3) How bad is the touchpad? (I might be alone with this but I consider the pre force touch MBP has the best touch pad ever)
4) How gimmicky is the touch screen on Yoga?
5) Any experience with eGPUs in these machines?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Could you guys recommend an MBP alternative? I haven't considered buying another Windows Laptop since I migrated to MacOS in 2012, but the new hardware suck and I lost hope with Catalina and the lack of NVIDIA support. It's sad, but

I've been eyeballing thinkpad carbon laptops particularly carbon 6/7gen and yoga X1 because they are light and have TB3 for eGPU. My concerns:

1) Can I get +10H battery life with a 4K screen?
2) If not, how does FHD screen compare to a 13" retina screen? (I've been using it in 1650x1050 mode)
3) How bad is the touchpad? (I might be alone with this but I consider the pre force touch MBP has the best touch pad ever)
4) How gimmicky is the touch screen on Yoga?
5) Any experience with eGPUs in these machines?

I am also looking at Windows laptops to get once I move on from my 2015 MBP. I would say check out the Dell XPS line, the Thinkpad X1 Extreme, or the new Surface Laptop 3.

Reactions: 0920872

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2018
I am also looking at Windows laptops to get once I move on from my 2015 MBP. I would say check out the Dell XPS line, the Thinkpad X1 Extreme, or the new Surface Laptop 3.
Thanks. MSI Prestige 14" looks promising. 16GB ram, 500GB SSD, 10th gen i7 processors with 6 cores, NVIDIA GTX 1650 GPU with 900 cuda cores. $1700 (probably half the price of the new 16" MBP...).

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks. MSI Prestige 14" looks promising. 16GB ram, 500GB SSD, 10th gen i7 processors with 6 cores, NVIDIA GTX 1650 GPU with 900 cuda cores. $1700 (probably half the price of the new 16" MBP...).
There is also new Razer Blade Stealth with same specs. But a fair warning - I have Blade 15 and I travel with X1 Carbon in the bag also for the times when I need to type or work on battery ;)

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
How many hours do you get on the Thinkpad (and which screen)?
I never run out, easily 10 hours of mundane tasks, without even trying too hard. FHD screen.

IMG_1025.jpg

Best hotel in the area. Not kidding.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Lol. I was more confused about the Mojave background. Isn't FHD a little too low-res after a retina MBP?
That's a forum section for people with MacOS withdrawal syndrome, got to get your fix some way. For me FHD is fine, 4k on Windows laptops is always glossy, still scaling issues and eats battery. I like matte FHD screens.

Reactions: raqball

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Just got word that job #2 will be upgrading my desktop to a Lenovo X1 Yoga in about five months. Not sure what gen it is (they did not mention the processor). I could have picked a Carbon, but stylus support will be a big help to me.

Am hoping my iMac holds out that long so I know whether or not I'll make the jump at home (Application incompatability is pushing me toward Windows). I will take advantage of all the W10 training they offer (and Word & Excel) so I can be better prepared when I try a PC again.

Anyway, should be interesting.

And most likely much better than the software we use to deliver work to our staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.