Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and their trackpads sucked in terms of features (with Windows drivers) and for lack of glass surfaces.
PC trackpads have come a long way imo, I'm pretty happy with my Razer's and my Thinkpad was good. I will admit that I abhor trackpads and when I travel I take a mouse, but in those situations where that's not possible (like on a plain), the trackpads did their jobs.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
One thing about these Lenovos though that I'm concerned about is the trackpad. Looks pretty small (of course the newer 15 inch MBPs have absolutely ridiculously sized ones in comparison) and also has buttons (ewww).

Those buttons are for trackpoint (that red dot in the keyboard). You can use trackpad without those buttons, as a matter of fact, I do. But under Linux those trackpads are really basic. You can customize gestures using some apps, but don't expect trackpad to be anywhere near Win10 experience, and MacOS trackpad is even better than win10.

But I can live with worse trackpad. As I already stated, whatever you choose as your OS, there will be compromises.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Yeah sounds like my concerns are justified alright. Trackpad needs to match an older MBP's like my Late 2011's in feel and multi-touch capabilities (not gestures) to consider the jump. With Linux drivers. ;)

This Lenovo laptop always comes up as a close competitor and ability to put in two SSDs sounds great.

What's the state of Linux on laptops these days? Do wake and sleep work reliably?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
You won’t find a Linux/Windows laptop witn a MacBook like trackpad.

if you buy the right laptop, Linux works great. You can buy dell laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled for years now. Lenovo will sell Thinkpads with Linux soon, too.
and there are some brands like system76 or tuxedo in Germany which are specialized in Linux laptops

Last edited:

Rigtee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
Was waiting for your review and I’m definitely not disappointed, thanks!

I also think the Touchbar to be such a joke on the MBPs since 2016, I rarely use it and even switched once to the old function keys layout. It can be useful for some with Safari to have a tab overview or for some specific app (FCP, Photoshop...). Even with BetterTouchTool, I found it disruptive and much less useful than physical buttons.

As for the keyboard, it’s good that Apple finally addressed the butterfly issue. I still have to try the one of the X1E but I really liked the MBP 16 keys when I tried it in the Apple Store.

In the end, I still think the MBP was designed to be portable, even if it has a large footprint: a battery life under 5h is very common amongst Windows laptop and carrying a charger with you all the time is so cumbersome.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
If you use Safari and other Apple applications with light load I agree. But with my normal work environment up and running, IDEs, docker etc, the MBP dies in 3 hours (if I’m lucky) just like any other machine with otherwise good battery.

Reactions: Rigtee

Rigtee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
If you use Safari and other Apple applications with light load I agree. But with my normal work environment up and running, IDEs, docker etc, the MBP dies in 3 hours (if I’m lucky) just like any other machine with otherwise good battery.

Yeah, I agree for intensive CPU/GPU work, but a laptop, even a pro one, is also useful as a general browsing or entertainment tool so more battery life for normal use is always a good thing.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Yeah, I agree for intensive CPU/GPU work, but a laptop, even a pro one, is also useful as a general browsing or entertainment tool so more battery life for normal use is always a good thing.

That's true of course! But Windows laptops can have great battery life, too. The X1E is limited by it's small battery though.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
In the end, I still think the MBP was designed to be portable, even if it has a large footprint: a battery life under 5h is very common amongst Windows laptop and carrying a charger with you all the time is so cumbersome.

Most of the time I do work, I tend to do it being docked. So battery life doesn't impact my workflow.
For casual stuff, even X1E's battery is more than enough for me. That's why I said it's a subjective opinion when i wrote that comparison.

But if one really needs great battery life, my advice would be to skip X1E. X1E has many strengths, but battery life isn't one of those. Actually, when I compare X1E to similar laptops (like xps, mbp, etc.), X1E probably has the worst battery life of all.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
If I'd need great battery life I would get something like the XPS 13 or similar machines. HP has some strong competitors in their lineup of ultrabooks too I think?
I only use a laptop for work because I work from home, in the office and sometimes somewhere else. I'm to stupid to do that with multiple desktop PCs. I always forget to upload/save something etc. lol

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Windows trackpads are still nowhere near as good as Apple trackpads... it's much better than a few years ago, thanks to Microsoft precision drivers and glass trackpads, but Apple trackpads are still in a league of it's own.

My MacBooks always look used after a while. Keycaps loose it's coating, you can find scratches and battle scars in the aluminum body... stuff like that. Pretty sure an higher end Thinkpad for example will be just as sturdy. And, other than a MacBook, you can repair pretty much everything.
The trackpad are way better on windows laptop's then MacBook.

Sorry mate

• Haha
Reactions: grmlin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The trackpad are way better on windows laptop's then MacBook.
That opinion is seemingly counter to the majority of consumers, reviewers and tech enthusiasts.

Some PC makers are catching up to the Mac's trackpad to be sure, but Macs still hold the crown

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
That opinion is seemingly counter to the majority of consumers, reviewers and tech enthusiasts.

Some PC makers are catching up to the Mac's trackpad to be sure, but Macs still hold the crown
Are there any non Apple trackpads that use the fake click of the MacBook? Because that's absolutely genius and I will miss it a lot using a Thinkpad. Until this exists outside Apple there simply is no competition.
At least scrolling is somewhat smooth these days.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is it amd based?

Nope
The ThinkPad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) is packed with Intel's 10th Gen H-series processors with vPro. You can snag up to a Core i9 processor, along with optional NVIDIA GeForce 1650 Ti graphics. Both power a 15.6-inch display that can hit up to 600 nits of brightness with screen types ranging from a 1080p IPS option to a 4K OLED panel.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I really love my lenovo x1e. But if they don't move to 16:10 screens in next 2-3 years, I'm really gonna have a hard time purchasing a new laptop. Dell's new XPS lineup looks great, but lousy QC, and only usb-c drives me away. Apple is in transitioning period, and I have no intentions on being a beta tester for them. I guess a lot can change in 2 years or so...

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
I really love my lenovo x1e. But if they don't move to 16:10 screens in next 2-3 years, I'm really gonna have a hard time purchasing a new laptop. Dell's new XPS lineup looks great, but lousy QC, and only usb-c drives me away. Apple is in transitioning period, and I have no intentions on being a beta tester for them. I guess a lot can change in 2 years or so...
Yea i like my xe1 too but want an amd based one and 16 10 ratio,. Also a better gpu

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Yea i like my xe1 too but want an amd based one and 16 10 ratio,. Also a better gpu

Lenovo will stick with mid-tier GPU for sure. Something like 2060/70 won't ever happen. X1E is too thin and light for that kind of GPU.

I'm fine with GPU, but I do agree with AMD part. Maybe next year, who knows...

Reactions: dellaster

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Lenovo will stick with mid-tier GPU for sure. Something like 2060/70 won't ever happen. X1E is too thin and light for that kind of GPU.

I'm fine with GPU, but I do agree with AMD part. Maybe next year, who knows...
Check out the razer blade and the mag 15, only slightly thicker then our xe and also check out that 14 inch Asus amd one with a 2060 inside I believe.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Check out the razer blade and the mag 15, only slightly thicker then our xe and also check out that 14 inch Asus amd one with a 2060 inside I believe.

I've had XMG Mag-15. You can't really compare it to X1E. It's really bulkier, charger is twice the size of X1E charger.
And it's loud and hot when compared to X1E. Great laptop, and I do mean really great. With excellent customer support. But I've returned it for reasons listed above and bought X1E again.

I can't comment on Blade since I've never used or owned one.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Quick question. Need a laptop for someone joining my research group that will also be used in the WFH setup. Cuda is a must, so MBP won't work. OS will be Arch Linux. While I'm familiar with the X1 Extreme Gen 2, the Gen 3 models are coming out in the next few weeks according to our supplier.

Any reason to go for a Gen 3 instead of a heavily discounted but new Gen 2 when specs are similar (6c/12t, 32GB, 1TB SSD, GTX1650)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.