Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, anybody tested the ability of the laptop to play HDR contents on an external 4K HDR TV? There have been some complaints about potential false advertisment about the C930's HDR capability.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi, anybody tested the ability of the laptop to play HDR contents on an external 4K HDR TV? There have been some complaints about potential false advertisment about the C930's HDR capability.

Where did you see false advertisement on the C930's HDR capability? Looking at the product page and product specs, I don't see where it claims to support HDR.

C930 = 13.9” UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Glossy Multi-touch with Dolby Vision™

Versus

X1E = 15.6” 4K UHD HDR (3840 x 2160) IPS multi-touch, anti-reflective / anti-smudge, 400 nits, 100% Adobe 8+2 color depth with Dolby Vision™

or

X1 Yoga = 14" HDR WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-reflective anti-smudge multi-touch with Dolby Vision, 500 nits

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Has anyone tried hackintoshing the laptop?
I went as far as creating an installer stick with Clover, but it doesn't get anywhere, immediate kernel panic. The C930 BIOS is very simplistic. Generally, to Hack a computer you need to change quite some settings, this BIOS has maybe 20 settings total. Someone offered to help if I uploaded all files used, but right now... gasp... I don't mind Windows SO much.

*gets struck by Jobs-shaped lightning, but survives because Jony Ive thinned the lightning on the fly*

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Where did you see false advertisement on the C930's HDR capability? Looking at the product page and product specs, I don't see where it claims to support HDR.

C930 = 13.9” UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Glossy Multi-touch with Dolby Vision™

Versus

X1E = 15.6” 4K UHD HDR (3840 x 2160) IPS multi-touch, anti-reflective / anti-smudge, 400 nits, 100% Adobe 8+2 color depth with Dolby Vision™

or

X1 Yoga = 14" HDR WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-reflective anti-smudge multi-touch with Dolby Vision, 500 nits

Some nits[/QUOTE]

Please refer to: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ot-detected-as-HDR-in-Windows-10/td-p/4252572

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Some nits

Please refer to: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ot-detected-as-HDR-in-Windows-10/td-p/4252572[/QUOTE]

Right from the "horses" (Lenovo) mouth in that same thread...

Hi! Having the Dolby doesn't mean it's on HDR. It should specify on the product specs. You can refer to the product specs of your Yoga C930 here: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Tablets_and_Convertibles/Yoga_Book_C930. It did not specify HDR on the specs. We have a sample device(Thinkpad X1 Yoga) here with HDR and it is specify on the specs that it has one: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_3rd_Gen. Hope this helps.

Regards

In other words, if it doesn't specifically say in the products specs HDR, it isn't. The Yoga C930 does not say HDR and will not support HDR. The X1 Yoga, however does have a display with HDR option.

Again, I don't think there is any "false advertisement" on the part of Lenovo. They don't claim the Yoga C930 supports HDR.

Edit: Perhaps the confusion is over Dolby Vision vs the HDR10 standard and what you need to find out is (a) if the Yoga C930 can output to your TV using Dolby Vision and (b) if your TV supports Dolby Vision since it is a proprietary standard. One thing that Lenovo and other do that is misleading is claim HDR and rather than be 10bit, it is instead emulating 10bit using 8+2 dithering.

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
So... Once I dug through the registry a bit... installed AutoHotKey to remap keys how I want them... this laptop has two faults. 1) Non-Apple trackpad. (I hear that happens often with non-Apple computers. ;) ) 2) No media keys (I have to remap the useless ones that it does have, I'm just too lazy). And...that's it.

I'm tired of waiting for NVidia to get permission from Apple to release drivers for Mojito. So I might soon not have a Hackintosh either.

My love for Apple is gone, replaced by weariness, "what did they remove this time", and "so this is the European 'cheap' model price...". Our relationship turned sour, then toxic. I'm typing this on a 14"/16 GB/1 TB/i7 quad-core 2-in-1 laptop for 150 euro more than a 8 GB/512 GB/Core 2 Duo Macbook "Air". (1999 vs 1849) It's practically noise-free, the screen is awesome, so are the speakers. No, it doesn't have individual LEDs to illuminate each of the broken keys separately. It probably could be thinner. But I am not too scared to leave the house with it without making sure I've got canned air with me.

I paid Apple tax for the "it just works" experience. This Yoga – so far – just works.

I'll still hang around because my Stockholm Syndrome isn't completely gone yet, but I am unlikely to purchase a Mac anytime soon. We have a "new" iMac, rMB 2016 that continues to chugs along, an iPad Air 2 that refuses to die ;) and that's it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yeah, you may have to. Because as much as it would be nice to put it further away, I believe there is a limit to how long the cable can be and that may be 1M.

Edit: I can appreciate why he returned it though. That Black Magic eGPU is a good chunk of change for a lower end GPU that can’t be upgraded. You’re definitely paying for form and wanting to use the 5K display with your MBP

May need to apply common sense and the limits of current technology :p Black Magic eGPU, forget it as you stated no upgrade path for a rather mediocre card...

Q-6

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
May need to apply common sense and the limits of current technology :p Black Magic eGPU, forget it as you stated no upgrade path for a rather mediocre card...

Q-6

I thought about going the eGPU route when I had the 2018 MBP, but it is hard to justify $699 for a Radeon Pro 580 device that can't be upgraded. $1200 for the Radeon RX Vega 56. Basically a $400 card in an $800 non-upgradable enclosure? (or $250 card in a $450 non-upgradable enclosure in the case of the 580).

In 2-3 years you are going to be wishing for a faster card and wondering if it is worth dropping another $700-1200 for the latest/greatest black magic eGPU.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I thought about going the eGPU route when I had the 2018 MBP, but it is hard to justify $699 for a Radeon Pro 580 device that can't be upgraded. $1200 for the Radeon RX Vega 56. Basically a $400 card in an $800 non-upgradable enclosure? (or $250 card in a $450 non-upgradable enclosure in the case of the 580).

In 2-3 years you are going to be wishing for a faster card and wondering if it is worth dropping another $700-1200 for the latest/greatest black magic eGPU.

eGPU you absolutely want flexibility; upgrades, both AMD & NVIDIA. For me it's impractical as I fly internationally frequently for work purpose and can source a sub 3kg 17.3" notebook with a "Full Fat" 1070 GTX GPU.

Catch me if you can :p
1277CB.png
Corona 300K Rays.JPG

GPU results are only even more embarrassing; but, but, but it's bigger, yeah equally it PERFORMS, is scalable, is reliable, usability that makes sense in the real world. Unfortunately it doesn't coordinate very well with my Caramel Brulée Latte, Peppermint Mocha and Toasted White Chocolate Mocha...

What a sad state of affairs the Mac has devolved into...:( Pro my !@#$

Q-6

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hi @raqball and @navaira , how do you like the C930 so far? How is the battery life and charging speed for both 4K and FHD models in practice?

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The battery life isn't dazzling, but it might be my usage – I always have Chrome open (at the moment only eight tabs, I'm trying to quit ;) ), Spotify, Sonos app, Calendar, Scrivener, Notepad, Plex Server, Dropbox, Google Drive, Creative Cloud, etc. It's the 4K version as well. But I'm mostly on a charger anyway unless the cable is too short (this never happens, it's not Apple) or I'm on a plane – I'll be flying next week and keep you posted. :)

I love everything about this laptop except the trackpad and Windows. Apple broke me to the point where I can't believe this laptop's keyboard still works correctly after FOUR WEEKS! What kind of black magic?! The fan works most of the time but I don't mind, because thanks to that my palms don't sweat all the time and it's not like the fan is roaring, it's just loud enough for me to hear it's working. The screen is fantastic. The fact I have a tiny camera cover – amazing. Having a little pen always stored inside the laptop – amazing (I like having a touchscreen but can't stand having fingerprints on it). And the difference between 512 GB and 1 TB SSD was 100 euro (and I can still replace the drive if for some reason I decide 1 TB is just not large or fast enough).

Subjectively this computer feels...safe. I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels much sturdier than any post-2015 MBP Apple laptop. Maybe it's simply because I don't have to constantly wash my hands and obsessively check if there is no speck of dust between two keys. And the sound hinge is a truly brilliant idea, in the 2018 MBP I muffled the sound simply by typing due to speaker placement. It feels to me like Apple's innovations are all about Courage and Thinness, and Lenovo's innovations are actual improvements that have a point. That 2018 MBP was supposed to become my main machine for years. None of them lasted longer than three weeks before developing keyboard problems. This one feels like it actually might last five years, provided Microsoft doesn't go one update too far.

Reactions: Queen6 and c0ppo

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The battery life isn't dazzling, but it might be my usage – I always have Chrome open (at the moment only eight tabs, I'm trying to quit ;) ), Spotify, Sonos app, Calendar, Scrivener, Notepad, Plex Server, Dropbox, Google Drive, Creative Cloud, etc. It's the 4K version as well. But I'm mostly on a charger anyway unless the cable is too short (this never happens, it's not Apple) or I'm on a plane – I'll be flying next week and keep you posted. :)

I love everything about this laptop except the trackpad and Windows. Apple broke me to the point where I can't believe this laptop's keyboard still works correctly after FOUR WEEKS! What kind of black magic?! The fan works most of the time but I don't mind, because thanks to that my palms don't sweat all the time and it's not like the fan is roaring, it's just loud enough for me to hear it's working. The screen is fantastic. The fact I have a tiny camera cover – amazing. Having a little pen always stored inside the laptop – amazing (I like having a touchscreen but can't stand having fingerprints on it). And the difference between 512 GB and 1 TB SSD was 100 euro (and I can still replace the drive if for some reason I decide 1 TB is just not large or fast enough).

Subjectively this computer feels...safe. I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels much sturdier than any post-2015 MBP Apple laptop. Maybe it's simply because I don't have to constantly wash my hands and obsessively check if there is no speck of dust between two keys. And the sound hinge is a truly brilliant idea, in the 2018 MBP I muffled the sound simply by typing due to speaker placement. It feels to me like Apple's innovations are all about Courage and Thinness, and Lenovo's innovations are actual improvements that have a point. That 2018 MBP was supposed to become my main machine for years. None of them lasted longer than three weeks before developing keyboard problems. This one feels like it actually might last five years, provided Microsoft doesn't go one update too far.

For a 14" 4K screen, what scaling percentage do you use? I don't know how HDR WQHD of X1 Yoga 14" compared with 4K of the c930.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm on Chrome and just paused a 4K video to check and, well, it pauses and plays normal BUT Chrome sometimes gets really slow for no reason I can identify and the only way to "fix" it is to delete Chrome preferences and start anew. Edge has no problems but ewww. (I know Chrome is also ewww, but works and syncs on my phone, Hackintosh, tablet, etc.)

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I'm on Chrome and just paused a 4K video to check and, well, it pauses and plays normal BUT Chrome sometimes gets really slow for no reason I can identify and the only way to "fix" it is to delete Chrome preferences and start anew. Edge has no problems but ewww. (I know Chrome is also ewww, but works and syncs on my phone, Hackintosh, tablet, etc.)

Thanks but I used Edge to play the videos.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Does Chrome work better with the Yoga if you disable the hardware acceleration? I have heard that this was a Chrome issue with some video drivers, but I am not sure if it has been resolved.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
After a few months of use, how do you C930 users like your laptop? Is the hindge still rigid? Is the trackpad easy to be scratched? I can see small scratches of my fingernails on the X1E's trackpad.

What is the best pen for this laptop?

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I love mine. Hinge got a bit looser but I like it – it's now easier to open one-handed. No scratches on anything. Sweat on palmrests comes off MUCH easier than on the Macbooks.

The only thing I dislike is the trackpad itself, but then after ten years of using Macs I am practically legally obliged to dislike it :p

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I love mine. Hinge got a bit looser but I like it – it's now easier to open one-handed. No scratches on anything. Sweat on palmrests comes off MUCH easier than on the Macbooks.

The only thing I dislike is the trackpad itself, but then after ten years of using Macs I am practically legally obliged to dislike it :p

Thanks. So no need of palmrest, trackpad and case protectors? I ordered mine and hope that the screen size is suitable to me. Is the pen that came with it easy to hold? What pen do you recommend?

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thanks. So no need of palmrest, trackpad and case protectors? I ordered mine and hope that the screen size is suitable to me. Is the pen that came with it easy to hold? What pen do you recommend?
I only have the included pen and no, it is not easy to hold. It's very "oh, we can as well stick it in there". It does come useful though, because I HATE fingerprints on the screen.

I would definitely get a matte screen protector – this laptop serves very well as a mirror. Didn't bother with anything else.

I thought I would find the black bar on the bottom of the screen problematic, but honestly I don't see it. I only notice when I remember it's there. No complaints, really. My most often used program is Scrivener and the aspect ratio + screen size make it very comfortable to use (comparing with a 13.3" Macbook Pro).

Do C930 users find the tablet feature useful?
Personally I love it. I've bought a tablet previously to read magazines distributed as PDFs, but the screen was too small when I did a page view. On this one it's perfectly fine, plus I use the pen to turn the pages. Other than that I found it useful in Photoshop when fixing small details with a brush.

(Disclaimer: I am not running Windows on this machine.)

Reactions: Queen6 and maflynn

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I only have the included pen and no, it is not easy to hold. It's very "oh, we can as well stick it in there". It does come useful though, because I HATE fingerprints on the screen.

I would definitely get a matte screen protector – this laptop serves very well as a mirror. Didn't bother with anything else.

I thought I would find the black bar on the bottom of the screen problematic, but honestly I don't see it. I only notice when I remember it's there. No complaints, really. My most often used program is Scrivener and the aspect ratio + screen size make it very comfortable to use (comparing with a 13.3" Macbook Pro).

Personally I love it. I've bought a tablet previously to read magazines distributed as PDFs, but the screen was too small when I did a page view. On this one it's perfectly fine, plus I use the pen to turn the pages. Other than that I found it useful in Photoshop when fixing small details with a brush.

(Disclaimer: I am not running Windows on this machine.)

Are you running Mac OS or Linux?

I had X1Y3 with WQHD but the screen resolutions is too small for me to see many things at once clearly at scaling. Not sure if the 4K resolutions with scalilng would help.

It is strange that I ordered the computer and Lenovo cancelled it automatically. I have heard similar story before. Are they crazy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.