Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivanicin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2017
Currently Apple locks the Siri voice only to the operating system functions. It is a reasonable decision as some app could impersonate Siri and try to steal the sensitive personal data.

However, it is not reasonable that the user cannot unlock Siri voice for other apps if he checks some setting and confirms in the dialog that he is aware of the listed problems that may arise from such an action.

That would bring huge value to many apps. I am the developer of one such app (Speech Central) whose users frequently ask on how to use Siri voice with it. But there are many very popular apps that would have benefit from it, top of the mind it would be Google Maps.

If you find that this is helpful to you or to some people that you may know, please join me in asking Apple to do this. You can do that using the Apple's feedback assistant, the web link to it is: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/ . In the header of that page there is the write icon that is used to start the feedback process. Just tell in your own words that you would like the setting to unlock the Siri voice for all apps to people that confirm that they are fine that after that some apps might use the Siri voice into tricking them that it is Siri.

Also as the viewing of the feedback is locked to Apple please also write here a short reply if you think that this idea would be useful.

Reactions: Solomani

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've never done this on iOS; But have you tried specifying Samantha as the voice? It's not quite the same as using the Siri voice but it should be fairly close. - Also Alex is the best English voice anyway.

But overall, yeah, no I think you make a good point that it'd be nice to have the feature for app development

ivanicin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2017
I've never done this on iOS; But have you tried specifying Samantha as the voice? It's not quite the same as using the Siri voice but it should be fairly close. - Also Alex is the best English voice anyway.

But overall, yeah, no I think you make a good point that it'd be nice to have the feature for app development
Samantha is technically different from Siri, to my best knowledge Apple made Siri completely using AI, while Samantha is a licensed voice built in a more traditional way like it was done 10 or more years ago. Also there is male Siri voice and Siri covers multiple languages unlike Samantha.

I don’t say that those other voices are not usable and ok, but still they are no match for Siri.

So if you feel like this is useful, please send the feedback to Apple to make it happen. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.