Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
::EDIT:: Tried to clarify the rules a bit.

With all of the talk of new systems, with new features, and bigger Graphics and ,bla, bla, bla, I think it is time to refresh our memories to some old Favorite (or not so favorite) Macintosh computers. The recent post of the 128k image also sparked the idea into my head for this post.

Anyway,
Every other day ( or close to it) I will post up 2 pictures of a classic Macintosh computers. The first one will be an easy picture to ID (sometimes cropped), and the second an obscure portion of the case or screen (most always cropped).

Points system.
Points will be rewarded for correctly guessing the pictures with the overall value displayed above the picture. I (and others watching most likely) will keep track of the points.

If people are not interested, this thread will die off, and we will have to go without. :(

Notes on the Game
There will only be 10 sets of 2 pictures, Since Apple had a limited number of computers and case designs, and the game would get old if it were to extend over that point. Also to note, You may see a similar chassis 2 times. I will do my best to leave obscure clues as to what exact system it is if the 1st round of guesses turn out be wrong for a particular case. But uncertainty is part of the fun right! ;)

Rules of the game
- Each person gets only 1 guess .
- You can only make 1 guess per round (meaning you have to pick the easy or obscure picture).
- If you accidentally guess 2 times (or for both systems) in your post, only the first name listed counts, and you will be excluded from the following round of pictures
- Any edited posts will be excluded (even if you are correct)
Again only one guess per round

You can only post a 2nd answer if the round is again "open to all".

I can't give anything as a reward, but you can link to this thread in your signature and post up bragging rights on Macrumors for winning :).

First Up EASY

1 point for the first person to correctly ID the Exact system

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mkjj said:
1st One; 128k MAC?
Second:G3 all in one? (didn't have them in the UK)

Well Per the Rules you are only able to pick one of them to guess per round, but since you are the first I will give you the one you got correct. Otherwise the default (if you try to answer 2) is to pick the first one you listed, and that was an incorrect guess.

3 points to mkjj for the G3 All In One.

#1 the "easy" one is still up for grabs

image.php

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Marky_Mark said:

Close, but since I think I got this backwards, I will award the point for this one too. It turns out that the easy one is actually hard, because it is obscure in it's own way. I need to drop hints for models like this (models that share cases).

The item pictured in #1 is actually an early Macintosh Plus.

I will start work on the next two pictures for the game :)

image.php

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
man i was jost going to say it was a plus :) oh well

it seems like this will be a fun game

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Review and Next!

Lets skip this every other day thing, I will post up pictures at random, and at all hours of the day (or night) depending on my time and web availability. This will give opportunity for people with different schedules to play :)

Review Round #1
#1 Macintosh Plus - 1 Point awarded to Marky_Mark​
#2 Power Macintosh G3 All In One (AIO) - 3 Points awarded to mkjj​

Standings Round #1
3 Points mkjj​
1 Point Marky_Mark​

Next

#3 = 2 Points (Clue #1 "Dual")

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Correct Guess
#3 2 Points go to Macmaniac. As the Powerbook is a 190c. The hint "Dual" was in regards to the Dual Scan LCD.

However since Macmaniac guessed twice only their first answer listed counts. Remember only one guess per round, and per the rules if you guess twice you have to sit out during the next group of 2 pictures. The only reason for this rule is to ensure that more people have a chance to play.

Still Available
#4 (Vague Hint = Only one to have one)

840quadra said:
Correct Guess
#3 2 Points go to Macmaniac. As the Powerbook is a 190c. The hint "Dual" was in regards to the Dual Scan LCD.

However since Macmaniac guessed twice only their first answer listed counts. Remember only one guess per round, and per the rules if you guess twice you have to sit out during the next group of 2 pictures. The only reason for this rule is to ensure that more people have a chance to play.

Still Available
#4 (Vague Hint = Only one to have one)
Whoops, it pays to read, my bad. I will just have to sit and watch the next round. Wish I had found this thread earlier cause the AIO was a dead giveaway since I have worked on one:)

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Review Round #2
#3 Powerbook 190cs - 2 Points awarded to Macmaniac​
#4 Macintosh IIfx - 4 Points awarded to joecool85​

The relevance of the clue "only one with one" is in relation to the fact that the IIfx was the only model of the full sized II series with 1 PDS, and 6 NuBus Slots. The strange extra long looking Nubus slot in the picture is a good hint at this systems identity.

Standings Round #2
4 Points joecool85​
3 Points mkjj​
2 Point Macmaniac​
1 Point Marky_Mark​

More pictures for the game will be uploaded later this weekend. Thanks everyone for playing, it is good to see that we have so many people with knowledge of classics, and, or really good with Google :) .

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
840quadra said:
::EDIT:: Tried to clarify the rules a bit.

With all of the talk of new systems, with new features, and bigger Graphics and ,bla, bla, bla, I think it is time to refresh our memories to some old Favorite (or not so favorite) Macintosh computers. The recent post of the 128k image also sparked the idea into my head for this post.

Anyway,
Every other day ( or close to it) I will post up 2 pictures of a classic Macintosh computers. The first one will be an easy picture to ID (sometimes cropped), and the second an obscure portion of the case or screen (most always cropped).

Points system.
Points will be rewarded for correctly guessing the pictures with the overall value displayed above the picture. I (and others watching most likely) will keep track of the points.

If people are not interested, this thread will die off, and we will have to go without. :(

Notes on the Game
There will only be 10 sets of 2 pictures, Since Apple had a limited number of computers and case designs, and the game would get old if it were to extend over that point. Also to note, You may see a similar chassis 2 times. I will do my best to leave obscure clues as to what exact system it is if the 1st round of guesses turn out be wrong for a particular case. But uncertainty is part of the fun right! ;)

Rules of the game
- Each person gets only 1 guess .
- You can only make 1 guess per round (meaning you have to pick the easy or obscure picture).
- If you accidentally guess 2 times (or for both systems) in your post, only the first name listed counts, and you will be excluded from the following round of pictures
- Any edited posts will be excluded (even if you are correct)
Again only one guess per round

You can only post a 2nd answer if the round is again "open to all".

I can't give anything as a reward, but you can link to this thread in your signature and post up bragging rights on Macrumors for winning :).

First Up EASY

1 point for the first person to correctly ID the Exact system

Is that the 512? (pardon me if I'm very wrong im not very good naming old macs.) But it might be the edu model to. or just the originial macintosh.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Next

This round I will post up clues later, feel free to use your ONE guess on either one of these, if nobody can get them without a clue, I will post one up. After the clue is posted, you can guess again.

Sorry for the delay, long busy weekend!

#5 = 1 Point

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Ha!
No 5 is a PowerMac 7200/90 - I had one.

EDIT - Actually, no it's not...it's a Mac IIvx, which I also had (but at work). The 7200/90 had the PowerPC logo to the left of the floppy drive, and a slightly more rounded case.

How sad am I??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.