Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks for that. Does the advanced option slow it down by a bit like milliseconds vs 2 seconds? Are you going to use that over the FP sensor?
I will untick that option and try and record it without tapping to wake screen and you can see ....

It's about same as the S8. It's fast. TBH, I will still use fingerprint, though I normally have smart unlock enabled anyway.

Reactions: Klyster and nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I will untick that option and try and record it without tapping to wake screen and you can see ....

It's about same as the S8. It's fast. TBH, I will still use fingerprint, though I normally have smart unlock enabled anyway.

Good to see it's quite quick. Thanks for the second video too. Definitely interested in the G6.

Reactions: MRU

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I've been using it for a few weeks now and must say that it's the best Android phone I've ever owned, from Sony to Samsung Galaxy phones, this one just feels great, works wonderfully, great performance, has a fantastic screen, and is aesthetically pleasing.

IMG_5095.JPG

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've been using it for a few weeks now and must say that it's the best Android phone I've ever owned, from Sony to Samsung Galaxy phones, this one just feels great, works wonderfully, great performance, has a fantastic screen, and is aesthetically pleasing.

View attachment 712009
It's really become the unsung underdog this year ... The best value flagship phone that most people won't buy or even be aware of.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
It's really become the unsung underdog this year ... The best value flagship phone that most people won't buy or even be aware of.

So true. I don't quite understand it. I'm still using my iPhone 7 Plus, but in all honesty, for media consumption, the LG G6 is far more pleasurable to me and the IP7+ display feels like an insult to my eyes by comparison.

I've been really looking forward to getting the new iPhone come September... However, given that the LG V30 is just around the corner as well, I no longer know if I really want the new iPhone as I've been enjoying the LG so much and I'm going to assume that the LG V30 will be much more of the same, only better.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Tried the LG G6 and here are my initial thoughts:

Screen is very impressive. Full brightness is very accurate and isn't too saturated. However, auto-brightness seemed very dim compared to the GS8/GS8+.

Idk if autorotation wasn't working problem on the YouTube app when I used the demo model, but I had to set that on manually on my own. The app also had trouble with the keyboard w/ the "X delete button" being close to the search button so it caused the demo unit to act up a bit. Swiftkey will take care of that though.

32gb internal storage seems too little as well. Good thing there is a SD card.

The processor doesn't seem bad at all. It's no 835, but 821 is no slouch. I haven't noticed any micro stutters or lagging. The UI isn't aesthetically pleasing, but it's not bad as the LG G3's UI set up. Not sure what's the point of the Q Slide. The facial detection @MRU shared inspires confidence regarding using that in conjunction with the FP sensor.

The build quality is great. The black model seems better to watch videos on, but the silver one looks like a better device color to buy. The sound isn't too bad. I am definitely interested in this device. Time will tell if I get one.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
@nviz22, I can't replicate those YouTube app issues that you speak of that you experienced with the demo model. I use the YouTube app excessively and there've been zero issues with it for me, both in terms of auto-rotation and the delete button.

As for the UI, I didn't like it much either and instantly put the Nova Launcher Prime over it.

Reactions: nviz22 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah no issues with YouTube here either. Mine auto rotates without problem. Could be a Issue with the store device / rom they use.

I actually don't mind the UI, I switch between Nova and stock UX 6.0 and generally prefer to just use UX 6.0 on it. I have set it up with two screens like so ..

(No app drawer)

93689f5de53d9df867e0138e7acc9bb8.jpg

0e053f6dbd773483e6479b5c44ade70e.jpg

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
@nviz22, I can't replicate those YouTube app issues that you speak of that you experienced with the demo model. I use the YouTube app excessively and there've been zero issues with it for me, both in terms of auto-rotation and the delete button.

As for the UI, I didn't like it much either and instantly put the Nova Launcher Prime over it.

Good to hear. I am going to still use Swiftkey as my default keyboard if I get the LG G6. Nova Launcher might make an appearance on my future phone for the first time in awhile.

Reactions: MRU and sartrekid

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
There is a deal on right now for the LG G6 where they also give you a Style Watch and paid of fancy B&O headphones, all for an obcenely low price.

Gotta agree, this phone should be getting snapped up left, right and centre! But the power of Samsung's marketing is trumping LG.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
There is a deal on right now for the LG G6 where they also give you a Style Watch and paid of fancy B&O headphones, all for an obcenely low price.

Gotta agree, this phone should be getting snapped up left, right and centre! But the power of Samsung's marketing is trumping LG.

Link?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah no issues with YouTube here either. Mine auto rotates without problem. Could be a Issue with the store device / rom they use.

I actually don't mind the UI, I switch between Nova and stock UX 6.0 and generally prefer to just use UX 6.0 on it. I have set it up with two screens like so ..

(No app drawer)

93689f5de53d9df867e0138e7acc9bb8.jpg

0e053f6dbd773483e6479b5c44ade70e.jpg

Which wallpaper is this? Me likes. :)

Do you feel the G6 has one of the best displays and have you adjusted the dpi?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Which wallpaper is this? Me likes. :)

Do you feel the G6 has one of the best displays and have you adjusted the dpi?

Here is the wallpaper and another of my favourites.

I am using standard scaling (middle of the scale) in settings with medium font.

Attachments

• wallpaper-lg-g4-1440-x-2560-qhd-128.jpg
    wallpaper-lg-g4-1440-x-2560-qhd-128.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Galaxy S8 wallpaper (2)-02.jpeg
    Galaxy S8 wallpaper (2)-02.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: AppleRobert

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Where is that Face Unlock update for the LG G6 in the States? That would be a welcomed sight before I commit to buying a LG G6. Right now, the iPhone is in first place, but I am not so keen on spending around $650 for it after tax and trading in my SE via bill credit if T-Mobile offers its same promotion as last year.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where is that Face Unlock update for the LG G6 in the States? That would be a welcomed sight before I commit to buying a LG G6. Right now, the iPhone is in first place, but I am not so keen on spending around $650 for it after tax and trading in my SE via bill credit if T-Mobile offers its same promotion as last year.

Would you not consider just buying it outright from online retailer like eglobal or similar for $380-400. The H870DS has all the radio frequencies for USA I believe.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Would you not consider just buying it outright from online retailer like eglobal or similar for $380-400. The H870DS has all the radio frequencies for USA I believe.

I'll have to look into how it interacts with my carrier with wifi calling and the not. Is that the quad core dac one

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
G6 'after the buzz' video

Reachability / one handed [mini] mode is present on my device with the last update ... as per usual USA updates lag behind the rest of the world.

4504160ea01341065a16d3c451ae85ee.jpg

9a1d236f4041fbd34d4ab80da7917740.jpg

Reactions: nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Is the LG G6 a type of phone you have to spend a lot of time debloating and package disabling to get good battery life and reliable performance? Or is that mainly for Samsung devices? I want to consider only Android devices that can mimic an iPhone experience: no frills and just works while having top notch hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.