Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is the LG G6 a type of phone you have to spend a lot of time debloating and package disabling to get good battery life and reliable performance? Or is that mainly for Samsung devices? I want to consider only Android devices that can mimic an iPhone experience: no frills and just works while having top notch hardware.

I never had to debloat anything on either my European H870 or the Dual Sim Taiwan H870DS model.

Very little extra apps were preinstalled over stock function apps and google apps.

I haven't done a single thing performance wise to optimise it (intervening) or fiddle with battery.

I get 5 hours SOT over the course a full day (15-16 hours on battery / wifi and LTE) routinely ...

US models, especially Verizon ... I would imagine there would be bloat, and other pita things.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I never had to debloat anything on either my European H870 or the Dual Sim Taiwan H870DS model.

Very little extra apps were preinstalled over stock function apps and google apps.

I haven't done a single thing performance wise to optimise it (intervening) or fiddle with battery.

I get 5 hours SOT over the course a full day (15-16 hours on battery / wifi and LTE) routinely ...

US models, especially Verizon ... I would imagine there would be bloat, and other pita things.

Should be the same more or less between US vs international?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Should be the same more or less between US vs international?

No your carrier phones over there install a load of apps such as their own service apps as well as 'partners' third party apps. Also they tend to tinker with network settings and such which can often have a detrimental effect of battery life and even performance. If you are in the position to similar oh buy the international model from amazon or such - it would undoubtably have less things for you to tinker with to get smoother experience.

Reactions: spinedoc77

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No your carrier phones over there install a load of apps such as their own service apps as well as 'partners' third party apps. Also they tend to tinker with network settings and such which can often have a detrimental effect of battery life and even performance. If you are in the position to similar oh buy the international model from amazon or such - it would undoubtably have less things for you to tinker with to get smoother experience.

What about the US unlocked model too? I wonder if it has wi-fi calling because I don't see convincing evidence enough when I did research on XDA.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Is the LG G6 a type of phone you have to spend a lot of time debloating and package disabling to get good battery life and reliable performance? Or is that mainly for Samsung devices? I want to consider only Android devices that can mimic an iPhone experience: no frills and just works while having top notch hardware.

I bought an unlocked version, so no carrier garbage and very, very few pre-loaded apps, much unlike the experience I had with my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Reactions: MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does the G6 offer a do not disturb mode and night mode with the screen turning blue light off to help the user use it better at night?

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Does the G6 offer a do not disturb mode and night mode with the screen turning blue light off to help the user use it better at night?
Yes it offers both. You can schedule the do not disturb mode, but the blue light filter has to be activated manually unfortunately.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For T-Mobile users, is the US997 able to still get all the T-Mobile Network features like Wi-Fi Calling, Carrier Aggregation, Band 12 LTE, VoLTE, etc?

And for eBay/Swappa purchasers, could you get the 2nd year warranty extension even though you bought it brand new from an unofficial platform?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It's crazy that LG wants me to purchase a phone through their overpriced affiliated channels to get a 2nd year warranty extension.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's crazy that LG wants me to purchase a phone through their overpriced affiliated channels to get a 2nd year warranty extension.
Sadly most (not sure of any that really do) android OEMs don't offer an international warranty like Apple do.

So you end up either with limited or practicality wise no warranty if you import, or are forced to pay silly retail pricing locally.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sadly most (not sure of any that really do) android OEMs don't offer an international warranty like Apple do.

So you end up either with limited or practicality wise no warranty if you import, or are forced to pay silly retail pricing locally.

I gotta go local because I need my carrier's features, but nobody seems to have a clue on XDA regarding the US997 working with T-Mobile USA. $450 is the lowest price I have seen, but that's because Best Buy wants me to buy a crappy $40 refill card and SIM card for a company I don't have any business working with.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I had a US997 smartphone on AT&T, I think it was an LG. I could never get LTE on it from what I recall back when if I remember correctly.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
For T-Mobile users, is the US997 able to still get all the T-Mobile Network features like Wi-Fi Calling, Carrier Aggregation, Band 12 LTE, VoLTE, etc?

And for eBay/Swappa purchasers, could you get the 2nd year warranty extension even though you bought it brand new from an unofficial platform?

I have a T-Mobile branded G6 (carrier unlocked) in mint condition listed on Swappa. It will come with the 2nd year warranty. I can PM you the link if you're interested.

With regards to your question about the US997 model, when I owned it, i was on Verizon and Volte worked just fine. But not sure about all your questions with T-Mobile. I do recall that the US unlocked version was far slower on updates. In fact, I had it about 2 months ago and it still had the factory shipping rom on it with the march security update. The T-Mobile version has been quicker to receive updates, but not as quick as most would like.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I have a T-Mobile branded G6 (carrier unlocked) in mint condition listed on Swappa. It will come with the 2nd year warranty. I can PM you the link if you're interested.

With regards to your question about the US997 model, when I owned it, i was on Verizon and Volte worked just fine. But not sure about all your questions with T-Mobile. I do recall that the US unlocked version was far slower on updates. In fact, I had it about 2 months ago and it still had the factory shipping rom on it with the march security update. The T-Mobile version has been quicker to receive updates, but not as quick as most would like.

Problem is LG won't let the warranty transfer over. I'll take a look on Swappa though.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Problem is LG won't let the warranty transfer over. I'll take a look on Swappa though.

are you sure? everything needed for a warranty claim is in that email. If that's the case, then that's not good.

EDIT:
yes, you are correct according to the terms (https://lgg6promise.com/us/en/pages/claim/terms)
  • Promise Program offer is non-transferable and extends to the original purchaser only.
pretty crappy on LG.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
yes, you are correct according to the terms (https://lgg6promise.com/us/en/pages/claim/terms)
  • Promise Program offer is non-transferable and extends to the original purchaser only.
pretty crappy on LG.

MY GOD That is stupid. Here in Europe (on EU devices) we get 2 years Warranty as standard and is tied to phone not the customer. They know like Apple when the device was first activated via IMEI so can date it.

Sadly I have an Asian model so have affectingly means no warranty because if anything goes wrong I would have to send to LG in Asia ...

This is where Apple have the upper hand over all android OEMs with international warranty.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Why is LG testing my damn patience? I really am tempted to hit buy it now and submit an order for $470, but the V30 is two days away and the iPhone is about 2 weeks to 4 weeks away. Can't they have a deal for Labor Day or something?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Why is LG testing my damn patience? I really am tempted to hit buy it now and submit an order for $470, but the V30 is two days away and the iPhone is about 2 weeks to 4 weeks away. Can't they have a deal for Labor Day or something?

I'd wait for at least the V30 announcement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.