Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Wow, they're already arriving! Wishing I'd pulled the trigger now!
[doublepost=1482457505][/doublepost]Are they only shipping in the UK then? I expected to see a front page post when shipping started!

Reactions: iBrooker

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
@iBrooker - did yours really arrive today? No stores seemed to get stock today (was disappointed) and no-one else is posting about receiving theirs.

Stealth66

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
UK
Just joined to say that I received mine today (x2)!! - I ordered literally within seconds of them going on sale (estimated delivery 28-30 December). I received a shipping email out of the blue yesterday afternoon (22 Dec) and they were delivered today (UK Mail). The delivery originated in Hinckley (GB).

I've used Apple Thunderbolt displays for a few years and I must say these LG 5Ks are awesome! - very bright, incredibly sharp and worked flawlessly out of the box (just like an Apple product!). It works fine with the Belkin Ethernet adapter plugged into the back of the display.

One caveat to mention - Of the two I ordered, the first one I set up didn't work properly; the LG screen wouldn't display an image despite powering my MBP with the supplied Thunderbolt 3 cable. Also the MBP screen kept flicking on and off (as if trying to change resolution?). Because i'd ordered two I quickly realised that one of them has a duff Thunderbolt 3 cable. After a chat with Apple Support i've made a Genius appointment to switch over the cable - so all will be good. I did consider asking in store to swap the LG supplied TB3 cable for a Belkin 2m one as carried in Apple Stores, but then realised that this only allows 60w and not the 85w that the LG 5k can push to the MBP. I hope this info proves useful to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation!

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Just joined to say that I received mine today (x2)!! - I ordered literally within seconds of them going on sale (estimated delivery 28-30 December). I received a shipping email out of the blue yesterday afternoon (22 Dec) and they were delivered today (UK Mail). The delivery originated in Hinckley (GB).

I've used Apple Thunderbolt displays for a few years and I must say these LG 5Ks are awesome! - very bright, incredibly sharp and worked flawlessly out of the box (just like an Apple product!). It works fine with the Belkin Ethernet adapter plugged into the back of the display.

One caveat to mention - Of the two I ordered, the first one I set up didn't work properly; the LG screen wouldn't display an image despite powering my MBP with the supplied Thunderbolt 3 cable. Also the MBP screen kept flicking on and off (as if trying to change resolution?). Because i'd ordered two I quickly realised that one of them has a duff Thunderbolt 3 cable. After a chat with Apple Support i've made a Genius appointment to switch over the cable - so all will be good. I did consider asking in store to swap the LG supplied TB3 cable for a Belkin 2m one as carried in Apple Stores, but then realised that this only allows 60w and not the 85w that the LG 5k can push to the MBP. I hope this info proves useful to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation!

Any pictures, bud?!! Thats exciting. Exactly how I want to set up my desk

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK

Awesome! Supremely envious, enjoy! :D

That sounds like it might be a bit of a PITA with the cable since the replacement might have to come via LG. Good job you got two!

Stealth66

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
UK
Here you go… crappy pic, but you get the idea! Although there's been a lot of negativity around the 'forehead' on this display and the cheap look compared to the Apple Thunderbolt display, I think that with the black surround it's less visually 'obtrusive' than the TB Display and lets you focus more easily on the (gorgeous) screen.

Another thing to mention - there's an Application you can download called LG Screen Manager (http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-27MD5K) which facilitates software updates for the monitor and splitting the screen (bit like split screen on an iPad). I think the screen works without it though.

LG5k.JPG

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
@Brookzy - Yep, it arrived exactly the same time as my MBP (DHL and DPD) how weird was that!?

I've spent a couple of hours setting it all up and have to say the display itself is stunning. However I'm still a bit peed that there is no headphone out (so I will have to waste one usb-c port for that) and I am not fussed on the built in speakers, and didn't really want/need a camera (which I will cover up!). I also wish it went lower in the stand so that I could angle it upwards as that's what I've always done with my Dells.

So.. the display itself is stunning, but there seems to be a lack of thought into a few of the other things.

I'll post an update and photos later :D

Reactions: Brookzy

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
@Brookzy - Yep, it arrived exactly the same time as my MBP (DHL and DPD) how weird was that!?

I've spent a couple of hours setting it all up and have to say the display itself is stunning. However I'm still a bit peed that there is no headphone out (so I will have to waste one usb-c port for that) and I am not fussed on the built in speakers, and didn't really want/need a camera (which I will cover up!). I also wish it went lower in the stand so that I could angle it upwards as that's what I've always done with my Dells.

So.. the display itself is stunning, but there seems to be a lack of thought into a few of the other things.

I'll post an update and photos later :D

I wonder how the refresh rate and response time is (5ms?)?

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Oh wow you can change the brightness via the keyboard when in clamshell mode - that's awesome :D

I wonder how the refresh rate and response time is (5ms?)?

Looks like a pretty solid 60hz to me (how can I check?) not sure about the response times (again, how can I check?)

Reactions: nikster0029

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
How's the built-in speakers? I'm looking to dump my bulky desktop speakers. I don't watch movies or listen to music a lot from computer.

iAustralian

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
How's the built-in speakers? I'm looking to dump my bulky desktop speakers. I don't watch movies or listen to music a lot from computer.

Mine was delivered yesterday. First impressions are that the speakers are quite average, I was expecting something more akin to iMac, but seemed to lack the clarity of the iMac speakers (I suppose they benefit a lot from Apple's case design).

Other first impressions are a simply stunning display, an enlarged version of the new MacBook Pros in every way (p3colour, 220ppi, 500nits). I'm sure this will be the panel for next years iMac.

The design and feel of the display is better than I expected. The cables (power and tb3) feel like they might have been manufactured by Apple? The metal stand adds some robustness to the product. But industrial design is lacking compared to my old 30 inch Cinema Display that now sits beside it. But still the LG fades away as an object once that screen is shining!

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
How glossy is the screen. I'm deciding between this and a more matte finished Dell since my office has a lot of bright lights.

Reactions: breggie

samcow

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
Waiting on anyone with a 13 inch TB to indicate whether it can smoothly power this display.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I ordered one of these 2-4 weeks delivery.

I was checking everyday so I could pull the trigger and the one day I didn't check I missed the launch window for quick delivery which really annoys me.

I don't know if I am happy or annoyed they came early. It is possible that this is good news and all the orders will arrive early OR they could just be very luck!

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I have 2 displays on order (2-4 week delivery also) and am really anxious to hear how the 15" handles dual 5K displays.

I'm trading up from a 2008 3.2 octo-core mac pro with dual 30" cinema displays, to a 2016 2.9ghz 460 15" mbp with dual 5Ks. I'm hoping the result is not a laggy unusable mess.

So please, if you have a working setup with dual 5Ks, I would leave to hear how it performs.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
How glossy is the screen. I'm deciding between this and a more matte finished Dell since my office has a lot of bright lights.

Coming from a matte screen I am finding it fairly glossy, I've switched of the lights behind me and moved a lamp to the desk so it illuminates behind the screen - this seems to work best for me. (Will post photos later.)

I have 2 displays on order (2-4 week delivery also) and am really anxious to hear how the 15" handles dual 5K displays.

I'm trading up from a 2008 3.2 octo-core mac pro with dual 30" cinema displays, to a 2016 2.9ghz 460 15" mbp with dual 5Ks. I'm hoping the result is not a laggy unusable mess.

So please, if you have a working setup with dual 5Ks, I would leave to hear how it performs.

That is the same spec as mine and it runs a single display without breaking into a sweat (I've watched 4K youtube vids and I don't even think the fans came on).

What size HD did you get btw? I am thinking of returning mine (500GB) for the one with 1TB...

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
What size HD did you get btw? I am thinking of returning mine (500GB) for the one with 1TB...

I'm actually got the 512GB one. I really am fine with that as i've put together a couple of USB-C 3.1 external enclosures with fast SSDs. Should comfortably get over 550Mb/s read and writes. Plenty good enough for my iPhoto and iTunes libraries. Really those are the main space gobblers I have to deal with. I plan on hanging a couple of these drives off the back of the displays.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Hey we got featured on the front page - your photo got included too @Stealth66 :D

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/23/first-lg-ultrafine-5k-display-deliveries

I feel a bit bad now, hope I didn't come across as too critical - the main thing about the display, the display itself, is amazing. I also love the fact we can control brightness through keyboard in clamshell mode and I love the 3 usb-c ports on the back.

There's only really two maybe three things I wish were different:

- Headphone out (to connect to an amp)
- Sacrifice camera for thinner top bezel - though I don't mind it.
- Not sure if this would have been possible, but a HDMI in (for a PS4 PRO was 4K) would have been amazing!

I originally bought this display to 'try out', but right now, I don't want to send it back!! ;) It's that good :)

I'm actually got the 512GB one. I really am fine with that as i've put together a couple of USB-C 3.1 external enclosures with fast SSDs. Should comfortably get over 550Mb/s read and writes. Plenty good enough for my iPhoto and iTunes libraries. Really those are the main space gobblers I have to deal with. I plan on hanging a couple of these drives off the back of the displays.

That's what I was going to do, but I would need to buy an SSD (only got an only 125GB one) so £150 for a 500GB SSD, plus £16 for the adapter means for an extra £200 I could have the same built in and so one free usb-c slot.

If the battery on this performs well, then I will probably do that and get the upgrade - will post an update on the forums in a week or two though :cool:

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
Enjoy guys! I'm sure those screens are amazing! A must-have addition to the new MBP!

I would love to have them as well. But when I tried to order at the first moment the sale started, Apple Switzerland removed the product because LG forgot that Switzerland has a different power plug and didn't provide a correct one. I have dozens of those cables at home but no, Apple decided to remove the product so I was not able to order. Instead of having them now as well, I need to wait god knows how long because we still can't order in Switzerland. This is truly the biggest f*ck up for Swiss customers.

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
...That's what I was going to do, but I would need to buy an SSD (only got an only 125GB one) so £150 for a 500GB SSD, plus £16 for the adapter means for an extra £200 I could have the same built in and so one free usb-c slot...

I picked up a couple of 1TB SSDs over the Thanksgiving weekend for < $200 each. The cost of 512GB -> 1TB option is $400. So definitely worth the cost of going external. 2TB storage vs extra 512GB for same money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.