Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

methnen

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
To anyone who has one already. How does the 5K screen look in 4K mode?

Last edited:

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
It runs at full 60Hz but with a relatively slow 12-14ms response time.

Thats horrifyingly slow
[doublepost=1482543437][/doublepost]
I picked up a couple of 1TB SSDs over the Thanksgiving weekend for < $200 each. The cost of 512GB -> 1TB option is $400. So definitely worth the cost of going external. 2TB storage vs extra 512GB for same money

By chance, which ones did you get?

Reactions: jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Well done to the guys who've got them – you lucky people!

Been following the various threads on the LG 5K (but was out all today, so just catching up now). Still on for 10-24 Jan for my two to be delivered (even though I got my order in within 20 mins of it being released!).

Just joined to say that I received mine today (x2)!! - I ordered literally within seconds of them going on sale (estimated delivery 28-30 December). I received a shipping email out of the blue yesterday afternoon (22 Dec) and they were delivered today (UK Mail). The delivery originated in Hinckley (GB).

I've used Apple Thunderbolt displays for a few years and I must say these LG 5Ks are awesome! - very bright, incredibly sharp and worked flawlessly out of the box (just like an Apple product!). It works fine with the Belkin Ethernet adapter plugged into the back of the display.

One caveat to mention - Of the two I ordered, the first one I set up didn't work properly; the LG screen wouldn't display an image despite powering my MBP with the supplied Thunderbolt 3 cable. Also the MBP screen kept flicking on and off (as if trying to change resolution?). Because i'd ordered two I quickly realised that one of them has a duff Thunderbolt 3 cable. After a chat with Apple Support i've made a Genius appointment to switch over the cable - so all will be good. I did consider asking in store to swap the LG supplied TB3 cable for a Belkin 2m one as carried in Apple Stores, but then realised that this only allows 60w and not the 85w that the LG 5k can push to the MBP. I hope this info proves useful to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation!

Did you get a replacement directly from an Apple store (which branch?)? Love to know if the branches are stocking them, or whether they have to be specially ordered or something.

Few Q's:
1) cable: Who makes it or what is the brand? Reason wondering, as it seems to be the only 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable on the market supporting 85W 15" MBPtb charging. As mentioned, the 2m Belkin one only offers up to 60W power.

2) cable: Does this cable also work at full USB-C 3.1 gen 2 10-Gbps speed (or even gen 1, 5-Gbps) when used on it's own? Again, the 2m Belkin one only offers USB 2.0 speeds.

If the cable does both of these, I'd love to buy a spare or two for other uses, as it'd be great all in one cable: 85W charge + 40Gbit Tbolt 3 + 10Gbit USB-C 3.1 + 2 meters length!!

3) additional displays: Can you run another display from the USB-C ports on the back of the LG 5K display? Likely using a USB-C-to-whatever adaptor.

4) additional displays: For owners of TWO of the LG 5K's, can you connect an additional display on top of the two 5K LG's to the MBP?
(the new 15" MBPtb is supposed to support SIX display lanes: 1 for MBP screen + 2 for LG 5K#1 + 2 for LG 5K#2 + 1 thus still available!). Great to know if the MBP can also handle an additional HDTV (1080p) or even better, Apple Cinema/Thunderbolt Display (1440p) or even better, a 4K display (2160p, either UHD 3840×2160 or wide-4K 4096×2160) or even better, an ultrawide display (various resolutions). It'd be truly amazing if it can ANY of these additional screen sizes!!

5) out of interest, when shipped, did the displays come in plain outer boxes, to protect the main displays' box from damage?

If any owners can fill us in, it'd be much appreciated! :) (BTW, some info might be available under System Info.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brookzy

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Few Q's:
1) cable: Who makes it or what is the brand? Reason wondering, as it seems to be the only 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable on the market supporting 85W 15" MBPtb charging. As mentioned, the 2m Belkin one only offers up to 60W power.

2) cable: Does this cable also work at full USB-C 3.1 gen 2 10-Gbps speed (or even gen 1, 5-Gbps) when used on it's own? Again, the 2m Belkin one only offers USB 2.0 speeds.

No cable can possibly be used as both an active Thunderbolt cable or as a USB3 cable. The active circuitry for Thunderbolt means it can no longer pass USB3 signals. Of course, the Thunderbolt cable could go to a device that contains a USB3 controller which then hosts USB3 outputs.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
My Mac is actually giving me grief right now :(

First, it wouldn't let me have a capital letter for my name/account. So I reformatted and it did the same (in the end had to manually rename).

Then it didn't recognise my Mail files.

Now I am reformatting it again but it is taking forever... and making weird noises as if it were a mechanical disk!! Wth!! At this rate they'll both be going back lol

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Few Q's:

If the cable does both of these, I'd love to buy a spare or two for other uses, as it'd be great all in one cable: 85W charge + 40Gbit Tbolt 3 + 10Gbit USB-C 3.1 + 2 meters length!!
Good questions. I don't have one but rather than waiting until someone can confirm I thought I'd take a stab at your first two questions because I have been researching this topic.
  1. The long, active Thunderbolt 3 cables around today all seem to be made by the same manufacturer who pioneered these ultra-complex state of the art cables. The Belkin 2m cable is structurally capable of up to 100W but has been artificially limited to 60W because of licensing issues with Intel. Having looked at images of the two cables, it is possible - probable even - that they are effectively the same cable made in the same factory, but the LG/Apple one is eMarked at 5A/100W rather than 3A/60W.
  2. No active cables can be backwards compatible with USB 3 (as @curmudgeonette posted as I was half-way through typing this post). Not all Thunderbolt 3 cables are active cables, which is why some are backwards compatible. As a general rule, any Thunderbolt 3 cable longer than 1m is definitely an active cable. For example, the 0.5m Belkin passive cable is fully backwards compatible with USB 3 up to 10 Gbps but the 2m active one isn't.
(Edited to add reason for the Belkin's 3A limitation.)

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
To anyone who has one already. How does the 5K screen look in 4K mode?

There is no 4K mode... afaik it just scales 4K up to 5K to fill the screen, unless you're in something like Final Cut where it uses 1:1 pixels (so only fits a small window - with controls around it).

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Can you discern any branding or serial numbers from the included Thunderbolt 3 cable? For example numbers on the cable like in the image below? I know the USB-C cable with my UltraFine 4K had a barcode on the packet. Posting any info you have would be a great help in tracking down the source of these totally unique cables.

Image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/T...sbg1rrfCa2c2YU4f91HuilCHK9l5B0=w5760-h3600-no

Can't see anything on the ends - will have a proper look tomorrow if you like (currently reinstalling so I can't disconnect)

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Good questions. I don't have one but rather than waiting until someone can confirm I thought I'd take a stab at your first two questions because I have been researching this topic

Thanks - that's great info. Nice to see someone knowledgeable on these forums. Rarity theee days, as most threads are dominated by know nothing whiners.

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
4) additional displays: For owners of TWO of the LG 5K's, can you connect an additional display on top of the two 5K LG's to the MBP?
(the new 15" MBPtb is supposed to support SIX display lanes: 1 for MBP screen + 2 for LG 5K#1 + 2 for LG 5K#2 + 1 thus still available!). Great to know if the MBP can also handle an additional HDTV (1080p) or even better, Apple Cinema/Thunderbolt Display (1440p) or even better, a 4K display (2160p, either UHD 3840×2160 or wide-4K 4096×2160) or even better, an ultrawide display (various resolutions). It'd be truly amazing if it can ANY of these additional screen sizes!!

Thanks in advance.

I'd be interested in this as well. Dual 5K displays plus room to spare for a 4K or an Ultrawide third screen all driven by these tiny notebooks would be nuts.
That test was on my list for next week but since I can't order the LGs, I hope someone here can try it.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Hi everyone.

I have the LG 4K and have persistent sleep-wake issues with it. Others have also experienced this.

I am now thinking of returning it and getting the 5K display.

Has anyone encountered any such issues with the LG 5K?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Now I am reformatting it again but it is taking forever... and making weird noises as if it were a mechanical disk!! Wth!! At this rate they'll both be going back lol

Reformatting these things repeatedly doesn't fix anything. Also remember that anytime you do that, it will lag until spotlight finishes indexing.

Reactions: iBrooker

iAustralian

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Unfor
LG UltraFine 5K display with matte screen?
Unfortunatley, the display has reasonable glare, much like the current iMacs. Very good contrast ratio though. The Thunderbolt 3 cable is of extremely high quality. I'm away from my desk for Christmas but can check for signs of branding when I'm back. Some suspected the complexities of this cable were a possible reason for the delay of the 5K.
I switched my MacBook Pro to the native 2x 1440 resolution from the default scaled 1680 to match the scale of the LG display. The scaled modes do slightly blur the content as they draw the screen at a higher resolution and then scale it down to fit the display.
I think an aluminium refit kit for the internals of this display could sell quite well as a Kickstarter project!

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Here you go… crappy pic, but you get the idea! Although there's been a lot of negativity around the 'forehead' on this display and the cheap look compared to the Apple Thunderbolt display, I think that with the black surround it's less visually 'obtrusive' than the TB Display and lets you focus more easily on the (gorgeous) screen.

Another thing to mention - there's an Application you can download called LG Screen Manager (http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-27MD5K) which facilitates software updates for the monitor and splitting the screen (bit like split screen on an iPad). I think the screen works without it though.

View attachment 679592

Where are you lining up the 2nd one?

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Can someone plug in a 2015 or 2014 macbook pro and see how the picture looks? Does it look retina level still? It would be running in 4k mode.

methnen

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Can someone plug in a 2015 or 2014 macbook pro and see how the picture looks? Does it look retina level still? It would be running in 4k mode.

Exactly what I was trying to ask earlier but just got a non answer. Anyone with a newer machine should be able to knock the resolution down to 4K as well and let us know. Extremely curious because I need a new monitor and like the idea of future proofing by getting the 5K instead of the 4K. Also like the fact that it's got the webcam built into it too.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
These displays don't let you chose the resolution. It is either scaled or by the amount of room as is on my 4K.

So it would be guessing to adjust the more room settings... also I doubt anyone who purchased a 5K display this soon has an older mac or they wouldn't have bought it! (we only recently learnt it can be used with older macs so none of those early owners will have an old mac as they didn't know it worked!).

I myself am waiting for my 5K delivery; my only issue is do I return my 4K or sell it when the 5K arrives (that depends on when my 5K ships).

starsaffron

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
I have this exact question too. I ordered one of these to use with a 2015 13" MBP because it's future proof, has good build quality and includes a FT camera and speakers. How does using this with a 2015 MBP compare to say a Dell P2715Q? I know they would be running at the same resolution, but does the LG look worse because it's running at a lower than native resolution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.