Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluesman74

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
I've now received the Denon X1700H, so now I can get the Dolby Digital with 4K/Dolby Vision, which is good.

However I find that it no longer supports Dolby PLII, and so when watching programmes without discrete sound like Smallville (I'm watching it along with the Smallville rewatch podcast with Rosenbaum and Welling) the sound isn't as good without that processing, noticed it most with the opening credits music, and with the Podcast titles music.

When I first got the 1912, I didn't find the other possible sound processing as good as the PLII preset.

Still trying to decide between Dolby DSur, or DTS Neural X. I can't really describe how exactly the PLII is better, it just is.

The podcast music didn't sound as rich, either.

Bluesman74

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Last episode and its still broken, still have to swap soundtracks, and the amount of times the characters are in the UK which you gather from the title card, but the characters when they appear are speaking French. Also occasionally you see quite a few characters who are French, but there is one English person in the room so they're actually speaking English, and then like English character leaves the room and so they start speaking their native tongue. So you've got no chance of accurately swapping correctly between the soundtracks to get the correct voices and subtitles.

Reactions: TonyM42

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I had no problems with the dialogue, i have subtitles turned on for everything though as i have tinnitis so i don't know if that helped with any issues?

Fabulous series by the way, really enjoyed it.

Bluesman74

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
I had no problems with the dialogue, i have subtitles turned on for everything though as i have tinnitis so i don't know if that helped with any issues?
I have Tinnitus too, it's quite calm at the moment though, only hear it just before falling asleep.

I'm not a fan of subtitles for my own language. The subtitle bug is that it subtitles speech both the original audio language, and for any audio even if it matches the subtitle setting.

Reading the setup section of the LG Apple TV app, it seems to be saying that Automatic is mean to subtitle any language that isn't the same as the default audio language set by the user, in my case English.

Strangely the one time it worked (before they subsequently broke it), the subtitle language had to be set to English and then it only subtitled non English audio.

It really should be able to support both the hard of hearing (like my father) and people who are not multilingual.

I've recommended this series to a friend of mine who is a translator, so she won't have any problem with audio set to French and Subtitles to off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.