Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armyrules2

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
So after a battle with lifeproof over the bubbles on my 11 pro black fre case I decided to try and solve the problem myself. I remember years ago the otterbox defender cases had a similar problem and that was solved with baby powder. So I just took my case off, cleaned it really good with some lens wipes and tape, then I lightly dusted the inside of the screen protector with baby powder. Be sure to do this light enough so you can't see it. For me this completely got rid of the bubbles. I emailed lifeproof and told them my solution as well.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
So after a battle with lifeproof over the bubbles on my 11 pro black fre case I decided to try and solve the problem myself. I remember years ago the otterbox defender cases had a similar problem and that was solved with baby powder. So I just took my case off, cleaned it really good with some lens wipes and tape, then I lightly dusted the inside of the screen protector with baby powder. Be sure to do this light enough so you can't see it. For me this completely got rid of the bubbles. I emailed lifeproof and told them my solution as well.

Having to doctor some concoction together to compensate for their inability to make a decent case, that costs a LOT, is hardly a fix though.

Reactions: Hooterville

Armyrules2

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Having to doctor some concoction together to compensate for their inability to make a decent case, that costs a LOT, is hardly a fix though.
Agreed but it's better than having a case with bubbles under the screen. Or a case that's a color I don't want.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Agreed but it's better than having a case with bubbles under the screen. Or a case that's a color I don't want.

That fix has been around ever since they started making them, so they have pretty much never been able to make the screen to not have the problem.

icecloud

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2020
Anyone have new info on this? I am thinking of picking up the Mustard Yellow/ Atomic 16 for my Pro Max. Has anyone tried to clean the inside of the protector with dawn dish soap And hot water? I read a few reviews that have said this works but i am not sure. Did the engineers give any feedback? I am curious to see how serious of a problem this actually is. Is it a residue on the protector itself that can be cleaned off or is it the material it is made of? Without the case in front of me it is hard to tell. Thanks

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I too have been repeatedly disappointed by the Lifeproof Frē. It’s has gotten thinner but there was always an issue with the built in screen protector. I finally gave up on it. Now I just use the Rugged Case from Nomad. Since Im on Annual Upgrade program I don’t worry much about damage. Pretty careful anyway. Let Lifeproof go!

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
I had Lifeproof from the iPhone 4 to the 6 and they progressively got worse—the silent switch lever was notorious for breaking, thus breaking the waterproof sealing. I switched to Catalyst and they were perfect—the silent dial being a huge upgrade and also the charging port rubber seal was much easier to deal with.
[automerge]1579144555[/automerge]
I was wondering about the screen, will it need baby powder also?
Had catalyst for an iPhone 6 and 7. Zero issues, no bubbles. Didn’t scratch lots from my memory.

Ben Rennison

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
Perth
I’ve had 3 cases in 2 months now. The front screen has been fine for the 2,3 case
Any body else had an issue with scratching the lens cover and the camera being blurry looking for a phone case lens protection ??

Kay King

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
I get the LifeProof Fre case every year for my phone, I know it sort of defeats the purpose since the devices are fairly water proof now, but I work around a great deal of dust and other elements that I'd rather not let get on or into my device.

So we got the LifeProof Fre cases this year - for my Pro Max and my wife's 11. These are the absolute worst Fre cases they have ever released. The one nice thing is that they are thinner, and that's where the nice things end.

The cases both look like there are bubbles underneath the screen between the protector and the screen. I've had this issue with previous Fre's but it's either went away, or been easy to get rid of -- this time around it's been next to impossible. The screen looks just awful.

The new "knob" to toggle the ringer is awful -- it's difficult to turn (though I've managed to get it a little more usable after clicking it about 50 times - may have just needed to be worked in), but still not as easy as the little flip switch they used to use.

The top of the case does not close all the way, and there's a sizable and visible gap where dust, and water (defeats the purpose of the case) can still get in. If I remove the case and snap it closed with no phone in it, it seems to close all the way so clearly something (I am thinking the camera) is preventing it from snapping closed all the way at the top.

LifeProof support *sucks* and has done nothing but give me the run around. They've suggested to others using a used dryer sheet to wipe the inside of the case and the screen of the device -- not sure what this would do, and not sure if I'm even going to entertain trying it.

I went with LifeProof because OtterBox (who is the same folks anyhow) stopped making the Defender with a screen protector, and I'd have been better off using the Supcase that I got for my Pro Max then this POS Fre.

Just letting anyone who may be debating getting this overpriced piece of junk case, that LifeProof really dropped the ball on this one BIGTIME.

I also tried to post a review on their website, since I purchased the cases directly from them, and surprise surprise, they have yet to approve them, but have approved a few "positive" ones that I am sure they posted, as well as a few (amazingly) negative ones.

Pic of bubbles in screen and the gap on top (that one was a bit harder to get a clear photo of, will try to get a better one).

View attachment 875085 View attachment 875086
The same thing was happening to my phone and case. So, I googled how to fix it and seen this thread. I decided to clean the screen of my phone and the inside of my phone case with a disinfectant wipe. It worked and I have no more air bubbles.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
The best lifeproof case I had was on my 4S before otterbox got to them. I had one for my 5S and 7, and honestly they were complete ****. Rainbows, muffled mics, terrible. Cant recommend them anymore.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Has anyone been using the fre daily if so how well has it held up ? My replacement just shipped and I was told by lifeproof that the engineers corrected the oil / rainbow defect and the new case should be fine.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Has anyone been using the fre daily if so how well has it held up ? My replacement just shipped and I was told by lifeproof that the engineers corrected the oil / rainbow defect and the new case should be fine.

Been using mine daily. Some rainbow effect but not as bad as my first few cases and replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.