Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
Hi, I have a problem using a desk lamp for my Mac setup, which produces tons of glare on my Studio Display and makes my eyes strain. I always wanted to improve the aesthetics of my setup, saw some great setups on Instagram and Reddit where there are fancy and beautiful lighting, would love to know if there’re any alternatives for desk lamps or accessories to improve the ambiance of my workspace.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Get a BenQ ScreenBar Halo and call it a day. I have one on top of each of my ASDs and they produce ZERO glare.

918EF0CE-F12A-4059-8503-99FE365E34F1.jpeg

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
BenQ ScreenBar Halo
Thank you! I've heard a lot of good things about BenQ ScreenBar, but still hesitating due to the price tag. How do you like it? Is it worth the money?

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Thank you! I've heard a lot of good things about BenQ ScreenBar, but still hesitating due to the price tag. How do you like it? Is it worth the money?
I've now bought one of these for each of my monitors. I was initially skeptical, but like @enricoclaudio says, they're brilliant accessories.

You might be able to buy one from somewhere like Amazon where you could return it hassle-free if its not for you?

Maybe an LED light strip along the back edge of your desk too?

Lcarig

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
Hi, I have a problem using a desk lamp for my Mac setup, which produces tons of glare on my Studio Display and makes my eyes strain. I always wanted to improve the aesthetics of my setup, saw some great setups on Instagram and Reddit where there are fancy and beautiful lighting, would love to know if there’re any alternatives for desk lamps or accessories to improve the ambiance of my workspace.
I agree with the above. Go with BenQ screenbar halo and you won’t look back. You got a pretty good display, don’t cheap out on the light. Think of it as an investment. You can even go with other screenbar models from benq but the front and back light feature of the Halo is really great in my opinion.
4575CE3D-5922-4571-8E7C-25EF8E75E797.jpeg

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Does the BenQ Halo block any portion of the built-in webcam or does it interfere with the microphones at all?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You can save $70 by not getting the BENQ Halo model and go with the standard model ($109) The only thing you're really missing is the back light and the frivolous desk dial (which to me is silly since the screen bar is sitting right in front of you to begin with and has the same adjustments via the buttons on the bar).

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
....Or you can get the Xiaomi Mi Lightbar, which is 1/3 of the BenQ price ( I think it is about 50$), does exactly the same job and it has a wireless remote anyway. I've checked both BenQ and Xiaomi and both with the right position have good results, the Xiaomi actually has shorter surface that will cover the front of the screen and it is far far far cheaper.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Can someone who has one of these BenQ lights comment if it blocks the webcam of the ASD?
you have 3-4mm clearance on top of the ASD camera, so that's not enough for the BenQ. you can offset the lightbar right or left to avoid covering the camera, or you can go shop one of the cheaper end light bars with twin anterior feet.

See below:

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
Thanks for your sharing! Your setup looks absolutely amazing with the ambient lighting! Yeah, I think I'll go with the ScreenBar Halo, but will take a look into other models as well.

meowlema

Suspended
Jul 18, 2022
....Or you can get the Xiaomi Mi Lightbar, which is 1/3 of the BenQ price ( I think it is about 50$), does exactly the same job and it has a wireless remote anyway. I've checked both BenQ and Xiaomi and both with the right position have good results, the Xiaomi actually has shorter surface that will cover the front of the screen and it is far far far cheaper.
Xiaomi is cheaper but notice that it may be unstable on the monitor, especially on the curved and thicker back monitor. Also, my webcam cannot sit on it well, now thinking about getting a BenQ screenbar🤔

Reactions: 7hiang

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
Can someone who has one of these BenQ lights comment if it blocks the webcam of the ASD?
1658196906781.png

I did some research and found out @enricoclaudio 's reply on this one, it does block the webcam. Tbh that's not a big issue for me, I guess I'll take his approach and move it a bit off center.

Last edited:
Reactions: southerndoc

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
Or you can get the Xiaomi Mi Lightbar
I actually tried the Xiaomi Mi Light recently but sad to say it does not fit my usage scenario. I got a larger desk and it's just not bright enough to cover the whole desk space, and it still bleeds some light on the monitor which causes a slight reflection, not a huge problem but I definitely see the compromises with its lower price.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: meowlema

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Not OP but I have one and yeah - the price tag sucked at first. As soon as I took it out of the box I was nearly sold and then as soon as I hooked it up I completely forgot about the price tag. It really is worth it.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I actually tried the Xiaomi Mi Light recently but sad to say it does not fit my usage scenario. I got a larger desk and it's just not bright enough to cover the whole desk space, and it still bleeds some light on the monitor which causes a slight reflection, not a huge problem but I definitely see the compromises with its lower price.
Interesting. I’ve tested the original BenQ light bar and I thought the brigtness were about the same with the Xiaomi one, about 500 lux? I think you could have a bit more brightness with the BenQ, but it was too strenuous in front of the screen. Even with the Xiaomi I almost never turn it in full power.

The autodim of the BenQ was absolutely appealing, will flicker randomly, so I’ve returned it. I think also the light bleed was similar, generally I thought the claims of no-glare is just a marketing point for any light-bar, it is just physically impossible to achieve perfect no-glare conditions in such a short distance.

What it can help to reduce glare if the desk in front of the screen covered with a non-reflective desk mat.

Tbh, I’ve used some hue lights in the back of the screen that would give some bias lighting for avoiding use the light bar as much as I can. The BenQ halo thought looks very interesting…

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
Interesting. I’ve tested the original BenQ light bar and I thought the brigtness were about the same with the Xiaomi one, about 500 lux? I think you could have a bit more brightness with the BenQ, but it was too strenuous in front of the screen. Even with the Xiaomi I almost never turn it in full power.

The autodim of the BenQ was absolutely appealing, will flicker randomly, so I’ve returned it. I think also the light bleed was similar, generally I thought the claims of no-glare is just a marketing point for any light-bar, it is just physically impossible to achieve perfect no-glare conditions in such a short distance.

What it can help to reduce glare if the desk in front of the screen covered with a non-reflective desk mat.

Tbh, I’ve used some hue lights in the back of the screen that would give some bias lighting for avoiding use the light bar as much as I can. The BenQ halo thought looks very interesting…
Actually the Xiaomi light bar could only get up to 270 lux, I agree with you though that the light may put pressure on my eyes if it's too bright. I think it depends on the lighting situation of the room, my screen is facing directly to the window, so sometimes I need brighter illuminance to compensate for the backlighting of the sun. It just feels better to have the option to adjust the brightness in a wider range.

I think there's a huge difference between the two on preventing screen glare, BenQ uses a reflector that alters the light path to achieve asymmetrical lighting (claimed on their website) while Xiaomi is just using a layer to keep the light from spreading. You can see the difference from the photo below:
截圖 2022-07-27 下午4.06.24.jpg

Last edited:

sdsetups

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2022
I use the BenQ halo bar on my setup here and I find it to be probably the best quality bar on the market. Good build quality and feels sturdy and has nice lighting adjustment settings. Its price is higher, but worth it IMO.

295974831_789548449079025_470980071187124629_n.jpeg

trexsetup

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
Hi guys!

I also would like to share my experience using the BenQ ScreenBar Halo.
I have a 140cm desk and I have to say that the light fills pretty much the entire area of my desk. The light is handy, especially during my night photo editing sessions. I also really like the rear lamp! It brings comfort to my eyes after long hours of editing or playing some games in my free time.

They provide an adapter in case you own a curved monitor.

I understand the concern of some of us in relation to the price, but what I have to say is that I could see the quality of the product starting with the unboxing. The product feels really premium and it works really well for my needs.
The decision is yours to make ;)

Have a good one you all!

IMG_2182.JPG

Reactions: colodane and 7hiang

7hiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2022
I have a 140cm desk and I have to say that the light fills pretty much the entire area of my desk. The light is handy, especially during my night photo editing sessions. I also really like the rear lamp! It brings comfort to my eyes after long hours of editing or playing some games in my free time.
Thank you so much, your setup looks amazing! This is very helpful, I have a similar desk situation and I think Screenbar Halo would be the perfect solution.

conorbutkovic

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2022
Hey! I just thought I would share a desk accessory I've been loving lately!

The BenQ ScreenBar Halo has been fantastic when working at night and the updated wireless controller is so convenient and helps a ton not having to cable manage

What do you guys think of the BenQ ScreenBar Halo?

Attachments

• IMG_9637.jpeg
    IMG_9637.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9585.jpeg
    IMG_9585.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_9597.jpeg
    IMG_9597.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9642.jpeg
    IMG_9642.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_9648.jpeg
    IMG_9648.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 243

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The BenQ ScreenBars are well-designed products with a very high quality feel to them. I'm using the "Plus" version without the backlight or the wireless remote. The wired remote is very nice and fits into my layout without any issues. The ScreenBar is a perfect fit on a 27 inch iMac and does not block the camera. I am very happy with it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hey! I just thought I would share a desk accessory I've been loving lately!

The BenQ ScreenBar Halo has been fantastic when working at night and the updated wireless controller is so convenient and helps a ton not having to cable manage

What do you guys think of the BenQ ScreenBar Halo?
Nice.

What's the keyboard and caps, by the way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.