Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtcvvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Does anyone else's link bracelet make a squeaking sound when you open and close the butterfly clasp? Wondering if this is normal or should I return it.

boyWRuN.jpg

PedCrossing

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
The Loop
I'm like this when I finished reading your post.

facepalm.jpg

Come on, it's a metal moving part, I'm sure you've heard door hinges squeak. If you really, really mind the sound, try some WD-40, but this is totally unnecessary IMO.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia

Come on, it's a metal moving part, I'm sure you've heard door hinges squeak. If you really, really mind the sound, try some WD-40, but this is totally unnecessary IMO.

But it's a $679 band (in Australia at least). For that price, I would expect it to be perfect. Also, I've never heard a new door hinge squeak. After a few years that's to be expected, but definitely not right away.

Personally, I would try something like WD-40 first but if that doesn't fix it, I would take it back to Apple.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009

Agreed.

Just put some oil, lube, dry film lube, etc., and be done with it.

To actually go to an Apple Store, and have someone look at it, and them replacing it assuming you can get them to do it is a complete waste of time and resources for everyone involved for something that can be solved with a drop of basic lubricant.

And it's not like it's defective. Metal watch bracelets can squeak, especially if new since they can be very tight. Either oil it up or let it wear in naturally.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
To actually go to an Apple Store, and have someone look at it, and them replacing it assuming you can get them to do it is a complete waste of time and resources for everyone involved for something that can be solved with a drop of basic lubricant.

That's a good idea. If they see any number of these complaints, they're likely to come up with some suggestion for a safe lubricant. It seems like a lot for that band, but I haven't seen one up close. Considering the price they were right to make bands interchangeable. That way a costly band can be moved to a new watch later on (at least for a while).

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
But it's a $679 band (in Australia at least). For that price, I would expect it to be perfect. Also, I've never heard a new door hinge squeak. After a few years that's to be expected, but definitely not right away.

Personally, I would try something like WD-40 first but if that doesn't fix it, I would take it back to Apple.

Mate, this is normal for a link bracelet, if it bothers you try dry-lube instead of WD-40. $679 is priced right, bracelets that cost 5 x more can squeak as well.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But it's a $679 band (in Australia at least). For that price, I would expect it to be perfect.

In the watch world where link bracelets from high end luxury watch manufacturers cost many times more than Apple's Link Bracelet and where a polish service from one of those manufacturers can cost as much as an Apple SS Watch, that's like saying but it's a $10,000 car and you expect it to be perfect.

I've never noticed squeaking sound in my link bracelet, but then again, I'm not that anal retentive enough to notice it especially while quickly putting it on.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
In the watch world where link bracelets from high end luxury watch manufacturers cost many times more than Apple's Link Bracelet and where a polish service from one of those manufacturers can cost as much as an Apple SS Watch, that's like saying but it's a $10,000 car and you expect it to be perfect.

But those link bracelets from high end luxury watch manufacturers that cost many times more than Apple's link bracelet are handmade and checked enstensively before being attached to a watch. Also, I wouldn't expect a brand new car to squeak everytime I opened the door either, regardless of what it cost.

Although, I may haveworded it incorrectly. I just think that for the premium price that the OP paid for it (note: premium, not most expensive bracelet in the world), there's nothing wrong with getting it replaced for one that is perfect.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
My Stainless Steel Link bracelet squeaks as well.

It's perfectly normal. The stainless steel link bracelet on my Tag Heuer squeaks as well.

Still if you are not happy with it, return it, but I would think that your replacement bracelet will squeak as well.

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
But those link bracelets from high end luxury watch manufacturers that cost many times more than Apple's link bracelet are handmade and checked enstensively before being attached to a watch. Also, I wouldn't expect a brand new car to squeak everytime I opened the door either, regardless of what it cost.

Although, I may haveworded it incorrectly. I just think that for the premium price that the OP paid for it (note: premium, not most expensive bracelet in the world), there's nothing wrong with getting it replaced for one that is perfect.

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about. I own many high-end watches all with bracelets far superior to the Apple link bracelet, and many of them squeaked when brand new. It's steel rubbing on steel.

The sense of entitlement from some segments of the Apple customer base is really insufferable at times.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
You really don't have a clue what you're talking about. I own many high-end watches all with bracelets far superior to the Apple link bracelet, and many of them squeaked when brand new. It's steel rubbing on steel.

The sense of entitlement from some segments of the Apple customer base is really insufferable at times.

Personally, I've never experienced that but you may be right.

I may have not conveyed this effectively, but I was just trying to say that if it is annoying the OP, he can either attempt to fix it or get it replaced. My post was a response to the second post which said that recognising the issue is unnecessary.

Also, IMO, getting something replaced because you are not 100% satisfied with it is not showing a sense of entitlement.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

DO NOT USE WD-40!

WD-40 contains mineral spirits which can do who knows what to the finish on that link band and then Apple will never take it back. I mainly use it as a solvent, and rarely use it to lubricate. i'd take it to a jeweler and get something recommended for the purpose.

Last edited:

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
But those link bracelets from high end luxury watch manufacturers that cost many times more than Apple's link bracelet are handmade and checked enstensively before being attached to a watch.

Yes, bracelets for "high end luxury" watches can squeak.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rolexforums.com+squeak&oq=rolexforums.com+squeak

Metal and metal rubbing against each other can have that effect. Either let it break in or put a drop of oil on the parts.

----------

Like I had said on many occasions, just wait until Apple makes a car. People will be complaining that their cars scratch easily, that they have to change oil on the car too often, the tires wear out, and will be buying windshield covers and car wraps.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
DO NOT USE WD-40!

WD-40 contains mineral spirits which can do who knows what to the finish on that link band and then Apple will never take it back. I mainly use it as a solvent, and rarely use it to lubricate. i'd take it to a jeweler and get something recommended for the purpose.

How about 3-in-1 oil?

I wouldn't use WD-40 for this purpose anyway - that stuff just sprays everywhere ;)

PedCrossing

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
The Loop
DO NOT USE WD-40!

Gee, I'm not suggesting to spray that thing all over the band. If I had to do this, I would spray onto a Q-tip and apply it carefully. Still, I wouldn't put any lube on a watch band.

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
No squeak here with my Link bracelet :rolleyes: God it's crazy how some people here complain about such things..

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
None of my inexpensive link bracelets squeak.

But then, they're likely built to looser tolerances.

I'd go with those who say to let it wear in. No lubricant, because that'll just attract dirt.

Yeap any lubricant will bring gunk, if I have the "problem" when mine comes IL just let it break in.

mav

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Keep wearing it and it will eventually go away. If it really annoys you, I would suggest try using mild soap and warm water on it, of course removing it from the Watch itself first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.