Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamaydo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
I've had an ongoing issue with macOS Messages app that I can't seem to figure out and hoping someone can help in some way. I currently have a 13" M1 MacBook Pro 16 GB RAM running macOS 11.5.1 however the issues with Messages began in Catalina—if I recall correctly—with a 2019 16" MacBook Pro. When the search bar is selected in Messages, the Links category doesn't appear, but I have a lot of links from many conversations. Photos, Locations, and Documents appear with content for that category. Searching for a link does not yield any results while the same search does work on iPhone. Even the info tab in conversations doesn't have a Links category.

Although on my iPhone Links appear, if I scroll through the list of links there are profile photos visible, like they're placeholders but the links don't have previews. However, clicking on the empty box with only a profile photo takes me to the location of the link in the conversation. Links before and after this mysterious lot of time appear and work normally.

On my MacBook Pro, the "more results will be shown once messages is done indexing" randomly appears every fews days, stays for a couple of days then goes away, and the cycle repeats itself after a few days but the indexing doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm not missing any recent items, except for all links.

I am logged into iCloud with Messages in iCloud enabled. I've tried signing in and out of iCloud on the MacBook and iPhone. I've tried to disable Messages in iCloud, let it download all messages then enabled it. I've factory reset my MacBook 2-3 times, and I've restored my iPhone via Finder. Nothing has worked. I'm out of ideas and Apple Support have dragged this out for months being on my 4th Senior Adviser and all that has happened in the case is I've collected logs many many times for the engineers.

I'm hoping someone on here has a resolution or ideas or steps to try, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.