Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Ubuntu, default install. To make it similar to Mac:

- Change dock from the left side to the bottom.
- Add a shortcut for F3 to "show the overview". You'll see all windows like on a Mac.

F3 also works beautifully as it's both mission control + spotlight (you see all the windows but also you can type the name of an app to open it).

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016

- Add a shortcut for F3 to "show the overview". You'll see all windows like on a Mac.

F3 also works beautifully as it's both mission control + spotlight (you see all the windows but also you can type the name of an app to open it).
A lot of the Linux distros are doing similar stuff. Zorin OS can do the same and has more customizable options if you upgrade to Zorin Pro. Manjaro also does similar stuff like Ubuntu.

I've gone with Ubuntu because it is a LTR, even longer than Zorin and it tends to be more stable than other distros.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020

Install the Mate Desktop (use 'tasksel', then select "Mate Desktop Environment" from 'synaptic'. You will find it much snappier than the default Gnome desktop. Then move the bottom panel to the left and run 'Plank'.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022

Ubuntu Mate. To make it similar to Mac: Tweak, Cupertino. Enjoy the single menu !
And pardon me the offense: to make it similar to Windows: Tweak, guess what? Redmont, of course.
That's what makes Linux great.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
That's what makes Linux great.
I m sorry but Linux is NOT great.

I tried to switch to linux. The OS itself is fine but the DE is just horrendous.

I could not find any audio app similar to what apple music provides. I tested like 10 audio apps. None of them consistent in UI or features. many just did not have basic features.

I finally got fed up and back to macOS.

Linux could have been a great alternative had there been consistent UI across apps and the required features.

Linux as OS is great but the Apps are just horrible and this is the reason why linux will never capture the desktop market share.

Linux is the best OS for server, but not for desktop. simply due to apps.

Sure you can tweak linux to your liking. But what is the point if there are no apps that can do the job for you.

and many many apps that run on windows/macOS aren't still available for linux in 2024. I m talking most commonly and popularly used apps.

Sorry for the rant. but i had to take this off my chest.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I m sorry but Linux is NOT great.

I tried to switch to linux. The OS itself is fine but the DE is just horrendous.

I could not find any audio app similar to what apple music provides. I tested like 10 audio apps. None of them consistent in UI or features. many just did not have basic features.

I finally got fed up and back to macOS.

Linux could have been a great alternative had there been consistent UI across apps and the required features.

Linux as OS is great but the Apps are just horrible and this is the reason why linux will never capture the desktop market share.

Linux is the best OS for server, but not for desktop. simply due to apps.

Sure you can tweak linux to your liking. But what is the point if there are no apps that can do the job for you.

and many many apps that run on windows/macOS aren't still available for linux in 2024. I m talking most commonly and popularly used apps.

Sorry for the rant. but i had to take this off my chest.

Which distro of Linux (there are over 200 easily obtainable) and which DE (there are several common ones)?

The most common distros are Ubuntu Desktop (Gnome DE), Ubuntu Mate (Mate DE), Ubuntu Budgie (Budgie DE, Linux Mint Cinnamon (Cinnamon DE), Linux Mint Mate (Mate DE)*. Plus a whole heap of others, including Fedora, Manjaro, etc, etc, etc.

As well, with most of these it is easy to add different DEs if you don't like the current one. For example, it is easy to add the Cinnamon or Mate DEs to Ubuntu Desktop if you don't like Gnome DE.

I will leave it to others to comment on Music, Photo and Movie apps.

I generally find that, performing the same task using the same software (TeXLive or LibreOffice, for example) is some 10% to 20% faster on the same hardware under Linux than under MacOS, and some 100% faster than Windows.

* Yes, I know others will have their own favourites. These are the ones that I am familiar with, and that I can make look and work similar to MacOS and/or Windows.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
Which distro of Linux (there are over 200 easily obtainable) and which DE (there are several common ones)?

The most common distros are Ubuntu Desktop (Gnome DE), Ubuntu Mate (Mate DE), Ubuntu Budgie (Budgie DE, Linux Mint Cinnamon (Cinnamon DE), Linux Mint Mate (Mate DE)*. Plus a whole heap of others, including Fedora, Manjaro, etc, etc, etc.

As well, with most of these it is easy to add different DEs if you don't like the current one. For example, it is easy to add the Cinnamon or Mate DEs to Ubuntu Desktop if you don't like Gnome DE.

I will leave it to others to comment on Music, Photo and Movie apps.

I generally find that, performing the same task using the same software (TeXLive or LibreOffice, for example) is some 10% to 20% faster on the same hardware under Linux than under MacOS, and some 100% faster than Windows.

* Yes, I know others will have their own favourites. These are the ones that I am familiar with, and that I can make look and work similar to MacOS and/or Windows.
I m not talking about the distros or DEs. They have done a fine job.

I m talking about the apps, be it music/photo. They are complete ****. almost 90% of the apps are total and complete ****. The behaviour and UI is completely inconsistent.

I agree apps under linux run faster. I was really impressed with that and that was one of the reasons i wanted to shift to linux.

I wish there was some central authority to keep the apps behavious /UI consistent like they do with DEs and linux kernel.

Its the apps that have failed the linux OS adoption.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Not for me. It the only music app that provides all the features i need.

Till today i could not find a replacement for it.
Sure, you never would find elsewhere any other music app that locks you in Apple ecosystem, aggressively promotes their subscriptions and prevents you to retrieve Music from your phone. That is unique to Apple.
On Linux, you just get excellent music apps that work beautifully on your own music.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
Sure, you never would find elsewhere any other music app that locks you in Apple ecosystem, aggressively promotes their subscriptions and prevents you to retrieve Music from your phone. That is unique to Apple.
I do not have subscription to apple music. I have spotify for finding new music.

Apple music is for my mp3s.

Also do not use it on my iphone. I use spotify on my iphone.

On linux, none of the music apps i tried came close to what apple music offers.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
I wanted the start/stop feature in a music app. This is quite straight forward and easy on apple music.

On linux i tried like 10 top music apps in the fedora app store. I do not remember or know the names of the apps. but none of them had the start/stop feature.

If you feel i m ranting i will gladly leave this topic. Guess this is wrong forum for ranting.

I feel like this forum has become hostile lately.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
1709706622015.png

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
It took me 5 minutes of browsing to find and decide to try Strawberry.
I installed it from my repository (Ubuntu Budgie/Cinnamon DE on Raspberry Pi 5).
It then took me 3 minutes to connect to my home file server and import my collection of Cream (yes, I am contemporary with Cream...).
They work properly (sadly coming out of a $20 bluetooth speaker).
It imported the albums, found the playlists and album artwork, all within a few minutes.
It also has a couple of Internet Radio playlists, and it isn't a difficult matter to add others (which i copied/pasted from Shortwave).
It will also import FLAC, which Apple Music won't do.
And it has Stop/Start buttons, as well as the spacebar to stop/start.

1709707620217.png

And, it even will get lyrics, which I don't think that Apple Music does.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Oh you have found something essential that probably 99,9% of Apple users never have discovered, me included.

• Haha
Reactions: bousozoku

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
It took me 5 minutes of browsing to find and decide to try Strawberry.
It will also import FLAC, which Apple Music won't do.
And, it even will get lyrics, which I don't think that Apple Music does.
It is not the only excellent media player on Linux, which has always had the very best media players, far ahead of of the defaults from Windows/macOS. They always strive to play anything, not only the inhouse formats of Redmond and Cupertino. The open source devs are creative and build up on each other.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
this is not what i m looking for?. I have posted a big screenshot of what i m looking for in the music app.

Please find it in few minutes and show. I m waiting eagerly.

What music application are you using? Perhaps we can then install it and see what we can find.
Or, you could try the afore-mentioned Strawberry.

garibaldo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Porto Alegre, Brazil
You said it. Not for you, but for others it (Linux) IS great.
I think Lollypop is the best offline Linux music player... Great audio quality, 10 band equalizer, plays any file format.... I'ḿ using it in Mint, now... I hear jazz, the most, on bluetooth 5 headphones, or a 2.1 stereo..... FLAC is kind a Log Raw footage, you need a equalizer to contrast the tones! ; - D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.