Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Hope none of you's installing any Google app on that neatly private linux OS :rolleyes:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Here is a look at what you can have with KDE:

Woah!

I was looking for this exact thing, something that makes Linux operate like MacOS. It has global menu and everything, how did he get that Apple menu in there? I thought the KDE start menu will always have that Windows option that lists apps by category if you know what I mean.

I tried KDE once and I didn't give it much chance because its like 20+ years project and after all the time when I hit the start menu I literally had to wait for the windows to switch/interact as I move my mouse cursor from one category to the other, something that Win3.x could do very fast.

Now if it only had a script or option to auto do this instead of spending 30min setting it up. The other problem with linux is that since its all made out of pieces put together any update by any one app here or there could break up the workflow. Some one should maintain an Ubuntu based distro that integrates and builds on this KDE look, I am willing to pay for this.

I also came to a realisation that Linux will never be a viable desktop replacement for the masses. No one will use Linux without standardization. When someone says I know how to use Linux and then goes to work and finds the GUI looks like AmigaOS and when he goes to college he finds it looks like Windows10 and when he uses the PC in the hotel's business center and he finds it looking like the console panel of Jurrasic Park its just not going to work. People want a standardization like Win10, the start button is always bottom left, the task bar, ctrl+W will always close the window, and the C: always means the OS drive.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Woah!

I was looking for this exact thing, something that makes Linux operate like MacOS. It has global menu and everything, how did he get that Apple menu in there? I thought the KDE start menu will always have that Windows option that lists apps by category if you know what I mean.

I tried KDE once and I didn't give it much chance because its like 20+ years project and after all the time when I hit the start menu I literally had to wait for the windows to switch/interact as I move my mouse cursor from one category to the other, something that Win3.x could do very fast.

Now if it only had a script or option to auto do this instead of spending 30min setting it up. The other problem with linux is that since its all made out of pieces put together any update by any one app here or there could break up the workflow. Some one should maintain an Ubuntu based distro that integrates and builds on this KDE look, I am willing to pay for this.

I also came to a realisation that Linux will never be a viable desktop replacement for the masses. No one will use Linux without standardization. When someone says I know how to use Linux and then goes to work and finds the GUI looks like AmigaOS and when he goes to college he finds it looks like Windows10 and when he uses the PC in the hotel's business center and he finds it looking like the console panel of Jurrasic Park its just not going to work. People want a standardization like Win10, the start button is always bottom left, the task bar, ctrl+W will always close the window, and the C: always means the OS drive.
Actually, it is pretty easy to get a lot of this just by selecting the right theme, and there are many available for download. In addition, if you couple it with Ubuntu Studio apps, everything fits together perfectly and you don't have to rely on patchwork apps that may or may not merge well. The Studio applications are all first rate, and they cover all categories, productivity, sound and music, video, graphic arts, and photography. But I will agree that Linux is not for casual or non-dedicated users.

Reactions: millerj123

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Woah!

Wait, didn't you just explain how it's easy to get a distro that behaves exactly like MacOS, but now none of them meet your standards?

I believe you keep asking this, and it doesn't matter what the actual answer is, you have decided how the world works and let us all know about it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I will agree that Linux is not for casual or non-dedicated users.

Thats the sad part because I would envisioned a significant user base of linux users vs Microsoft and MacOS, not necessarly majority but a significant share...like 20%

Fedora.

Just about everything else is a spin of Debian.

Arch is indepedent
Gentoo is independent
Slackware is independent
Solus as mentioned is independent as it seems
Suse: Not sure

Most others are indeed a spin of Debian, but idk why they keep using Debian.

Wait, didn't you just explain how it's easy to get a distro that behaves exactly like MacOS, but now none of them meet your standards?

I believe you keep asking this, and it doesn't matter what the actual answer is, you have decided how the world works and let us all know about it.

idk what you are trying to say? I mentioned the video shared by Mendota has created Linux to act like MacOS but because its made of different parts put together that will not be as polished and smooth if it was one solid Desktop Environment-like Window10 or MacOS or iOS. I am willing to pay to get something like that that is integrated and maintained to work together.

idk where you are confused by what I am saying?!

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Thats the sad part because I would envisioned a significant user base of linux users vs Microsoft and MacOS, not necessarly majority but a significant share...like 20%

Arch is indepedent
Gentoo is independent
Slackware is independent
Solus as mentioned is independent as it seems
Suse: Not sure

Most others are indeed a spin of Debian, but idk why they keep using Debian.

idk what you are trying to say? I mentioned the video shared by Mendota has created Linux to act like MacOS but because its made of different parts put together that will not be as polished and smooth if it was one solid Desktop Environment-like Window10 or MacOS or iOS. I am willing to pay to get something like that that is integrated and maintained to work together.

idk where you are confused by what I am saying?!
Yeah, good luck with your search!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Woah!

Check the following Distros:
1. POP! OS (https://pop.system76.com/)
2. Zorin https://zorin.com/os/
The Zorin offers Pro version at $39, prebundled with apps and you can select a UI which is similar to Mac OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBH928

iFan86

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2020
I have been testing out different distros for the past couple months now. After testing several, initially I went with Fedora but then discovered Pop OS. Pop OS is awesome. It will definitely have a Mac feel to it. I'm really considering a System76 laptop for my next purchase. Like the previous poster said, Zorin was also a good alternative. I just happed to like Pop more.

Reactions: Mendota

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Do you mean a Linux distribution that can be installed on an iPad?
Nope
one that can interact with my ipad, i guess windows 10 does a better job than big siur and Catalina did
why cant an umbuntu?
there are programs out there.

thanks for the reply,

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Nope
one that can interact with my ipad, i guess windows 10 does a better job than big siur and Catalina did
why cant an umbuntu?
there are programs out there.

thanks for the reply,

What do you mean with "Interact"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendota and CANXOR

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Well, I installed Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce Edition on a MacBook4,1 without any issues but was not very happy with the overal performance. The only available Airport driver was installed and WiFi connected without any issues but the internet was still not working. Trackpad was working but the pointer is annoyingly very shaky. Luckily I had a crossover CAT5 cable which I connected to my iMac and enabled internet sharing in order to "simulate" a wired internet connection. Skype installed but microphone and camera was not working. I downloaded all the available updates but it did not fix any issues that I was having.
I was too lazy to dig for the answers on the forums and reclaimed all the hard drive disk space back to the Mountain Lion partition. I had to delete BOOT and ubuntu folders from the EFI partition in order to get rid of the GNU grub 2.04 bootloader.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
Try Manjaro. It's a lot more up to date and better at auto-detecting hardware.

Post-installation you can also enable the AUR (https://itsfoss.com/aur-arch-linux/) which lets you do 1-click installation of Wifi drivers etc. Just find out the model number of your wifi/bt chip and then google e.g. "RTLxxxx driver AUR" to find the right package.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Have tried Ubuntu, Pop_OS!, elementaryOS and Fedora over the years on Macs; all have their pros and cons, but honestly the most all round decent experience I have is with Fedora. Especially if you're installing onto a Mac; just picks everything up, installs boot helpers to the EFI, works as you'd expect.
What exactly did you mean with boot helpers to the EFI? did you get the disk inside the startup disk under system preferences or something like that?

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Well, I installed Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce Edition on a MacBook4,1 without any issues but was not very happy with the overal performance. The only available Airport driver was installed and WiFi connected without any issues but the internet was still not working. Trackpad was working but the pointer is annoyingly very shaky. Luckily I had a crossover CAT5 cable which I connected to my iMac and enabled internet sharing in order to "simulate" a wired internet connection. Skype installed but microphone and camera was not working. I downloaded all the available updates but it did not fix any issues that I was having.
I was too lazy to dig for the answers on the forums and reclaimed all the hard drive disk space back to the Mountain Lion partition. I had to delete BOOT and ubuntu folders from the EFI partition in order to get rid of the GNU grub 2.04 bootloader.

I've had similar issues on my MacBook 4,1 as well; it seems like none of the ISOs I've downloaded (not just for Linux Mint, but for Lubuntu as well) come with the non-free drivers necessary for the Airport card on my machine (a Broadcom card) to work properly. The only exception was Ubuntu (I installed 20.04 LTS).

Problematic trackpad issues can be resolved by installing the Synaptics driver (sudo apt-get install -y xserver-xorg-input-synaptics) and the iSight camera needs fiddling around with iSight Firmware Tools (apt-get install isight-firmware-tools), which may or may not require manual extraction (sudo ift-extract -a).

After these steps, for the most part I've gotten Linux to work quite well on my 4,1. The only issue so far seems to be kernel updates breaking sleep. Sigh.

Reactions: avz

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I've had similar issues on my MacBook 4,1 as well; it seems like none of the ISOs I've downloaded (not just for Linux Mint, but for Lubuntu as well) come with the non-free drivers necessary for the Airport card on my machine (a Broadcom card) to work properly. The only exception was Ubuntu (I installed 20.04 LTS).

Problematic trackpad issues can be resolved by installing the Synaptics driver (sudo apt-get install -y xserver-xorg-input-synaptics) and the iSight camera needs fiddling around with iSight Firmware Tools (apt-get install isight-firmware-tools), which may or may not require manual extraction (sudo ift-extract -a).

After these steps, for the most part I've gotten Linux to work quite well on my 4,1. The only issue so far seems to be kernel updates breaking sleep. Sigh.
Yes, I knew that there were workarounds but could not be bothered enough to do it. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with Bootcamp just for the Skype. Then again watching 480p video on YouTube in Windows 7 causing the fan go nuts while Mountain Lion can do it without sending temperatures soaring.
You just can’t ignore superior optimisation of Mac OS, no matter how you look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.