Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Just a little correction to my report, the MSAA performance decrease happened in 10.3.2, not 10.3.3 (which was just as bad). The first number I posted was measured on 10.3.1.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Ok I must be mistaken -- that sounds right for iMac-R580 @ 8xAA with the fix in place.
As a comparison, the performance drop due to MSAA 8X on DiRT is -49% on Windows vs -51.5% on the Mac. Almost even, but not quite. :)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I downloaded World of Warcraft on a whim the other day and it's ridiculous how well the game runs on my entry level 2016 Macbook Pro with its integrated GPU.

Admittedly I know it's an over 10-year old game at this point, but still, I wasn't expecting to crank practically every slider over as far as possible and for the framerate to hold solid.

Makes me really wish Valve would put in the effort to get all of their Source-powered games working with Metal. I really want to replay Portal 2 and I frankly miss Team Fortress 2 but both games run like poo poo on OS X.

Reactions: ErikGrim

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Makes me really wish Valve would put in the effort to get all of their Source-powered games working with Metal. I really want to replay Portal 2 and I frankly miss Team Fortress 2 but both games run like poo poo on OS X.
They shouldn't, unless you push the resolution really high.
Dota 2 will soon use Metal via some sort of translation layer, but I don't think the older games will be ported.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Portal 2 ran extremely well on my old Mac Pro with a Radeon 5870. I assume TF2 did too, but I only played with it long enough to determine that it wasn't my thing. The Left4Dead games were well over 60fps as well.

Anyway I suspect the upcoming Battletech uses Metal, given that the system requirements are 10.13.3.

--Eric

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I updated the list with RotTR, the upcoming dota2 update (though it will use a translation layer) and Battletech, which most certainly uses Metal although we don't have a confirmation. Can unity 5 be used on the Mac without Metal?
This game has pretty high system requirements on the Mac, especially for the CPU, so it doesn't seem that Metal really helps for this particular title.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I did see that a couple people were apparently playing Battletech using 10.10 (with some glitches), so it clearly doesn't require Metal. However the default API publishing option for Unity is "auto", which on the Mac uses Metal when it can and OpenGL otherwise.

--Eric

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I recently installed World of Warcraft onto my Mac that has an Intel HD 4000 integrated chip. It shares vRAM with the system so it sits at 1.5GB with 8GB system memory installed.

I ran on low, old character models (less detail), etc - but 60 framerates solid with no budging - in both open areas and enclosed group environments. I realize it was on low settings (and I do only have a HD monitor), but I was impressed with Metal. I remember loading WoW onto the same system years prior under a different API and it averaged 35-40 FPS in windowed mode with rapid fluctuation.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just an FYI on Battletech, apparently it was brigaded by people who didn't appreciate a third gender offering. Apparently they made up fake bugs or glitches to make their bad review more legitimate.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Just an FYI on Battletech, apparently it was brigaded by people who didn't appreciate a third gender offering. Apparently they made up fake bugs or glitches to make their bad review more legitimate.
Sounds like a conspiracy theory. I'm not sure how that's even possible. If you don't want a macOS release, then don't release it. o_O

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Ok, I wasn't sure what you meant by "third gender offering". But the game seems to have performance issues nonetheless.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ok, I wasn't sure what you meant by "third gender offering". But the game seems to have performance issues nonetheless.
Can't speak for that myself, but a buddy of mine on another site bought it. His rig (Windows) isn't that great and he's at 100 hours between him and his son. Though when you look at the negative reviews, some of them are questionable. They've got 90-300 hours on the game yet complain about constant crashed and glitches. Would you play that much in that case?

Now if we're talking strictly Mac, then it's a given. If Apple and vendors could get more serious about gaming on the Mac, it would put a smile onto many a Mac owner's face. I know many who built their own Windows rig because they got tired of the issues Macs faced between updates.

Battletech is on the backburner for me because I bought Planet Coaster and the DLCs. I was a huge fan of the old Frontier games and it brings back great memories. Battletech reminds me of an FPS mech-robot game I remember owning in the mid 90s but it wasn't part of the series.

Edit: I believe it was Heavy Gear 2.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Now if we're talking strictly Mac, then it's a given. If Apple and vendors could get more serious about gaming on the Mac, it would put a smile onto many a Mac owner's face. I know many who built their own Windows rig because they got tired of the issues Macs faced between updates.
I think that Metal 2 offers everything that's needed for a game like BattleTech, which isn't the most graphically intensive.
And I also think that the Unity Engine runs properly on Metal. BTW, one big supporter of Metal is a Unity developer (Aras Pranckevičius)
If that particular title runs poorly (though I haven't tested myself), it would certainly be due to the game developers who didn't use the engine properly. It's possible to use a perfectly good game engine and build a poorly performing game. See Batman: Arkham Knight, which uses the Unreal Engine 3 and was trashed in initial reviews due to poor performance on Windows.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided works quite well (spec as per my signature).

3840x1080 max setting (except V-sync OFF), average over 50FPS, and minimum above 30FPS. Even though cannot stay above 60FPS, but I personally is OK for that. And I prefer better graphics as long as smooth enough.
Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 00.49.27.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 01.08.34.jpg

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Anyone compared the performance to bootcamp? I'm curious if it runs better than Attila on Mac.
I can tell you without actually checking that it will. Anything runs better than TW: Attila on Mac. That port (by Creative Assembly themselves) was utter shyte.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Phoronix tested dota 2 running on the Metal drivers via moltenVK. Performance is quite a bit better than with openGL, unsurprisingly, and not far behind the native vulkan versions running on Windows or Linux, at least when a "normal" screen resolution is used.
Not bad, considering that it's a beta version using a translation layer that probably can't take full advantage of Metal.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=dota2-mac-vulkan&num=2

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I don't know if someone has noticed that, but during the WWDC sessions, it was mentioned repeatedly that the Lumberyard engine (i.e. Amazon's fork of the CryEngine) supports Metal on the Mac. The Lumberyard website mentions "support for MacOS [sic] is coming soon".

Last edited:

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
I can tell you without actually checking that it will. Anything runs better than TW: Attila on Mac. That port (by Creative Assembly themselves) was utter shyte.

Thue but still curious to see how it stand compared to Directx 12 since it's one of the latest game.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Mmmh. It seems WarThunder won't launch in Metal mode. It's only OpenGL. Anyone else having this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.