Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
The fact that they released sur a shoddy update shows they no longer care about the Mac, so they should not be taken seriously.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The fact that they released sur a shoddy update shows they no longer care about the Mac, so they should not be taken seriously.

I don't know if I'd jump to that conclusion just yet. Metal is still a baby API. If Epic, developing Mac Fortnite, can grow from a buggy mess that literally would not let me join a game, and when it did I would get a frame-rate of seconds-per-frame, to the enjoyable game that it is now, then maybe we can cut the developers of ESO and the MoltenVK team a bit of slack.

Just an idea...

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I don't think Fortnite was unplayable for every Mac user, and they didn't release an update that broke the game, did they?

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I think they care. They are trying to fix the problem. The issue is putting faith in a wrapper for an api that the platform doesn’t support is probably going to end up costing more in the long term in both performance and time/money.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Assuming they don't plan on abandoning DirectX on Windows, it's confusing as to why they'd go the Vulkan/MoltenVK route at all on Mac as opposed to just learning Metal.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't think Fortnite was unplayable for every Mac user, and they didn't release an update that broke the game, did they?

As always, your mileage may vary. :)

I have been playing Fortnite since last Christmas, which is whatever version of Fortnite was out then. It has only gotten better since then.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Assuming they don't plan on abandoning DirectX on Windows, it's confusing as to why they'd go the Vulkan/MoltenVK route at all on Mac as opposed to just learning Metal.
Yeah, why did they choose Vulkan, are they planing a linux port? Vulkan is very difficult to use, from everything I hear.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah, why did they choose Vulkan, are they planing a linux port? Vulkan is very difficult to use, from everything I hear.

The Vulkan backend will eventually end up on Windows according to the developer.

They also have no dedicated Mac team/guy anymore. And no one that knew metal. So they went with Vulkan because they already knew it.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Maybe Apple should make Metal open. They did open-source Swift, and were going to have FaceTime be an open standard (apparently, patent trolls may have messed that up). Everyone I've seen who has actual technical knowledge seems to like it better than Vulkan.

--Eric

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
ESO has been patched today, by the way. The performance still isn't back to the levels it was before the switch, but it's at least significantly improved. Unfortunately, there are now graphical glitches that haven't been there before… :mad:

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
In some Feral Metal games, performance has increased quite a bit after game and/or macOS updates. This prompted me to redo some comparisons with windows.
Rise of the Tomb Raider is now faster on macOS than on Windows 1803 on my iMac equipped with the radeon 580 and the core i5. :)
In fact, I'm getting an average of 71 fps on macOS on the benchmark tool vs 61 fps on Windows DX12 (57 fps with DX11). I'm using relatively recent crimson drivers on Windows, and the same "high" settings on both OSes (I disabled tessellation on Windows since it's not available on macOS) at 2048*1152.
The performance delta reflects actual gameplay (checked during the first level).

I also tested Hitman, and performance is basically the same between OSes.
Note that the OS and games are installed on an external USB 3.1 SSD for Windows, vs the fusion drive for macOS. I don't think this makes a difference in fps. If anything, loading takes longer on macOS.

Conclusions: Feral are awesome, but we knew that already. Metal isn't bad either.
EDIT:
Something isn't right on Windows. Actually, 2048*1152 isn't available (it's the resolution I use for this game on macOS). The game only proposes 2048*1536, which doesn't make sense since it's not the screen aspect ratio. So I suspect the game wasn't running at the same resolution on Windows. Curiously, 2048*1536 is more pixels than 1440p, though the games run a bit more slowly at 1440p on Windows. At 1440p, macOS is actually 10% slower than DX12.
At 1080p, macOS is only only a couple of fps slower.
So, not a victory for macOS, but we're making progress still.

Last edited:

old-mac-man

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
Mind your own business.
Yes, but is Apple bothered about computer related products any more? Far more 'easy' money to be made in services it seems.

It's becoming les and less likely I'm going to replace my present iMac with another, or any other Mac computer.

Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2016
We can add Batman: Arkham City GOTY to this list. Feral updated it just a few days ago on both Steam and the Mac App Store, adding Metal and 64-bit support.

In addition to improved performance, the game also sports graphical options that I’m pretty sure weren’t there before.

Thank you very much, Feral!

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
We can add Batman: Arkham City GOTY to this list. Feral updated it just a few days ago on both Steam and the Mac App Store, adding Metal and 64-bit support.

In addition to improved performance, the game also sports graphical options that I’m pretty sure weren’t there before.

Thank you very much, Feral!

Colour me impressed. I have a Late 2012 iMac with a 23-inch Cinema Display at 1920x1200 (got Mac with broken screen) running at 'High' with an overage of 40+ FPS with Metal. Not bad at all - great work Feral :)

Reactions: Beamerboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.