Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
The phone is still being worked on as we speak. If there's a chance this thread somehow finds it's way to Apple or Apple finds it's way to this thread, I figure it wouldn't hurt to compile a list of realistic implementations for the iPhone due for release in June. Feel free add your own demands to this thread. So heres my list of minor things that could very well mean the difference between 'Sale or No Sale' for myself and I'm sure more than a few others.

Vibrator mode: or some form of silent ringtone mode. I'm sorry I just can't have a phone that I can't silence during meetings, training classes, presentations etc.

Files! : yes, iPhone comes with a calendar, what looks like a to do (task list) no complaints there. among the many common attachments that come in emails of which the iPhone seems to have addressed photo and PDF wonderfully, but what about word doc's? spreadsheets? among others. One of the big reasons consumers purchase smart-phones is their ability to work with those common file formats on the go.

iTunes: Ok this one may not be so minor or realistic at this point as Apple seems to have their mind set on the theory that iTunes on your home PC should be the central location for all your digital media. Thus having an alternate app on your phone that can access the iTunes store not only goes against the grain of that mind set, it opens up a whole new set of syncing dilemmas technically ( I would imagine) . I can't however imagine overlooking the fact that it would be amazing if we could and how much more iTunes sales would increase if we could :rolleyes: . Often times I (and I'm sure many others) get their music purchasing ambitions from what I happen to hear on the radio [while away from my home PC]. Or when a friend, co-worker, other person recommends [while away from my home PC]. Or when I just finished watching that new flick at the cinema and finished hearing some new tracks (sound tracks) or while I'm at the mall or store etc etc etc.

Battery: This could really be a deal breaker for a ton of potential consumers. Ok, so it's probably not removable. I happen to be fortunate enough to live within a reasonable traveling radius of an Apple store, however the same can't be said about a very large portion of the US population. We're not talking about an iPod here, which consumers have to part with for however long it takes for Apple to replace a faulty or overused battery. We're talking about "Your life in your pocket", and I'm certainly not mailing my life to California for any length of period of more than 24hours. It's just plainly impractical. IF however, the good people at Cingular offered battery replacement for Apple iPhones at Cingular locations then that would just get great.

File Management: Ok, so we can't realistically expect an iPhone to be able to open and work with every file format known to mankind. Although I hope the very popular ones ie, word and excel docs eventually do work on iPhone. This item on my list isn't really about that however, it's about file management. I'm sure a lot of people understand and don't expect their cellphones to be able to open and work with CAD files and such, but often times it's not about using those files on the go. It's simply the option of carrying those files with you. Whether it's CAD or zipped or stuffed or PSD or whatever profession or hobby you're into. Being able to carry those files with you from point A to point B..or simply just being able to keep those files with you with no destination in mind is a pretty big thing. So I hope theres a drive-mode similar to what the iPod does (enable disk use), at the least. I would much rather like to be able to go one step further and view my files via the iPhone OS drive directory and maybe even have the option of managing those files from the iPhone. Deleting, copying, maybe even emailing them etc.

Software Application: An iPhone Database Application for viewing 3rd party Databases. Why? Well, if initially creating 3rd party applications for the iPhone is going to be non existant to developers that aren't on Apple's payroll a Database reader for the iPhone would be huge, really big. It would basically allow people in the mac community, for profit or simply for the love of creating things Mac, to develop Databases that are viewable on the iPhone. For developers it's sort of a means to have access to some of the iPhones features ie, veiwable text and images and database directory and perhaps Apple would even allow those text, images, and directories to flow on the iPhone in similar manner that the built in iPod player, or contacts, or photo viewing works. I'm talking about animated GUI when flipping through images and pages. What kind of databases would people create? Thousands of useful databases. People familiar with Palm and other portable devices know there are huge collections of databases available. Some of them very popular, some of the them very specific to professional fields (ie medical). They range from street map databases (DB's) to medical reference DB's to learning language guides to bartending guides :rolleyes: etc

ok I had a few more, but I can't recall them at the moment.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
"Demands"? To make demands you must have some leverage. You both have none. At worst (from an Apple point of view) neither of you buy. What does this matter to Apple? They will probably sell every phone they can make for the first 3-6 months!

Your "demands" are not going to amount to anything.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
"Demands"? To make demands you must have some leverage. You both have none. At worst (from an Apple point of view) neither of you buy. What does this matter to Apple? They will probably sell every phone they can make for the first 3-6 months!

Precisely what I was going to say. iPhone will have a backlog for at least 1-2 months due to insanely high demand. They really don't need to be taking demands from ANYONE to sell this stuff. Besides, it's an Alpha product, they still have a lot of work to do on it. I'm sure you'll see SOME of your more reasonable REQUESTS in the iPhone.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007

Your giving way to much credit to Apple. the leverage of making the purchase is what makes or breaks every product and/or service in free market economy. The only exception I can think of at the moment is car insurance as some states require that you have it by law. Even in that instance there is still competition for those services driven by consumers. Economy is driven by consumers, and so is the fate of companies that provide products and services to consumers.

Ever see an Apple product flop? because consumers determine the fate of the product? You should research Apple product history or if you have already, bear it in mind before giving Apple that much leverage in a single statement.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Your giving way to much credit to Apple. the leverage of making the purchase is what makes or breaks every product and/or service in free market economy. The only exception I can think of at the moment is car insurance as some states require that you have it by law. Even in that instance there is still competition for those services driven by consumers. Economy is driven by consumers, and so is the fate of companies that provide products and services to consumers.

Ever see an Apple product flop? because consumers determine the fate of the product? You should research Apple product history or if you have already, bear it in mind before giving Apple that much leverage in a single statement.

Do you live in a bubble called fanboy land? People will buy this phone REGARDLESS of its lack of features that you have requested. If ANYTHING is going to cause trouble for this phone, it's going to be the price and 2 year Cingular/ATT contract. Apple has more leverage right now than you can possibly imagine. They have it all come to think of it. They have the iPod, that's all they need.

People KEEP buying iPods regardless of battery issues, hard drive issues, etc. You, my friend, make up less than 1% of Apple's consumer base. Most of us do, as far as their digital device market goes. Fanboys, rumor site readers, etc. won't make or break Apple. People like my sister, my boss, my aunt, my parents, my coworkers will make or break Apple, and you know what? None of them know what an iPhone even is or what it does. So maybe YOU should do some research and realize that you are not going to make or break Apple, and that of the 100 million iPods they've likely sold by now, you can count the number you have on your hand.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Funny, you're still trying to compare the iPhone to a smartphone. It's not really a smartphone. Some, but not all, smartphones can open Word documents, but it's not necessary. In fact, it's totally pointless. I don't want to be reading a Word document on the screen of the iPhone. Also, it's not up to Apple to have that feature by it's own accord. Microsoft has to step forward and develop that software for the iPhone.

Vibrate mode isn't all that great. It's more annoying than an actual ringtone at times. Better off not having it.

Your opinions, as much as you may value them, mean squat to Apple right now and will most likely remain that way for a long time. And to call them realistic when we don't even know all the details about this product is a bit absurd.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Isn't MS moving to an open format with the release of Office 07/08 - making it easier for Apple to at least include a Word document reader, if not an editor?

I think that the format will be based on XML or some other open format but will still be tied to Microsoft Word.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would just like to see it have 3G capability. Not every where has WiFi, and with out WiFi or 3G, the full internet browser seems rather pointless.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
So it isn't possible/allowable to implement your own reader or editor? So much for the open format.:rolleyes:

You could reverse-engineer it, but personally, what's the point? Let Microsoft deal with it. For all we know, there's been a deal made with Microsoft that the Mac dev team is going to make a document reader for the iPhone. We don't know anything about the iPhone yet.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I would just like to see it have 3G capability. Not every where has WiFi, and with out WiFi or 3G, the full internet browser seems rather pointless.

It is possible that the iPhone when it's released in June will have 3G or it's already got a 3G antenna and such internally and it just needs to be activated. Again, we don't know this.

Personally, I'm hoping that Chicago keeps up with their plan to have city-wide wireless access in the next year or so. I'd be more than willing to pay for that and be able to access everything everywhere in Chicago.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I think that the format will be based on XML or some other open format but will still be tied to Microsoft Word.

Yes it is based on XML but it is not open for implementations and requires all license crap from MS. MS funds though the OpenDocument plugin for office.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Alright Alright, I'm not going to go back and forth on how much weight my demands translate into product success. Yes it also maybe true that according to some here, "It's not a full fledged smartphone". Apple released the product as "an iPod, a phone, a revolutionary internet communicating device". 3 things. Don't see any mention of fully fledged smartphone there, although I do find it odd that Mr. Jobs also claims these so called smartphones aren't so smart, during the same speech.

Still it's somewhat foolish to think that aside from Apple's target market, which according to some here is not the smart phone consumer, is not considering making the purchase. Owners of blackberry, palm, etc are by far and large considering the iPhone. Don't believe it? Go the the various blackberry user forums or palm treo forums etc for yourself and see if you can find a forum without an iPhone thread going. How large is that market? and how large is the market for simple things like word documents on those devices? I'm not going to spend a life time of research but a simple search at download.com for "documents to go" softare for Palm OS total half a million just from that one site! just for that particular OS. link http://www.download.com/Documents-To-Go-Premium-Edition/3000-2079_4-10459394.html?tag=list

also when I say demands I'm not holding the company hostage :) I think the word demand as I mean to use it should be seen as demanded features as in "in high demand" or potentially. Such as if a new car would be great if it came with build in surround sound to boot. That type of demand. reasonable and realistic.

Just referencing one of my points such as silent ring mode: How many iPod and potential iPhone consumers are going to be in class, college classes, seminars, or at the movie theater etc with their ringers chirping away? :eek: just shut the phone off I suppose or put it on airplane mode during your microeconomics class? right. very unpratical

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
iTunes: Ok this one may not be so minor or realistic at this point as Apple seems to have their mind set on the theory that iTunes on your home PC should be the central location for all your digital media. Thus having an alternate app on your phone that can access the iTunes store not only goes against the grain of that mind set, it opens up a whole new set of syncing dilemmas technically ( I would imagine) . I can't however imagine overlooking the fact that it would be amazing if we could and how much more iTunes sales would increase if we could :rolleyes: . Often times I (and I'm sure many others) get their music purchasing ambitions from what I happen to hear on the radio [while away from my home PC]. Or when a friend, co-worker, other person recommends [while away from my home PC]. Or when I just finished watching that new flick at the cinema and finished hearing some new tracks (sound tracks) or while I'm at the mall or store etc etc etc.

They could solve this buy giving you a music store option with add to shopping cart so that when you returned home and synced, those selections would be added to your cart in your iTunes app and you could purchase and download them.

raptor96

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
RI
They could solve this buy giving you a music store option with add to shopping cart so that when you returned home and synced, those selections would be added to your cart in your iTunes app and you could purchase and download them.

That would be ridiculous because you wouldn't have the song to listen to...which I believe is the point of the request. Otherwise what you're suggesting amounts to basically a reminder with an iTunes browser attached. I think the only point to having the store on the phone would be instant gratification of having a track. Having an add to cart situation would just be annoying, imho.

bucknutty06

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Vibrate mode isn't all that great. It's more annoying than an actual ringtone at times. Better off not having it.

Are you kidding? The vibrate and speed dial are the two most used functions on my phone. This is two things the iPhone will not have.

Speed Dial on my POS Samsung phone - lets me call whoever I want without even looking at my phone, just by pressing a key.

Vibrate - Allows me to receive calls at work without annoying my coworkers.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I'd like financial software. I think it's a lot easier to carry around my cell phone than a checkbook. I've currently got Money for Palm and it works great.

Vibrate mode is essential. I can't imagine a ringtone that could be loud enough to be heard but unobnoxious enough to be tolerated during a meeting or a movie.

I also agree with the file management. It'd be great if my phone connected to my wireless automatically and was listed in my Network area and I could use it as portable storage if need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.