Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Read that thread again and you'll find that each iPhone actually costs much more than that. Apple has millions invested in R&D for this device, and that's just the beginning.

First, I didn't read that thread the first time around - I posted this before that thread appeared. ;)

But, while it's true that R&D costs are significant for this device, I don't think they're as relevant as the per-handset building costs - simply because they can spread the R&D costs over so many devices sold. They're estimating sales of 10m in the first year. (If sales double the following year, the revenue doubles, the build costs double, the R&D costs don't).

So if their 'gross profit' per phone is (if iSuppli is correct, at least) 249 dollars. Multiply that by 10m and they have 2.5 billion dollars from which to fund R&D, and still make a significant difference to Apple's year end bottom line.

If reports we've heard are correct, little of the hardware used was developed in house, which should cut down on development costs too.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
He absolutely does NOT which is why this is an issue. He mentioned a SILENT function.

Hmmm... you may be right there. I will have to watch it again.

Either way- he never said it DIDN't have vibrate, so I really don't see what all the fuss is about (not talking at you, here). Not that I have been seriously looking for ne phones lately, but doesn't every phone have vibrate? I don't see why the iPhone wouldn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.