Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaracksPhallusPalace

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
I’m curious if anyone else is having the same problem I’m having with their Combo Touch, I’m on a 2017 10.5” iPad Pro and the track pad will constantly stop working, regardless of what app I’m in, but it seems to only happen while in apps. I can move the cursor around temporarily until it disappears altogether, and I’ll have to back out of the app and back into it, or disconnect and reconnect the keyboard from the smart connector to get it to appear again. It’s beyond frustrating and makes me dislike using what is otherwise a great product. Hopefully this is something Logitech will address in a firmware update, and not a problem with the iPad and it’s smart connector.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I’m curious if anyone else is having the same problem I’m having with their Combo Touch, I’m on a 2017 10.5” iPad Pro and the track pad will constantly stop working, regardless of what app I’m in, but it seems to only happen while in apps. I can move the cursor around temporarily until it disappears altogether, and I’ll have to back out of the app and back into it, or disconnect and reconnect the keyboard from the smart connector to get it to appear again. It’s beyond frustrating and makes me dislike using what is otherwise a great product. Hopefully this is something Logitech will address in a firmware update, and not a problem with the iPad and it’s smart connector.
It's been discussed quite a bit in this thread: Logitech combo touch for iPad Pro 10.5/air

Cyluks

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2019
Same issue here. I’m betting it’s a software issue, as the keyboard part of the device works fine, and I can get the cursor back by hitting a single key on the keyboard. It’s weird though.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I’m experiencing the same issue. It doesn’t look like a hardware issue for me since hitting any button on the keyboard brings could the trackpad back to work. Wish the firmware update could solve this issue.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’m experiencing the same issue. It doesn’t look like a hardware issue for me since hitting any button on the keyboard brings could the trackpad back to work. Wish the firmware update could solve this issue.
Which firmware version are you on, and have you reported the issue to Logitech?

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Which firmware version are you on, and have you reported the issue to Logitech?
I think Logitech just released an update today. I updated my keyboard and the current firmware version is “00.11-01.05”. I’ll use my iPad for a couple of hours and see if this issue has been solved.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I think Logitech just released an update today. I updated my keyboard and the current firmware version is “00.11-01.05”. I’ll use my iPad for a couple of hours and see if this issue has been solved.
Now I can confirm the issue is still there with this firmware. My trackpad sporadically got no respond, and pressing a key on the keyboard makes trackpad work again.

I haven’t contacted Logitech yet. The procedure seems complicated and frustrating according to the discussion in other thread (someone got an even worse product). I still hope this is not fully a hardware issue and could get solved by a firmware update.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Now I can confirm the issue is still there with this firmware. My trackpad sporadically got no respond, and pressing a key on the keyboard makes trackpad work again.

I haven’t contacted Logitech yet. The procedure seems complicated and frustrating according to the discussion in other thread (someone got an even worse product). I still hope this is not fully a hardware issue and could get solved by a firmware update.
I actually experienced the trackpad issue last night after updating the firmware several hours earlier. I reseated the keyboard and it went away, and has been working fine since, but I opened a ticket with Logitech anyway. It was really easy to do by using the Contact Us link.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I actually experienced the trackpad issue last night after updating the firmware several hours earlier. I reseated the keyboard and it went away, and has been working fine since, but I opened a ticket with Logitech anyway. It was really easy to do by using the Contact Us link.
Glad to know your issue could go away. In my case, this issue happens like once every 10 to 15 mins while keeping using the trackpad. I’m currently testing different combination of settings (tap to click on/off, tracking speed, etc.) to see if that helps. I used to set tap2click on and with max tracking speed.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Glad to know your issue could go away. In my case, this issue happens like once every 10 to 15 mins while keeping using the trackpad. I’m currently testing different combination of settings (tap to click on/off, tracking speed, etc.) to see if that helps. I used to set tap2click on and with max tracking speed.
I keep both of the trackpad tap to click and right click settings off. My speed is set to about 3/4 of full.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I keep both of the trackpad tap to click and right click settings off. My speed is set to about 3/4 of full.
Thanks for sharing your settings. I copied your settings but the trackpad issue still occurs. Now I’m doubting this could be a hardware problem :(

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing your settings. I copied your settings but the trackpad issue still occurs. Now I’m doubting this could be a hardware problem :(
It's important to contact Logitech to report the issue to help them understand how widespread the issue is. I simply used its contact us webform, received a ticket # right away, and today received acknowledgement from staff. If the response and suggestions from Logitech are helpful, I'll share them here.

Edited: I realize this thread is for constant trackpad issues, but my my disappearing pointer has only happened a couple times since I've had the case since 7/1. Reseating it in the smart connectors fixes it.

Last edited:

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
It's important to contact Logitech to report the issue to help them understand how widespread the issue is. I simply used its contact us webform, received a ticket # right away, and today received acknowledgement from staff. If the response and suggestions from Logitech are helpful, I'll share them here.

Edited: I realize this thread is for constant trackpad issues, but my my disappearing pointer has only happened a couple times since I've had the case since 7/1. Reseating it in the smart connectors fixes it.
Yea. I just sent a ticket to Logitech too. I’ll let you know the result and see if that helps.

Actually I feel this thread was discussing exactly the same issue I’m experiencing. The frequently no responding trackpad issue happens ”constantly” (about every 10-15mins in average in my case). The topic could be a little misleading though.

In my case, either reseating the keyboard or pressing any button could fix it.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Here's the troubleshooting steps received from Logitech. I just did the re-trigger the firmware update using the image in the app. How cool that the image has that functionality.

1. Ensure that the Smart Connector on the iPad and the Keyboard are clean and free of debris.
  2. Soft Reset the iPad (Press and hold the power button and the volume down button simultaneously until the iPad reboots and an Apple logo appears on screen, then release the two buttons and test the keyboard once fully booted up)
  3. Update iOS to the newest version and test functionality.
  4. If another iPad with a Smart Connector is available for testing, please test the keyboard on the other iPad, if it functions with a different iPad, then the keyboard is working as intended and please contact Apple about the device it is not working with.
  5. Re-trigger the firmware update in the Logitech Control Application.

To re-trigger the firmware update:
  1. Open Logitech Control App — make sure you're using the newest version available in the App Store.
  2. On the screen, using the image of the keyboard within the app, place your fingers on the Q+W+E buttons (as highlighted in the image below), and then touch or press the Option key on the image of the keyboard.
3. You will see the text below the Logi logo change to Unlocking Firmware Update when successful.

ueWleTgB7zCXJoULKWvbAYthRxziRZQPlY7NhvisryskeeHK54647Q7w6M8HlhJ8rnwc9DwTpnVTa1p38pVk27GwBOWJlaEdGYpNtuJNSZy91bUWyJBEwRsPp-L7rXHhu682gmfR

4. After “Unlocking Firmware Update” appears, tap the grayed-out FIRMWARE UPDATE AVAILABLEbutton.
5. The New Firmware window appears — tap Start Update to restart the firmware update.

DHDjWwDp-8zblautMUamtsH6iE8TSITRwpuceLlHzXXIk-SElwIHyKlUsy8Gu3Kd_ktUMCbvMmWLsg1HzQTLqtGWvns_8fUp_NfjCj2ykbf4Oj6xGa7-WQvbWZrt8UhQrRISZtMX

NOTE: Remember to keep the keyboard attached, the app open, and refrain from using the keyboard or touchpad during the process.

Please also check the trackpad settings in your iPad. Please go to Settings - General - Trackpad. Afterwards, try to adjust these settings to see if the problem will still persist:

• To adjust how quickly the pointer moves when you use the trackpad, drag the Tracking Speed slider.
  • To make content track the movement of your fingers when you scroll, turn on Natural Scrolling.
  • To make a tap on the trackpad register as a click, turn on Tap to Click.
  • To have a two-finger click or tap behave as a secondary click, turn on Two Finger Secondary Click.

Last edited:

ViolinShapedObject

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
I’ve had the same issue for over a month now. Sent a ticket to Logitech and they offered a replacement; I went to an Apple retail store and exchanged the keyboard twice now and all three keyboards exhibited the same problem. The trackpad randomly stops working across all apps and even on the home screen and app switcher. Like others, pressing any key or reseating the keyboard temporarily fixes it.

I’m on a 12.9” 2021 iPP, latest iPadOS and keyboard firmware (00.11-01.05), tap to click is on.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I found another setting this evening under Accessibility > Pointer Control > Automatically Hide Pointer. For some reason this was enabled, so I turned it off. I'm not sure what it does, and the Apple support document for iPadOS 14 Accessibility doesn't provide any detail.

So maybe it will have some effect, who knows. I haven't had any issues since yesterday.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I found another setting this evening under Accessibility > Pointer Control > Automatically Hide Pointer. For some reason this was enabled, so I turned it off. I'm not sure what it does, and the Apple support document for iPadOS 14 Accessibility doesn't provide any detail.

So maybe it will have some effect, who knows. I haven't had any issues since yesterday.

That causes the pointer to disappear after several seconds of it not being moved.

Reactions: 0128672

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I got the reply from Logitech support. But it was with routine suggestions that we all already known and not much helpful.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I’ve had the same issue for over a month now. Sent a ticket to Logitech and they offered a replacement; I went to an Apple retail store and exchanged the keyboard twice now and all three keyboards exhibited the same problem. The trackpad randomly stops working across all apps and even on the home screen and app switcher. Like others, pressing any key or reseating the keyboard temporarily fixes it.

I’m on a 12.9” 2021 iPP, latest iPadOS and keyboard firmware (00.11-01.05), tap to click is on.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is good to know this issue is at least relatively wide spread. Probably I won’t choose to replace my keyboard then.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010

Logitech support today suggested me to replace my keyboard too. But knowing your experience, I think I’ll skip the offer, and try to accept and make peace with my current one.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Logitech support today suggested me to replace my keyboard too. But knowing your experience, I think I’ll skip the offer, and try to accept and make peace with my current one.
I can understand feeling that way based on another member's experience, but maybe it's worth trying at least once. There's a chance your experience may be different.

Last edited:

ViolinShapedObject

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021

I can understand feeling that way based on another member's experience, but maybe it's worth trying at least once. There's a chance your experience may be different.

I very well could’ve just had a string of bad luck with three malfunctioning keyboards, but I would still take them up with a replacement! If it ends up solving it, I might try my luck again.

Interestingly, my subjective experience with the three that I‘ve had is that each one exhibited the problem at varying frequencies: the problem occurred most often with the second one and the current one that I’ve settled with does it maybe once a day - enough to be annoying when it happens, but not completely unusable since we can luckily fix it with a quick keyboard press.

lzbones

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I very well could’ve just had a string of bad luck with three malfunctioning keyboards, but I would still take them up with a replacement! If it ends up solving it, I might try my luck again.

Interestingly, my subjective experience with the three that I‘ve had is that each one exhibited the problem at varying frequencies: the problem occurred most often with the second one and the current one that I’ve settled with does it maybe once a day - enough to be annoying when it happens, but not completely unusable since we can luckily fix it with a quick keyboard press.
Thanks for sharing! If the frequency could vary with identical software/APP environment and trackpad settings (e.g. sensitivity, tap to click, etc.), then to me it looks more like a hardware issue.

However, I don’t want to waste too much time on this and negotiating with people without knowing if the issue could get solved or even worse. I’m trying to accept this keyboard and persuade myself that it’s not a big deal to press a button every 10-15 mins in average.

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
I picked up the new Logitech Touch Keyboard to try instead of the Magic Keyboard but I'm not sure; I'm certainly getting what almost feels like "phantom" key presses from time to time but I suspect its actually a touchpad gesture its doing; will give it a few days but might just swap back for a Magic keyboard.

I do like the keyboard though; I have a MacBook Air so the iPad is really meant to be a tablet so the case/removable keyboard combination is really handy; very Surface like

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.