Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
After trying to like it for 3 days, sending it back. Just too heavy and adds to much bulk. Still more useful than the Apple Magic Keyboard was since this is case stays on when you use the iPad Pro as a tablet.

Apple just needs to add keyboard back-lighting and a strap to hold on the pencil to the lightweight Apple Folio Keyboard and it will be perfect for me.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
After trying to like it for 3 days, sending it back. Just too heavy and adds to much bulk. Still more useful than the Apple Magic Keyboard was since this is case stays on when you use the iPad Pro as a tablet.

Apple just needs to add keyboard back-lighting and a strap to hold on the pencil to the lightweight Apple Folio Keyboard and it will be perfect for me.

I get your issue. It takes a certain commitment (for the lack of a better term) to use this, as it's attached full time. The hurdle to get over is the added weight and size. It literally transforms the form factor and how you interact with the ipad. I can see why the 12.9 hasn't been made or if it's even being made.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I get your issue. It takes a certain commitment (for the lack of a better term) to use this, as it's attached full time. The hurdle to get over is the added weight and size. It literally transforms the form factor and how you interact with the ipad. I can see why the 12.9 hasn't been made or if it's even being made.

I actually want something attached all the time and protecting the iPad. And IMHO this is big failing of the Apple Magic Keyboard where you cannot use the iPad as a tablet with the Magic Keyboard attached.

slimejester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
So, I bought the Magic Keyboard case, and it’s incredible. Has the heft of the Logitech one, but it really feels great so far. Really impressed with it so far. I thought the quality would be much worse. I bought it with the education discount at 279, but I really think it’s worth the extra money.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
So, I bought the Magic Keyboard case, and it’s incredible. Has the heft of the Logitech one, but it really feels great so far. Really impressed with it so far. I thought the quality would be much worse. I bought it with the education discount at 279, but I really think it’s worth the extra money.
Congrats! Will you be putting on a skin on the MK?

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Congrats! Will you be putting on a skin on the MK?
No chance.
Nice. I’ve been using my MKB for over a week now and haven’t put a skin on it. It’s fine. Some of the comments on here made me worried that I needed a skin, but I use it carefully and haven’t come across the smudges/marks/scratches etc. I’ve seen people mention here and elsewhere. I really like the feel of the MKB. Glad I didn’t get skin for it, as it’d cover up this neat material.

Reactions: slimejester

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Nice. I’ve been using my MKB for over a week now and haven’t put a skin on it. It’s fine. Some of the comments on here made me worried that I needed a skin, but I use it carefully and haven’t come across the smudges/marks/scratches etc. I’ve seen people mention here and elsewhere. I really like the feel of the MKB. Glad I didn’t get skin for it, as it’d cover up this neat material.
The material will eventually flake after a year plus, making it look really cheap so apply a skin before that happens is definitely the right choice. I’ll be carrying mine a lot and even-though its just gonna be mostly around my place I’m still gonna get a skin (which I usually hate but I’ve seen how bad the wear and tear on the MK can look like).

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
My review:
Keyboard

A bit loud for my liking (maybe even louder than the MBP with butterfly keys but didn’t compare yet) and the backlight is handy but it’s of course like a normal keyboard where you can see the backlight around the keys, not just through the letters like with the current Apple keyboards. Types well for me, and the function keys are useful, albeit not necessary for me.

Trackpad
Also good, I thought it sucked at first but it turns out there’s a trackpad inertia feature in iPadOS you should turn off because it means that when you let go the pointer keeps going for a bit. Felt really weird. You can’t click the top third of the trackpad but this hasn’t been an issue for me.

Design
Really nice overall, with the only issue being the rubber case tbh. I like it more than the magic keyboard, although not a huge fan of the kickstand but like the flexibility in the viewing angles at least. The rubber enclosure is too thick, as others have mentioned and the weight is not ideal. The case also makes the buttons a bit harder to press because of the rubber, I think.

Conclusion
I'll return it, I think. I'm on the fence about it but the added bulk & weight makes me feel more inclined to take my MacBook Pro with me instead.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
One week later review. It's a keeper. I thought this would just be a part time case where I'll just end up putting it on when I need to have a keyboard handy on something like a trip. The experience has been so positive that I ended up just keeping it on and treating the ipad like a laptop as far as form factor goes. I've gotten used to the weight and bulk. I'm probably having a similar experience as the MK owners in that interacting with the ipad through the trackpad and keyboard has been eye opening. With the added function keys I never really need to touch the screen or the hardware keys at all. Funny enough, my preferred mode now is with the keyboard out. I've not encountered any disconnect or funky keyboard issues.

A few things of note. The magnetic flap for the pencil isn't really needed to keep the keyboard closed. The case and keyboard somehow magnetically close on their own. The slot for the crayon is also useful for the pencil as you can store the pencil without having it attached to the ipad all the time. I like this feature. The downside of turning on "tap to click" is you can accidentally click on things you don't want to. It's a tradeoff. Yes it's not "lappable" and still takes a lot of desk space with the kickstand but I can easily live with those shortcomings. All in all I'm glad I got it and it's definitely better value than the SKF.

ToneDriver

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
Pros
  • Great key typing experience, as most Logitech keyboards are
  • Great trackpad experience
  • Function key row, including lock/unlock
  • Like the color and material
Cons
  • Large footprint
  • When in the folded viewing mode, the case is sitting on the keyboard
  • Lack of extra charging port
  • The keyboard feels slightly asymmetrical when typing. My left hand is hanging off the left edge a little more then the right, so it's just an odd feeling.
Overall I like it and I like Logitech products.

okifeelthat

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
so i've had the keyboard for about a week on my 11 in iPad Pro, and I got to say I LOVE it. yes its very heavy and bulky, but I have found myself using my iPad a lot more around the house for things I would normally do only on my desktop. the keyboard feels great, I find the function row extremely useful for things like controlling the music I'm listening to and brightness controls, and the trackpad with iPadOS14 is a game changer. It's also very comfortable on my laptop for typing or just web surfing. Ideally yes I wish it was a tad lighter (and have more color options as I have way too many gray accessories), but this is great purchase for me. Just wish I had this when I got mine back in 2018!!! Also bummed its not out yet for the 12.9 in folks, as I know several people I would recommend this too.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
So this Youtuber was praising his FT, even making a couple of videos about it. Now he’s returning it. The lesson here is don’t update your firmware. His problems appeared after he updated the firmware at 1:51. The Logi app does show a FW update. I’m not touching it.

Maxencelee

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
Been using my FT for quite awhile now and i love how this keyboard is, just that there are minor glitch sometime due to the firmware which after updating my ipad the issue was gone. My overall experience: (owned a MKB and FT, no Sf though)

Pros:
- The keyboard is awesome. Similar to MKB/SF but with a difference.
- Track pad is very similar to MKB with mostly similar controls.
- Adjustable keyboard backlight (Auto adjustable to your environment)
- Adjustable screen and very stable when working on desk.
- Function keys are awesome that MKB doesn’t have yet.
- Comes with magnetic strip for the cover which is good to keep my Apple Pencil when travelling around.
- The protection around the iPad is awesome too! (And keeping my ipad safe is the most important thing!)
- Last but not least, the fabric covers are awesome in looks and style.

Cons:
- Slightly heavier than slim folio but slightly lighter than MKB
- Slightly harder to remove the iPad from case compared to MKB/SF
- Large footprint compared to both SF and MKB
- Lap-able if you are not using the keyboard (When you’re drawing, notes writing or Movies)
- Keyboards are the seated on the surface of your table/lap
- Top 10% of the trackpad is not press-able but mouse control is still good.
- Some keys are does not function well (aka CAPSLOCK does not work if you have another language on)
- Glitchy at times and need firmware update (Checked with Logitech only given standard reply).

Overall i feel is awesome if you’re looking for a macbook alike but if you’re already having a macbook this is not necessary. As an engineer, this is awesome as i can use it anywhere i go in the rough environment.

Note that if you’re using this as a student, best still go for MBP/MBA, or get SF or MKB if you’re just planning for the classy look.

Note that I returned my MKB cause i felt that the surface on both front and back would be easily dirtied and it does not provide sufficient protection for the iPAd and it does not have function keys which I believe it would come in good use when you’re working on iT

All this is just my own 2cents :) Cheers and Stay safe guys!:)
[automerge]1596136468[/automerge]
So this Youtuber was praising his FT, even making a couple of videos about it. Now he’s returning it. The lesson here is don’t update your firmware. His problems appeared after he updated the firmware at 1:51. The Logi app does show a FW update. I’m not touching it.

What he said was true for his videos but i believe if Logitech comes up with a better firmware update, its gonna be stable, afterall FT only released this Mid July so considering better updates are coming. :) Cheers

Last edited:

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
I've been following the news of the Logitech Folio Touch for a while (since it was announced).

I've been using my iPad Pro 11" with the Logitech Slim Folio Pro for a few months, and it's a great keyboard - however I didn't like the viewing angles it offered (just a bit too vertical for me). Also, I decided to try connecting my Magic Mouse to my iPad Pro and got pretty impressed by how much functionality it added to my iPad usage. So decided to check out the Magic Keyboard Folio and the Logitech Folio Touch.

Dropped by the Apple store today and they were nice enough to let me look at them side by side. I think before today I had already been leaning towards getting the Logitech Folio Touch over the MKF and seeing them side by side helped me decide, and I walked out of the store with the Logitech Folio Touch (and am typing on it right now!)

My reasons for choosing the Logitech Folio Touch over the Magic Keyboard Folio:
- Price - LFT was just over half the price of the MKF
- Material - I didn't like the MKF material as I feel it will get scuffed/damaged easily - the display model in the Apple store already had a significant number of scuffs on it (and it has been on display at most for 2 months, plus people generally can't really go into the Apple store and play with things anymore as they used to). In comparison I feel like the LFT material won't get scuffed as easily.
- Protection - with the LFT I can just throw it into my bag and be reasonably happy that my iPad is well protected. I don't see myself doing that with the MKF, would probably want to get a sleeve if I had gotten the MKF.
- Apple pencil holder flap thing on the LFT.
- Ability to fold the iPad back with the LFT. I know you can just pull the iPad off the MKF, but I would prefer to just keep the iPad in one case without removing it anytime I wanted to use it in tablet mode (which is on a daily basis).
- Also, when I tried typing on the MKF in the Apple store, I found that my fingers tended to hit the bottom edge of the iPad. Not a huge dealbreaker as I think I could adjust to this though, but it was annoying when trying out the MKF.

Things I liked better about the Magic Keyboard Folio over the Logitech Folio Touch (based on brief impressions)
- The trackpad is better - the LFT "diving board" style really isn't as great
- MKF has a smaller footprint on the table because no need for a kickstand
- MKF looks more elegant (but not enough to make up for that price difference!)

So far so good with the LFT, will see how I get on with it over the next couple of weeks or so!

Reactions: tripleburst

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
So far so good with the LFT, will see how I get on with it over the next couple of weeks or so!

I don't have the LFT, but I think you hit the nail as to why anyone should choose the LFT over the MK (one thing I would add is the row of function keys).

When I had the Logitech Slim Folio for my 2017 12.9", I had those same feelings you have with the LFT. I could just throw it in my bag and not worry. I liked having the Pencil holder also. The LFT's material didn't need to be babied and was durable.

But now with my MK, though it already has dents and scuffs, I STILL baby the heck out of it. If Logitech had one out for the 12.9" before Apple released theirs, MAYBE I would be rocking it today. But they didn't. And Apple has my money.

Thanks for your review!

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
It looks really good, but I think the larger footprint due to the kickstand makes it a non-starter for me. I’ve also got really used to just taking the iPad out of the MK and using it without a case to the point where it just feels very natural.

Nice product though at a good price.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Hello! I have had the logitech folio touch for 2 weeks and I am very very happy with it.
I had also bought the smart folio but I do not use it at all, unless a couple of times I have taken it out of the house for light use.
For me, the way I use the ipad has completely changed, now it is like using a laptop, very happy with the keyboard, with the trackpad and especially with the multiple configuration positions, and the function keys.

Also its price is very fair, it could be more expensive for what it offers

just one more opinion

(please excuse any mistakes, my English is basic and I'm using google translate)

Reactions: Moyapilot

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
I don't have the LFT, but I think you hit the nail as to why anyone should choose the LFT over the MK (one thing I would add is the row of function keys).

When I had the Logitech Slim Folio for my 2017 12.9", I had those same feelings you have with the LFT. I could just throw it in my bag and not worry. I liked having the Pencil holder also. The LFT's material didn't need to be babied and was durable.

But now with my MK, though it already has dents and scuffs, I STILL baby the heck out of it. If Logitech had one out for the 12.9" before Apple released theirs, MAYBE I would be rocking it today. But they didn't. And Apple has my money.

Thanks for your review!

Oh yes I actually forgot about the function keys. To be honest I'd been used to using an iPad without function keys (prior to a few months ago I was on an iPad Pro 10.5" with the Apple Smart Keyboard so never had function keys in the past), but am slowly discovering how useful they are, especially if I'm listening to music on my iPad!

I have to say that after 2 days with the LFT, I am still tempted by the MKF due to its sheer elegance. But then I think about the points I listed in my post above (especially about how worried I'd get with scuffs and protection) and so far still fairly happy with the LFT.

One downside I have found though is that the top left corner of my LFT (where the volume buttons are) doesn't completely come over the edge of the iPad. I suspect this could possibly be the fact that I have a dBrand side protector skin on my iPad making it just slightly thicker. It's something I can probably live with though...

Reactions: ejin222

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
A further update to the above... I continued being tempted by the MKF and found myself at the Apple Store after work one day buying an MKF.

Spent a week with both the LFT and the MKF and just returned the LFT yesterday and will be keeping the MKF.

My reasons for keeping the MKF over the LFT
- Smaller footprint of the MKF - I found that the LFT was taking up just a bit too much space on the dining table or at my desk at work
- Trackpad. This was another major factor for my second thoughts with the LFT. I take a lot of notes with my iPad, and select a lot of text, and the diving board style trackpad was making it really frustrating to select text with the LFT. I couldn't find a good workaround for it (unlike the tap to click workaround).
- Didn't like feeling the keys and trackpad when I tried to use the LFT in tablet mode. Decided I could live with taking my iPad off the MKF whenever I wanted to use it in tablet mode. Also once I tried it - wow, I had nearly forgotten how thin and light the iPad is on its own.
- Easier to adjust the viewing angles - with the MKF I found I would adjust viewing angles if I moved the iPad around on the table, changed my posture, etc. With the LFT I found I wouldn't because I didn't like continually adjusting viewing angles on a kickstand.
- I have Applecare+ for my iPad, so it makes me a bit less worried over protection for my iPad and over durability for the MKF.

However, I still miss these things about the LFT
- The material is nicer and I feel more likely to hold up well with use
- Function keys, especially if I'm listening to music while using my iPad. Or if I want to quickly adjust screen brightness
- Protection - I now find myself sticking my iPad/MKF into a sleeve before it goes into my bag
- Apple pencil holder flap thing
- Insane number of viewing angles and easier to use the iPad in certain modes (e.g. if playing a game using just the touch screen).

It was a very close thing between the two for me, just that ultimately I liked the MKF a little bit more. The LFT is still a great keyboard case though!

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I just got this. I like it a lot. Very nice, and the trackpad is a little better than Apple's for my use, but that's subjective. Others may not agree.

It's a very good alternative. I'm keeping both. Both are excellent. It would be nice if it had that extra charging port, but then it would cost quite a bit more. Now we have this great alternative that addresses features that Apple's design could not accommodate as it is.

If they come out with a 12.9" version I snap that up in a second! Logitech.

Now the challenge might be to come out with a version that doesn't weigh as much as the iPad :D

Last edited:

rdinterman

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
So I purchased mine this week, overall I am happy. One issue is the on screen keyboard keeps popping up even when I hit the button not to. I have the "full access" checked in Settings, I have searched Google. Is anyone having an issue with this? When I connect an old Bluetooth keyboard, the on screen keyboard stays hidden.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
So I purchased mine this week, overall I am happy. One issue is the on screen keyboard keeps popping up even when I hit the button not to. I have the "full access" checked in Settings, I have searched Google. Is anyone having an issue with this? When I connect an old Bluetooth keyboard, the on screen keyboard stays hidden.

have you downloaded the logitechcontrol app and installed the firmware update?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I got one on Sunday. I loved the typing experience right away. The trackpad is also nice. Personally, I find the ergonomics of the Magic Mouse and iPad to be a better fit for me, but I've always preferred mice over trackpads. There were also multiple times where the on-screen keyboard would not pop up when the keyboard was flipped around and I needed to use it.

The case material is really nice and I'm sure it will hold up much better than the magic keyboard. But I'm returning it. It's just too heavy--I think it weighs more than the iPad itself--and I don't use the keyboard enough to justify the added bulk. I prefer the versatility of a lightweight folio style case and separate magic keyboard (not the iPad one) and magic mouse. If I didn't have a desktop and the iPad was my main computer I think I'd probably be happy with it. Kudos to Apple for taking their time to thoughtfully refine the trackpad and mouse experience on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.