Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does it take longer for your iPad to boot with IOS 12

• Yes - Considerably

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes - Slightly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
My 10.5 iPad Pro now takes 35 seconds to boot from the start of the Apple logo to the login details.

I just had a chat with Apple support who seemed to think this was normal and “might get sorted out with the next update”

Is anyone else noticing longer boot time with IOS 12?

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
I have done two complete DFU installations as a new machine and the boot time is still about 35 seconds. Apple did a remote MRI scan and said that the systems are all green, but have booked me an appointment with a Genius on Saturday.

I have also been getting a number one Backboardd wake up analytics errors. I am just trying to see if it is an app or if there is a bigger issue

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I have done two complete DFU installations as a new machine and the boot time is still about 35 seconds. Apple did a remote MRI scan and said that the systems are all green, but have booked me an appointment with a Genius on Saturday.

I have also been getting a number one Backboardd wake up analytics errors. I am just trying to see if it is an app or if there is a bigger issue

Not sure if it helps, but out of curiosity I just rebooted my 9.7 iPP, it took 37 seconds for the main screen to come up after the Apple logo appeared. It does not bother me, and I honestly could not care less about keeping track of how long a reboot cycle takes. It gets the job done and that’s all I care.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
No idea why you care. Booting iPad is something which needs to be done when it is being updated and that is usually it. We reboot our iPads within family - and we have like 6 - less than once per month each. My wife probably does not even know how to do it. So who cares about few seconds?
Anything actually wrong with the iPad?

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
I care as I have had a number of iPads and none have taken this long to boot. I am also getting a number of backboardd errors that I have not seen before.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Well, I had to restart my iPad Pro 9.7 (year old) to time it - and it is about 20 seconds to login. I recall older iPads seemed to me to be slower. Never bothered to time this... Latest iOS installed. Now, personally, I would not worry about the boot time - but errors is different thing. That suggest bigger problem - and should be fixed, which as far as I understand means replacement.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I have a appointment with a genius on Saturday. I got 3 backboardd errors yesterday and having done some research here http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/Backboardd. It looks like a hardware fault:(

I experimented with three different 10.5” iPPs today and it took 18 seconds on all three of them - Apple Logo to home screen. I’m sure they will figure out what’s wrong with your iPP on Saturday. Hope it helps your case.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
If anything, booting iOS 12 is a bit faster than 11 was on both my iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

One thing I noticed is that *shutting down* is MUCH faster on both devices. Before it would take over 30 seconds for the iPhone to finish shutting down (You can tell because the home button still clicks) but now with iOS 12 it's done in about 5 seconds.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
If anything, booting iOS 12 is a bit faster than 11 was on both my iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

One thing I noticed is that *shutting down* is MUCH faster on both devices. Before it would take over 30 seconds for the iPhone to finish shutting down (You can tell because the home button still clicks) but now with iOS 12 it's done in about 5 seconds.

They tend to streamline and optimize a lot of the “background action” with each major iOS release. I have always done a clean install following major iOS releases and it has always served me well. I would also agree that *shutting down* has been faster on my iPX w/iOS 12 compared to iOS 11.
[doublepost=1537998937][/doublepost]
Thanks for the replies, I hope Apple are understanding:)

Do you have Apple Care on your iPP or are you still within the one year manufacturer’s warranty?

Last edited:

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
They tend to streamline and optimize a lot of the “background action” with each major iOS release. I have always done a clean install following major iOS releases and it has always served me well. I would also agree that *shutting down* has been faster on my iPX w/iOS 12 compared to iOS 11.
[doublepost=1537998937][/doublepost]

Do you have Apple Care on your iPP or are you still within the one year manufacturer’s warranty?

This is a replacement for a 6 month old Pro that kept shutting down for no reason... I picked it up on Saturday noticed it was slow to boot after doing a DFU install of iOS 12 and then realised I was getting more than my usual share of error logs. I did another DFU install setting the device up as a new machine and the problems are the same..

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I often turn off my iPhone before a movie instead of using do not disturb. It's just a convenient opportunity to reboot the device, which is always a good idea to do occasionally.

OK, I'll bite. I'm a computer scientist who has worked in the defense industry for 18 years. I have no idea why it would be a "good idea to do occasionally". Can you tell me why?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
OK, I'll bite. I'm a computer scientist who has worked in the defense industry for 18 years. I have no idea why it would be a "good idea to do occasionally". Can you tell me why?

Because operating systems tend to have issues after extremely long uptimes.

One good example was my mother's iPhone 5C. She was complaining that it was running a little slow and acting odd. Turns out it had not been rebooted for almost a year, since it was no longer receiving occasional OS updates that would cause a reboot. I told her to restart it, and the problems went away. (I've since given her an iPhone 6)

A perfect, bug free OS would never have issues after being up a long time, but no OS is perfect. Granted, iOS is one of the better ones in this regard, but months of uptime on a heavily used device can eventually bring about problems. Rebooting now and then is a good thing.

Frankly, I'm surprised you wouldn't know this after being in the industry for 18 years. It's the sort of thing that becomes quite obvious if you have any experience with operating systems.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Frankly, I'm surprised you wouldn't know this after being in the industry for 18 years. It's the sort of thing that becomes quite obvious if you have any experience with operating systems.

Not necessarily. At an old job, we had a small "server" (an HP PA-RISC workstation) running a small Oracle database. That machine at one time had not been rebooted for three years, with no issues with it being up so long. And noone noticed that it had been up that long.

This day and age, hopefully, most large IT organizations have a regular maintenance schedule, which handles the reboot after applying new patches. Add in redundant systems and systems being more robust/hardy at the OS level these days, probably less need to reboot. Why we have systems out there with 99.998% uptime. And noone really looks at it being a "just to be safe" reboot.

More likely to have issues with the service(s) running amok (eg. memory leaks) on a server. And probably can handle that by shutting down the service and restarting. But even then, becomes something like above re: regular maintenance schedule.

Now, yes, with something like an iP* device which is a consumer sandboxed environment with little options to do real admin work on them, an occasional reboot helps with poorly designed apps. Personally, I do it once a week, but probably could easily stretch that out to two weeks, once a month, as to date, have not seen any odd device behavior that needs a complete shutdown (the occasional swipe quit/close of an app is enough).

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
So I popped into my local Apple Store this morning to check the slow boot time of my iPad.

The Genius booted his iPad 6 along side my Pro and his started 3 times faster. Following a brief conversation with the lead Genius a nice shiney new iPad was provided which is much quicker. Woohoo.

Reactions: someoneoutthere
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.