Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
The sweet spot is when your old phone breaks. That's a lot longer than 3 years. My iPhone 8 still works great. New battery.
Disagree. My iPhone X technically still works, but it needs to be charged 3x a day, and runs warm all the time. This is not practical for my lifestyle. It needs to be replaced when it's no longer an additive, and becomes a hindrance. I'm going to get the X's battery replaced, and find it a new home.

Fortunately, Apple is really good with software support, and keeps providing updates for a a long time (7yrs typically). So your 8 will probably be good for a couple more years. This is my absolute limit. If I have to, I can see myself pushing until the SW no longer gets updates. beyond that it becomes a compatibility and security risk.

I also still have the iPhone 1 and 4S. They also still work. But they're no longer usable.

Reactions: compwiz1202

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Technology is not going the way of a giant battery. It’s going the way of redesigning the battery and other battery technologies.

Like Samsung is working on stacking battery cells instead of winding them so the same size battery will have more capacity. Apple is probably working on it also. The goal is to have a small battery that can have higher capacity than what’s available now and more efficient. Some of the same tech that’s in EV batteries.

Those Nokia phones had bigger batteries but they weren’t efficient. The hardware wasn’t efficient. It didn’t have to be. It just needed to handled a few tasks.

And you can forget that head phone jack. That ain’t coming back my friend. That’s a waste of space.

Why not both? Nobody is saying the bigger battery should be implemented in the absence of new battery tech, or more efficiency.

I just am sick of the obsession with thin phones when half the phone (the camera area) isn't thin for physics reasons. I'd love a hyper-efficient phone with stacked or winded cells or whatever... but MORE of them. I don't need to be able to use my phone as a straight-razor.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max - I was excited to update due to new color, dynamic island, camera improvements, but...

1) The new colors generally look inferior to iPhone 13 Pro Max - I couldn't tell the Deep Purple apart from Graphite / Space Black in the store. Sierra Blue still looks beauiful

2) Dynamic Island just looks like a new way to do things instead of adding funcitonality

3) I outright don't want always on display

4) Reports of battery life seem mediocre at best relative to the phone I have

5) iPhone 14 Plus, which I could upgrade due to lighter size and good color, seems to be an outright worse phone than my iPhone 13 Pro Max

I find it hard to want to upgrade. I may way until next year - at that point, maybe the "Plus" line will be a big enough upgrade (I still don't know if I want dynamic island or always on display - I basically want to buy the best phone without those two features)
I suggest you have a perfectly fine phone and don't need to upgrade - so don't. Become a biennial upgrader, Apple will still love you, just not quite so much.

Reactions: Theozz

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2017
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max - I was excited to update due to new color, dynamic island, camera improvements, but...

1) The new colors generally look inferior to iPhone 13 Pro Max - I couldn't tell the Deep Purple apart from Graphite / Space Black in the store. Sierra Blue still looks beauiful

2) Dynamic Island just looks like a new way to do things instead of adding funcitonality

3) I outright don't want always on display

4) Reports of battery life seem mediocre at best relative to the phone I have

5) iPhone 14 Plus, which I could upgrade due to lighter size and good color, seems to be an outright worse phone than my iPhone 13 Pro Max

I find it hard to want to upgrade. I may way until next year - at that point, maybe the "Plus" line will be a big enough upgrade (I still don't know if I want dynamic island or always on display - I basically want to buy the best phone without those two features)
Then don't upgrade...

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I can’t see upgrading every year. If you’ve got the money and love to have the newest, that’s cool. No judgement here. I just upgraded to the 14 Pro Max from the standard iPhone 11. It was time though, honestly, the 11 is still a great phone! But I wanted a better camera and better battery life. I’m happy with my new phone and hope I can get 4 years out of it.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
I will say this, I used to be that guy who lined up for the iPhone 3G and go to the store after new hardware releases to check them out. Now I'm just the guy who buys things based solely on specs and timing. Nothing released is so cool it must be looked at and felt in the store.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s basically free to upgrade annually. So why not.
If that was true, everybody would upgrade every year. It’s never free to upgrade and there is always a certain amount of depreciation on all iPhones after a year of use.
You are missing out, this is by far the best feature for the 14 Pro iPhones.
I’ve just upgraded to a 13 Pro Max and seeing as I have an Apple Watch, I don’t have any use for an AOD on an iPhone. That technology also destroyed the battery life on my watch so I’m not that fond of it in all honesty.

mactexas

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2022
I had no intent of upgrading. That was until I left my 13 Pro in the Uber, and gave up getting it back after three days. I went to get a replacement phone and settled on a reduced-price 13 Pro, which I swapped out a few days later for the 14 Pro Max. Since I had to purchase a new phone it made sense to go with the 14 Pro Max in my case.

What I like, and makes it worth upgrading over the 13 Pro and 12 Pro.

1. Dynamic Island
2. 48MP Camera
3. Additional video stability
4. Always-on Display
5. Additional zoom control
6. Additional nits of brightness

I would add the new pill-look, Dynamic Island, is visually appealing over the previous notch. It is a small thing, but for my eye it works well.

Reactions: black_knight

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…[…not a worthy upgrade at all.
I disagree.
The always on display and the dynamic island are solutions looking for problems - completely unnecessary changes that are interesting for an hour or so.

[…]
The solution the AOD resolves is tapping my finger in the screen during the middle of the night. The solution dynamic island resolves is taking advantage of lost space.

Reactions: AlexMac89

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I really don't like the expectation that there should be a reason to upgrade every year. If you have a iPhone 13, you SHOULDN'T see a reason or have any motivation to upgrade to a 14. However, small improvements each year still add up. Wait 3 or 4 years and there will be big differences even though each year the differences seemed minor.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I really don't like the expectation that there should be a reason to upgrade every year. If you have a iPhone 13, you SHOULDN'T see a reason or have any motivation to upgrade to a 14. However, small improvements each year still add up. Wait 3 or 4 years and there will be big differences even though each year the differences seemed minor.

For most the actual cost to upgrade isn’t much when you break it down over the whole year.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Only for one more year of software updates and Tim will force you to upgrade unless you just want to use it as phone and text No more security updates after Sept 2023 with iOS16

My iPhone 6 is still on iOS 12. Guess what? Not hacked.

Do you know anyone whose iPhone was actually hacked?

• Haha
Reactions: chikorita157

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
My iPhone 6 is still on iOS 12. Guess what? Not hacked.

Do you know anyone whose iPhone was actually hacked?
Jeff Bezos for one, then there are countless journalists and dignitaries that get hacked but nobody wants to bragg about that.

Journalists and especially journalists who deal at the United Nations know every transmission from their device is captured as per Snowden. The iPhone is one secure device but not secure enough.

I still have my Note 3 which has a removable battery, but I have moved on to the Pinephone as of late. Believe it or not the preferred phone for past US Presidents was a Samsung S5 I believe. Altered of course but they had to have a removable battery. Important meeting - everyone removes the battery from their phones.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I’ll add one more thing. How did they get Bin Laden? The guy who would usual meet with him forgot to remove his battery from his phone. That was it and Bin Laden’s location was known. See why removable batteries don’t exist anymore except for the super secure phones. Apple should come out with a secure phone with a removable battery for those that need an extra secure phone.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I think you’re in general correct. There isn’t a whole lot that really changed on the 14.

I ended up moving from a 12 mini to a 14 pro. I would have bought a 14 mini. I really just wanted better battery life, and my eyes were needing a larger placement.

I was only going to consider the 14 if they lost the notch, and they lost most of it so I bit. I like the dynamic island, and if they figure out better ways to use it all the better but it’s certainly not mind blowing.

If next near in an ultra or something they loose the notch behind the screen entirely, I would upgrade.

My 14pro battery life has finally calmed down after a couple weeks and seems more solid. It was easy to improve over my 13 mini experience, but yes I don’t think there is really any better life improvement over the 13 at all. This is kind of a fail because they have better more efficient chip, so where is the juice going?

I didn’t deep dive the specs and features so maybe the 14 got a screen improvement that might take that juice saved by the more efficient chip?

(PS: they can track you even without the battery in your phone)

jmc111

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2021
Jeff Bezos for one, then there are countless journalists and dignitaries that get hacked but nobody wants to bragg about that.

Journalists and especially journalists who deal at the United Nations know every transmission from their device is captured as per Snowden. The iPhone is one secure device but not secure enough.

I still have my Note 3 which has a removable battery, but I have moved on to the Pinephone as of late. Believe it or not the preferred phone for past US Presidents was a Samsung S5 I believe. Altered of course but they had to have a removable battery. Important meeting - everyone removes the battery from their phones.
Better yet, I still have a few of those Sony Ericsson cell phones from decades past which I still have the regular sim card (and removable battery). If i need a secure call, I can switch over :) All of these Samsung/iPhones are trackable with the sealed batteries. As for security updates, it's all a game to keep updating so you keep buying new phones.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Better yet, I still have a few of those Sony Ericsson cell phones from decades past which I still have the regular sim card (and removable battery). If i need a secure call, I can switch over :) All of these Samsung/iPhones are trackable with the sealed batteries. As for security updates, it's all a game to keep updating so you keep buying new phones.
They probably won’t work anymore in the States as the old bands have no support. Everyone is tracked now and you have to be a luddite or really work hard on how to stay invisible. But I am surprised Apple doesn’t come out with a super secure phone, it’s not like they don’t have the money to do it. It doesn’t even have to be sold to the public. Anyway that would add something exciting to the iPhone lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.