Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
In terms of my general setup, I work from home and do web design, so sometimes there are large file transfers that take an hour or two. The rest of my usage is streaming services and my PS4 (I don't often play multiplayer). Would you estimate that the DR is sufficient for this setup?

I got a 1Gig connection at home and I believe there is a certain threshold of network speed below which you are not able to see if something is actually faster then anything else. I mean, Netflix starts instantly on my Toshiba TV connected thorough wifi, even F1TV which uses adaptive codec displays only a couple of frames in lowres for a fraction of a second and then goes HD. On the other hand, I upload mostly to my clients storage using VPN, so it is slow by nature. OK, it takes about 3 minutes to put a full ISO image of Ubuntu server (1.5 gigabytes) onto ESXi storage of a client of mine with a VPN connection. Not exactly slow, methinks.
Measure your current network speeds, a couple of times, with different servers, using a wired connection to the router. Perhaps measure it to the location of your uploads? Ask the admin if he's able to set up an iperf3 server temporarily. If you are anything below 600mbps average, you may be well served with a DR.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
TP-Link Deco S4 mesh router. But I think there is a newer model. During covid when everyone's internet was hammered -- This thing helped so much

May take a look at their routers, thanks. Never really thought about trying TP-Link, does the app let you assign certain times of the day when certain devices can access the internet?

Reactions: RoboCop001

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I got a 1Gig connection at home and I believe there is a certain threshold of network speed below which you are not able to see if something is actually faster then anything else. I mean, Netflix starts instantly on my Toshiba TV connected thorough wifi, even F1TV which uses adaptive codec displays only a couple of frames in lowres for a fraction of a second and then goes HD. On the other hand, I upload mostly to my clients storage using VPN, so it is slow by nature. OK, it takes about 3 minutes to put a full ISO image of Ubuntu server (1.5 gigabytes) onto ESXi storage of a client of mine with a VPN connection. Not exactly slow, methinks.
Measure your current network speeds, a couple of times, with different servers, using a wired connection to the router. Perhaps measure it to the location of your uploads? Ask the admin if he's able to set up an iperf3 server temporarily. If you are anything below 600mbps average, you may be well served with a DR.

Good to know! I haven't done a wired speed test, but my service is rated 75Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Generally I get around 70 down and 10 up (wireless).

That's definitely under 600 hahah. But everything runs well. I can download large files and stream things at the same time without noticeable quality/speed loss. Plus my TV is only 1080p, so I'm sure that helps.

Reactions: hwojtek

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
While a great piece of kit (I run a UDM Pro at home) the UDM Pro SE is an overkill for a "just works" home environment IMHO. And it calls for a server rack ;)
We're talking router, the Unifi Apps (video surveillance etc) are an added bonus in this case. My observations in regards of the DR are ~750 Mbps with all security turned to the max. Admittedly, it took a couple of firmware upgrades to reach that, albeit it is said to be resolved now. For $199 it is still one of the best options on the market.

Great point about Wifi6 in Dream Machine, but apart from local transfers I do not notice any improvement with Wifi6 compared to 802.11ac. The distance to the AP is crucial in this case.

You can stick it on a shelf if you want, don’t need a server rack, I’ve seen some just put them on tops of side tables etc and even plonk an access point just on top of it lol. I still don’t think the UDR is a good option having had one, it just seems way underpowered especially compared to the standard UDM. I think an Alien may be better in that case, but the UDR will look a lot better if it’s in plain sight.

Last edited:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You can stick it on a shelf if you want, don’t need a server rack, I’ve seen some just put them on tops of side tables etc and even plonk an access point just in top of it lol. I still don’t think the UDR is a good option having had one, it just seems way underpowered especially compared to the standard UDM. I think an Alien may be better in that case, but the UDR will look a lot better if it’s in plain sight.

Thanks for your insight. I'll try to do a thorough comparison of the UDM, UDR, and Alien. I was leaning more heavily towards an Alien, though yeah... does seem like overkill for my needs at first glance.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Thanks for your insight. I'll try to do a thorough comparison of the UDM, UDR, and Alien. I was leaning more heavily towards an Alien, though yeah... does seem like overkill for my needs at first glance.

No problem. For me I think I will consider the Alien Mesh system, the TP Link Deco XE75 and the new Google Mesh system when it's out, and any new Amplifi system that comes out if it's this year, I have not heard anything about any new models though.

Reactions: RoboCop001

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I got some good ideas from here, but anything new in the last few months I should consider? I was actually looking at the Eero 6E with 2 units

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I got some good ideas from here, but anything new in the last few months I should consider? I was actually looking at the Eero 6E with 2 units

I'm basically avoiding another eero because of my current experience with it. What are you using now? I haven't decided on a purchase yet.

Reactions: jjk454ss

Elmo1938

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
OK. I have an ancient Verizon router[no longer offered or supported].My problem is that I have 30+ homekit gadgets connected to the old router. Is there a router that will permit me to keep the same network name and password?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
OK. I have an ancient Verizon router[no longer offered or supported].My problem is that I have 30+ homekit gadgets connected to the old router. Is there a router that will permit me to keep the same network name and password?

What is that router Wi-Fi, B or N on your device? Some voters might have the secondary frequency that your devices need!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I don't have a need for a mesh, so I use a Netgate for a firewall and a Google Nest for WiFi. It covers two 1800 sq ft floors with ease. If I needed mesh, I would use the Google Nest as the router, as it cannot do mesh if it's not doing routing (poor choice Google). I've been really happy with it, though, despite that one limitation.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I don't know of a consumer-purchased router or WAP that won't allow you to customize the WiFi SSID and password.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What is that router Wi-Fi, B or N on your device? Some voters might have the secondary frequency that your devices need!
Almost all WiFi routers and/or WAPs will downgrade to 802.11b, if necessary.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You're asking the wrong person. I was commenting that most, if not all, routers and WAPs will downgrade to 802.11b if needed. I think you're replying to @Elmo1938 .

es because if these devices only run B is SOL in todays world with such older devices! Now your best bet is to turn of NAT in your old router and get a new Wi-Fi 6 wires router and if you turn of NSAT then you can still use it to power such older equipment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.