Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
es because if these devices only run B is SOL in todays world with such older devices! Now your best bet is to turn of NAT in your old router and get a new Wi-Fi 6 wires router and if you turn of NSAT then you can still use it to power such older equipment!
Again, wrong person.

• Angry
Reactions: satcomer

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Apple sells (or had been selling) Linksys Velop routers in its stores - some of them are even HomeKit-centric.

I've been considering them, or perhaps their Atlas line, as they can be found at reasonable prices.

Reactions: RoboCop001

hobla

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
I can recommend the Synology stuff, reliable and solid software – I use that to replace the Apple WiFi stuff. The MR2200ac is usually fast enough and can mesh, the RT2600ac has a stronger signal for just a bit more $. I'm sure the newer stuff is as good, but I haven't tried that.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I can recommend the Synology stuff, reliable and solid software – I use that to replace the Apple WiFi stuff. The MR2200ac is usually fast enough and can mesh, the RT2600ac has a stronger signal for just a bit more $. I'm sure the newer stuff is as good, but I haven't tried that.

In your experience, how have they performed after an internet outage? Once your internet comes back, does the router reconnect quickly? (in comparison to my eero, which I've had to reboot because it doesn't reconnect automatically for some reason).

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I can thoroughly recommend the RT6600ax. I replaced my Meraki gear with it. MR32, MX64 and MS220P-8 as my CMNA subscription ran out and don't work at Meraki Partner anymore.

Is a 1 bedroom flat and covers the whole flat whilst segmenting up for multiple networks.

DSL Steve

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2005
Get an Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien. One of two routers Apple sells: https://www.apple.com/shop/accessories/all/mesh-wifi-networking.

Built to last with internal fan cooling.

[From my other post:]

Finally retired my last generation (ac) Airport Extreme after 10 years of extremely reliable service.

It's still working fine so I'll keep it as a backup. Since I work from home, didn't want to wait till it failed. After 10 years, it owes me nothing.

Replaced it with an Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

hobla

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
In your experience, how have they performed after an internet outage? Once your internet comes back, does the router reconnect quickly? (in comparison to my eero, which I've had to reboot because it doesn't reconnect automatically for some reason).
They reconnect just fine, boot time is a few minutes though.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
They reconnect just fine, boot time is a few minutes though.

Good to know. Oh, another thing. The eero iOS app becomes totally unusable if there's no internet connection (meaning I can't adjust router settings or see anything about my network). Does Synology have an app? And if so, does it work without a connection? (weirdest thing I've ever seen, why would it need a connection lol)

hobla

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Good to know. Oh, another thing. The eero iOS app becomes totally unusable if there's no internet connection (meaning I can't adjust router settings or see anything about my network). Does Synology have an app? And if so, does it work without a connection? (weirdest thing I've ever seen, why would it need a connection lol)
Yes, the app is called DS router and works well, including the complete setup (without internet)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just last night replaced four AirPort Extremes (the tall 802.11ac ones) with an Orbi RBKE963 wifi 6E mesh system. Overpriced for sure, but between the basestation and the two wireless satellites (using wireless backhaul, no less), I get much faster speeds than I did with the AirPort Extremes -- and I even had those connected with a gigabit ethernet backhaul.

Overall coverage around my property seems at least as good, if not better. I'm still testing it out, but none of my outdoor wifi cameras have disconnected yet, so all seems at least as good.

I definitely paid a premium for the wifi 6E capability, and at the moment only have two devices that can make use of it, but more will be added as time goes on, I'm sure.

But even the wifi 5 devices are seeing an improvement. My iPad Mini 6 went from under 300Mbit/sec to over 425Mbit/sec.

The only missing feature is a USB port on the wifi router to connect a network drive, but I'll probably reconnect one of the AirPorts for that, turn off its wifi network, and just use it as a bridge to get a small drive on the network for secondary Time Machine backups.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Reviving this thread I hope… I have a 2-node eero Pro 6 running for years now. What I’ve noticed over the past few months is our Apple Watches, ultra 2 and series 8, drop their WiFi connections at times. They don’t auto reconnect either.

I’ve asked eero support about this and I get nothing. So I too am looking for a 2 or 3 node mesh system. Have the ability to Ethernet backhaul all nodes so wireless can be dedicated to the devices of which I have 50+ so far.

Eero has been good for most but these little things like watches not staying connected is annoying. BTW I did try a 2-node tp-link XE75 WiFi 6e and the coverage and range left lots to be desired on my 2200 sq foot single story home.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Reviving this thread I hope… I have a 2-node eero Pro 6 running for years now. What I’ve noticed over the past few months is our Apple Watches, ultra 2 and series 8, drop their WiFi connections at times. They don’t auto reconnect either.

I’ve asked eero support about this and I get nothing. So I too am looking for a 2 or 3 node mesh system. Have the ability to Ethernet backhaul all nodes so wireless can be dedicated to the devices of which I have 50+ so far.

Eero has been good for most but these little things like watches not staying connected is annoying. BTW I did try a 2-node tp-link XE75 WiFi 6e and the coverage and range left lots to be desired on my 2200 sq foot single story home.

I've got that tp-link and I've been happy with it, but maybe that's just showing how terrible my old Google Nest setup was. My house is about your size, except two stories, and I'm getting 100Mbps at worst. That's in spots where my Google routers were dropping out completely. I wouldn't mind if it went a little further out into my yard, but that seems like a minor quibble.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I've got that tp-link and I've been happy with it, but maybe that's just showing how terrible my old Google Nest setup was. My house is about your size, except two stories, and I'm getting 100Mbps at worst. That's in spots where my Google routers were dropping out completely. I wouldn't mind if it went a little further out into my yard, but that seems like a minor quibble.
Is your xe75 mesh a 2 or 3 node system? I may try it again here and give it a full shakedown. I like eero but is such a closed system.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Is your xe75 mesh a 2 or 3 node system? I may try it again here and give it a full shakedown. I like eero but is such a closed system.

3, but the 3rd is basically just for show. It's only ever connected to a couple of devices that will occasionally switch to one of the others anyway. I had 4 nodes before and assumed 3 was going to be my minimum. I'd be fine with 2.

Reactions: whsbuss

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

Why not spend the extra and get the XE85 and WiFi 7? Ignore any You Tube reviews of it as TP Link dictate what can be said about their products unless the reviewer has purchased it of course, but online reviews are favourable with it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Almost every router does what you ask for.
Some nice things about Asus routers is that
  1. You do not need to make an Asus account to use them. You would be surprised how uncommon this it.
  2. Open-source software is available for them if you want it.
  3. You can mix and match router models to make a mesh network, so when you upgrade later, you can put your old router to use. (Of course, the extended area will only have the network capabilities of the old router.)
  4. They have a good iPhone app and a web interface for management. It is simple or you can dig into details and set up "black lists", routing tables, and so on.
  5. new firmware is regularly released.
If you do need to expand coverage do NOT use WiFi for backhaul. You want a system that allows you to use Ethernet. So avid those extenders that just plug into a wall outlet. They use WiFi.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I don't know what eero model you had trouble with, but I replaced my Airport Extreme with an eero 6 Pro the cost was $119.00. It's eero's 2020 version, but so far has worked super nice for me. I especially love the iphone app which gives me great control and information on every device attached to my network. Not a single drop yet almost 2 weeks in and the speeds are so much faster than my Airport Extreme. Just my experience so far.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I don't know what eero model you had trouble with, but I replaced my Airport Extreme with an eero 6 Pro the cost was $119.00. It's eero's 2020 version, but so far has worked super nice for me. I especially love the iphone app which gives me great control and information on every device attached to my network. Not a single drop yet almost 2 weeks in and the speeds are so much faster than my Airport Extreme. Just my experience so far.
Yes I had the 6 pro as well. I had it for 20 months and started dropping connections. Not every day but at random. Using the tplink xe75 now.

Reactions: kenny1wk

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Yes I had the 6 pro as well. I had it for 20 months and started dropping connections. Not every day but at random. Using the tplink xe75 now.
I hope your new router works out great for you. What's funny, I tried a TP Link AX3000 wi fi 6 router a couple years ago and it constantly lost connections for me in the first 3 weeks. I ended up going back to my Airport Extreme until just 2 weeks ago , when I tried an older eero 6 Pro.

Reactions: whsbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.