Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bought an air tag to use with my wallet. I set it up and found a spot to place it in my wallet.
The problem is every time I sit down the AirTag resets.
I need a wallet a little thicker and rigid.
Any one use the air tag this way.

calliex

jjwwqq

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2022
It’d be really nice if AirTags were much thinner for wallets, or if they created a wallet specific AirTag.

Reactions: compwiz1202

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
In worst scenario you can play with DIY and have “AirTag card” like this

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
If you keep you wallet in your back pocket will the air tag reset when you sit down?
That was the problem I had with my standard wallet.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Well I've had my wallet in my right back pocket for 50 years. My front pockets have iPhone, keys, change, etc. and I do not carry a purse. So guess the answer is no.
Yeah - the solution of this is the elimination of the wallet...hopefully within the next 5 years we can finally get all of the plastic in our wallets digitally on our phones...go cashless and no longer have the need.

And after 2 years you have to replace it with new one for half the price… nah

There's being frugal, then there's just being unrealistically cheap :D

In worst scenario you can play with DIY and have “AirTag card” like this

That DIY example is 3.8mm thick - the Chipolo Card Spot is 2.4mm thick - pretty much a no-brainer as to which is the better option for your wallet.

I'm actually in the same boat (right back pocket) - and, yes, over 50 :) - so may yet splurge and get one of these. :)

Last edited:

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
One of the issues of getting older. I am a cash guy, rarely use plastic. I am a cable guy, do not get streaming. (remember when TV not only was free but less commercials). Tap water was fine didn't have to tote it from store.

Reactions: fischersd

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I use a tri fold leather wallet with the AirTag in the money slot tucked into a corner. I also have my wallet in my back right pocket and sit on it all the time and have never had the AirTag reset itself.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
Dooes anyone have the Chipolo card? Does it have a button to "alert" your phone like the Tile credit card thing does? Sometimes when I sit on my wallet my phone starts to yell because I sat on the Tile button.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’ve been using this one for about 7 months and never had a reset. I like it.

8C339DF1-183B-4E5E-8FF6-8BEC6614641F.jpeg

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Dooes anyone have the Chipolo card? Does it have a button to "alert" your phone like the Tile credit card thing does? Sometimes when I sit on my wallet my phone starts to yell because I sat on the Tile button.
Yes, I have the Chipolo card - the only button it has is to kick off the bluetooth pairing when it hasn't been activated. No issues with it in my wallet. :)

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

rhoadesel

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
I have a a ridge wallet I really like the wallet, I just saw they make a carbon fiber airtag case you can attach. I may pick one up. currently I dont have an airtag on/in my wallet just my keys and some pelican cases.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I have a a ridge wallet I really like the wallet, I just saw they make a carbon fiber airtag case you can attach. I may pick one up. currently I dont have an airtag on/in my wallet just my keys and some pelican cases.

I got the ridge wallet with the AirTag case for Christmas. Unfortunately, the screwdriver came defective so I haven't been able to attach it yet (or replace the cash strap with the money clip I also got). I'm trying to get a replacement screwdriver. I like the Ridge wallet though.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I moved my wallet to a front pocket years ago and couldn’t be happier. Cut way down on the amount of crap I carried.

I cut down the number of keys I carry, do I really need to have two shed keys, back door key, mother’s house key, daughter’s house key, etc ? Nope.

Depending on what pants I’m wearing, the iPhone goes in the back and is removed when I sit, or my left front pocket which I intentionally leave empty.

I’m currently considering an Apple wallet and a money clip.

Neil.gtis

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2021
England
iPhone in right front , wallet and glasses in left front , car keys in right back
Hankie / tissues in left back
Neil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.