Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivan86

Contributor
Feb 24, 2016
Moscow / Berlin
Hi.

I am looking for a finance/money management app. What do you all recommend? Would like to be able to balance checkbook, create a budget, keep track of spending, etc. My husband and I use to use Quicken but it seems that they really only support Windows now.

Thanks for your replies!

Take a look at Alzex Finance.

I have just moved all my finance stuff from Excel tables and Google Sheets to this (after trying several finance apps, such as Money Wiz, that just simply did not stick and were somehow too confusing and just much slower to work with).

Advantages and just some of the awesome features that I love:
- support on all major platforms (macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, iPadOS)
- great and simple design, easy to understand
- very thorough but also short documentation (it literally takes 2 hours to get to know everything that app can do)
- database files can be kept anywhere and take very little space
- Pro version supports multiple users working with the same database and having access to stuff / accounts that the person needs access too (when you open the database you can select which user you want to enter it as / put in password for that user)
- not sure how exactly, but database support multiple people working on it at the same time, while placed at the regular cloud storage (Have tested this with my wife and colleague, while database file was on Nextcloud shared folder and also shared via iCloud Drive. Entries were added at the same time and edited too and all changes were stored / synced between devices users). Taking all the functionality the app provides I could live without this, but it is great indeed.
- app supports opening and working with multiple databases simultaneously (like demo database / family database / business database etc)
- easy to budget
- easy to track borrowed / lended money
- great and very flexible reports
- it just works and makes total sense to me

At the moment I have managed to find only one thing that did not work flawlessly -> drag and drop of various set categories from one database to another (to create some “database” templates ready to use for friends / colleagues) once worked straight away, but than did not really work. I have tested that once, was amazed that that was even possible and than continued exploring the app. Will take a look at this functionality again at some point and maybe submit a “bug report” or ask the devs to make sure that dragging / copying stuff from one database to another is possible. That would be just … fully awesome.

Seriously - this is literally the best and most useful application that I have discovered in 2023.

I have checked many finance apps throughout the years and none came close to filling my desires for the finance app…

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Check out MoneyWiz.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I tried Greenbooks but had problems with it and sync. It'd periodically trash some of my transactions.

I'm back on Numbers now using the same spreadsheet I have had since 1986 approximately!

I have nothing to add that will help the OP, but... to this day, I still use a version of the budgeting spreadsheet I created in Excel, at my first job after college... That was 30 years ago. :p

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for your replies. A lot of great suggestions to look at. :)

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Hi.

I am looking for a finance/money management app. What do you all recommend? Would like to be able to balance checkbook, create a budget, keep track of spending, etc. My husband and I use to use Quicken but it seems that they really only support Windows now.

Thanks for your replies!
Copilot is pretty popular and there’s native apps for both Mac and iOS. I gave it a fair shake, but eventually settled on Monarch, which is web first, but has a really nice iOS app too.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I started using MS Money in the very early 2000 and I am still using it in a Parallels ARM VM.
I have been looking to move many times and then decided that it still does exactly what I need, so why bother? 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: diego.caraballo

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Having been a user of Quicken and Banktivity, another vote for See Finance 2 from me. It has been rock solid and has great stock price syncing.

Reactions: kgphotos

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I’m really happy with YNAB. Best ever solution in case you need to keep focus on budgeting.
This one is great for personal, I've used it and its great.

Am sticking around this thread to see recommendations for Business management financial apps..

Reactions: LRHogFan

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I switched to See Finance years ago when Intuit abandoned the Mac. I've been happy with it ever since.

How does syncing work between iOS app and Mac version?

Edit: nvm, i see the answer is iCloud Syncing

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Switched from the Windows (under Parallels) version of Quicken to the Mac native version. Took a bit of adjusting but found that I actually prefer it. Does everything I need.

what were the big things that you found different? I need to download the Mac version and give it a go to see if it works for me as well as the Windows version does

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
For all you that provided recommendations, do you know if the product provides projected cash flow? For example - I provide projected income over the next year and expenses, and it will tell me how much I add or subtract from my bank account? It was something that was missing in nearly every product I looked at several years ago. Seems basic to me.

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
I started using MS Money in the very early 2000 and I am still using it in a Parallels ARM VM.
I have been looking to move many times and then decided that it still does exactly what I need, so why bother? 🤣
i’ve Done the same thing but find its a bit unstable & I’ve had better success with Crossover. Any advice on getting it working better in Parallels would be appreciated.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
I love GreenBooks, it has been reliable for me, simple, and so easy to understand the state of your finances with its breakdown and trends features.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Copilot (at copilot.money) has been an incredibly good app to use. Very Apple-esque and just an amazing company so far to work with, their customer service is top notch. Works amazing on my iPhone and Mac, worth the yearly fee. No, I have no affiliation with the company.

Reactions: Zaydax333

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Really? Was just on their site comparing plans and it seems like more Windows support than Mac. It's been a while since we used Quicken. From what I remembered it was good. But like I said the "Compare Plans" page didn't seem to list much for Apple support- just a Windows icon. I know they make a desktop app.

I just remember after I typed this... Banktivity! Seems like a great app. Mac and iOS. Anyone use this? Pro/Cons?
I tested Banktivity and Quicken, settled on Quicken. I liked Banktivity - it did a good job of syncing most of my accounts. But the reporting left something to be desired; I had a hard time gathering tax info. Plus it’s actually MORE expensive than Quicken Classic.

There are things Banktivity does better - syncing apps on multiple computers, for example. With Quicken only one computer is intended to have the “app”, everywhere else should be the website. For me, that wasn’t a problem but it certainly could be for some.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
i’ve Done the same thing but find its a bit unstable & I’ve had better success with Crossover. Any advice on getting it working better in Parallels would be appreciated.
The only problem I experience from time to time is that the cursor can disappear when I open the drop down list to select the category for the expense/deposit.
It is a random thing, and when it happens I just click somewhere outside of the box and usually it fixes itself.
Apart from that, no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.