Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
I’m looking to move away from Apple by selling all my existing Apple products and replacing them with other products. Currently I have an Apple TV 4th gen, iMac 2020, iPhone 12 Pro, iPadPro2020 12.9in, Apple Watch Series 4, and Airport Time Capsule. Would appreciate any suggestions on transitioning and any product suggestions in replacing any of those devices. So far my thoughts:

IMac - windows 11, no idea on hardware at this point
iphone 12 Pro - Samsung Galaxy S21+ or Galaxy S21 Ultra
Apple TV Replacement - Probably not necessary
Apple Watch - ?
iPad Pro- ?
Airport - ?

Thanks for your feedback.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Sure, you'll get suggestions here, but honestly - why ask here? I mean, there's plenty of haters who just hang around to go "har har" to the Apple lovers, but - go find a Windows/PC/etc based forum, and get informed suggestions from people who aren't invested in "the other side".

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
They're not exact equivalents but, since I find aios lacking in the PC space I'd probably lean towards replacing the iMac and iPad Pro with a singular device like a Surface Book 3 or something.

Galaxy Watch is pretty decent and an obvious pairing if you buy a Galaxy phone and will provide the same basic functionality. It also looks neat.

Our Amplifi Alien is the best wireless router we've used but its very expensive. Still, highly recommended and keeps that same vertical form factor. Pairs well with our fiber.

For my part. Mixed ecosystem works well. I doubt I'll buy another Mac but quite like my iPhone, Watch, and Airpods. Why replace everything you own?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
iMac - probably some sort of tower PC with a nice monitor. Windows AIOs are not such nice packages IMO. I suppose if money is no object and you like it well enough a surface studio is quite good, though now very outdated.

iPP - if you just want a couch browsing device how about a Surface Pro or Surface Pro X? Other than that there’s few direct alternatives with a ‘rich tablet ecosystem’. Are you really that set on ZERO Apple or could you maybe keep this one device?

Apple TV - a fire stick or Roku or the like would probably be more than adequate if you are simply after a Netflix and YouTube streaming device.

Apple Watch - what do you use it for? If fitness is your primary use then a Fitbit should do nicely.

Reactions: Mikeeee

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Sure, you'll get suggestions here, but honestly - why ask here? I mean, there's plenty of haters who just hang around to go "har har" to the Apple lovers, but - go find a Windows/PC/etc based forum, and get informed suggestions from people who aren't invested in "the other side".

Good point. I started here just because I noticed this sub forum and since people are also familiar with the Apple capabilities, I gave it a shot.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Don't see any real reason to replace an iPad or Apple TV if you already have them. Not much of a better tablet experience than iPad and the ATV is already a sunk cost, so I don't see what you really gain going to a Roku or something else like that.

For the Time Capsule, I'd go with an Eero Pro 6 if I were starting from scratch today.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Apple Watch - ?
iPad Pro- ?
Airport - ?

Wait for new devices to come out. Great trade-in deals for smartphones.

Galaxy Fold 3 maybe? not the now older S21 series.

14" Windows laptop with touch or Surface Pro 8 (Sept/Oct)

WiFi 6E. I'm using Netgear and pleased.

GW4 watch?

SamMobile, Windows Central, Android Central forum... Samsung will be showcasing it's lineup on 11th so days away. Microsoft has theirs I think in Sept.

Review: XPG's Xenia 14 is the best laptop so far from the new PC brand. https://www.windowscentral.com/xpg-xenia-14-review

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I would definitely go for what’s closest to the Apple experience: get the hardware from the guys that did the software. Microsoft Surface and Google Pixel. Just for that reason alone. And they’re not too bad these days.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I moved to Samsung/Android/Windows/Fire TV Stick but keep all my Apple stuff as backups. If something breaks it's nice to have a backup--plus I spent the money.

I'm lucky to have been such a techno geek since 2010 that I got heavily invested in every system out there (including Windows Phone and BlackBerry, Lord rest their souls) so I'm not affected by ecosystem lock-in.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I’m looking to move away from Apple by selling all my existing Apple products

It would probably help more to understand why. Not to dissuade you, there is a majority of sensible, frequent posters in this area that will help. Many of us use a mix of Apple and others.

For example, if your 'main' issue is iMac/macOS then replace it, but other items such as iPad remain best in class whether you are a fan of Apple or not. Again it all depends on your reasons.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I can't speak of the OP but I discovered the Galaxy S20 FE 5G which really brought my love of Samsung's classic phones back in a more modern sense (plastic back, nice UI, themed to skeuo) and then a Galaxy Watch 3, and I started liking Windows 11 so went to a Windows laptop after the experience of Big Sur, and then the last thing was my ATV constantly trying to annoy me to update when I don't believe in software updates so the Fire Stick I had lying around was the only option since it never forces updates down my throat, doesn't even support the latest FireOS so it can't get updates if it wanted to, and has support for the Apple TV app so all my subscriptions transfer over.

I already preferred my 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 over my iPad. However I keep everything since It might be useful down the road.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It would probably help more to understand why. Not to dissuade you, there is a majority of sensible, frequent posters in this area that will help. Many of us use a mix of Apple and others.

For example, if your 'main' issue is iMac/macOS then replace it, but other items such as iPad remain best in class whether you are a fan of Apple or not. Again it all depends on your reasons.
I think the counterpoint to the 'ecosystem works well together' argument is that once you start pulling certain devices out of the set up it creates problems that encourage ditching the other linked devices for alternatives.

So if OP has simply decided to move away from iPhones, as that's the one he has a concrete idea for, you lose the watch by default, and it's also quite difficult to manage/ backup an Android phone with a Mac, so you'll probably want a Windows computer for that. Then if you're out of those it raises questions over whether Apple services/ subscriptions are worth it any longer, dragging the TV into the argument.

So I can easily see how OP can come to the conclusion they want to wholesale exit, not just swap out a couple of devices.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I don't have that issue. Going from my 6S to my S20 FE (the music from the 6S was transferred from my NAS to my Mac to my iPhone--basically a copy of what I've owned in MP3 format since 2010) I still have all my music, apps, data. I keep it backed up in many ways. I dabbled in every OS out of curiosity so I always had feature and app parity.

My Fire TV Stick also works with Apple TV app, so all the things my ATV did work on the device. My Windows laptop can do better continuity/handoff than my Mac, since I can actually run Android apps from the connected phone as if native apps, something even the Mac cannot even do. I even took a phone call on Windows when my phone was in another room. Just like on a Mac.

I seem to do at least as much, if not more, than what I could with Apple. Maybe I was just better prepared, but I have all the same stuff, and I don't have the iMessage 'capturing phone number so you don't get texts on Android' bug like so many do.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017

Couple of reasons. I am a techy by heart. I used to love tinkering with all my technology to make it all work together. Apple obviously removed that. I’ve been Apple exclusive for the last 20 years. I probably spent $20k just in the last 10 years. Apple really pissed me off recently how they handled a return. So I decided it’s probably not a good idea to lock into 1 vendor, because with a walled off garden, you rely too much on that 1 vendor to do the right thing.

So I decided to go back to multiple vendors and tinkering with my gadgets. Bonus is I’ll probably save 60+% (maybe more) on my technology needs going forward. Plus it’s a great opportunity to catch up on the non-Apple tech world.

Budgiemac

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2021
If you rather a plastic windows computer then dell sells some cool stuff. Hp, alien-wear. I honestly go back and forth from Windows 10 to Mac os and i like them both, but mac is so much more common sence to me.

• Haha
Reactions: iHorseHead

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

I think this is actually a pretty good place to at least start. A lot of people here are quite aware of what else is out there are more Mac users who also have to run Windows because a certain program is only available for Windows than there are Windows users who need to also run OS X.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
PC AIOs are usually poor products. Built cheaply, poor spec, and lackluster ports. Get yourself a nice tower if your setup supports it, in some ways it's better than an iMac because if your setup is right you have instant access to the ports on the front of the case. Any good PC case has at least some ports on the front. If you have to move your desktop from location to location it becomes a pain, but if not it's a minor issue to lose the AIO form factor.

I love being able to swap parts as I go. I can have the same CPU for as long as it lasts but swap out the monitor, GPU, RAM, speakers, and son on. Mac Pro is just not cost effective even if you're willing to pay the Apple tax, so this remains the best option for this setup. I cannot use modern macOS effectively so I've been spending more time on PC and finding it does just about everything I'd want it to. Some of the built in Windows apps are trash but if you find good alternatives you can build a powerful operational platform.

I no longer use a smartphone for anything, no need for one here. I still have my 6S but it's dormant. I like the iPad but I use it less and less with time, and I can't quite say why...

There is no reason to replace your Time Capsule unless you desire newer WiFi hardware or hard drive. That hardware will work just fine with any setup as long as you format it. It's just NAS.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Since COVID I've become far less dependent on my smartphone. A lot of my needs are possible on something old such as the Galaxy S Relay, but I do use my S20 FE for fitness tracking and modern apps that don't work on the older stuff. S Relay is still fun to text on though.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I’m looking to move away from Apple by selling all my existing Apple products and replacing them with other products. Currently I have an Apple TV 4th gen, iMac 2020, iPhone 12 Pro, iPadPro2020 12.9in, Apple Watch Series 4, and Airport Time Capsule. Would appreciate any suggestions on transitioning and any product suggestions in replacing any of those devices. So far my thoughts:

Apple Watch - ?
iPad Pro- ?
Airport - ?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have pretty much almost everything Samsung and Apple.

S21 Ultra over S21, but honestly you can't lose with either.

I would recommend custom building desktop, but it's the complete opposite of a buyers market with the latest GPUs. So I would recommend a site like NXZT where you pick the parts and they build it for you.

Since you only have a 4th gen Apple TV, it would be better for you to get the Chromecast TV (the one with the remote) as it does 4K with HDR, the UI is pretty good, and you can't beat the price. I personally have Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, and Chromecast TV. I'm not a huge fan of the Roku UI. If you had the Apple TV 4k, then I would had suggested you keep it. Or if you're satisfied with 1080p, then just keep the 4th gen.

Well a day from now, Samsung should introduce the latest Galaxy watch, which rumors suggest Samsung has worked closely with Google to supposedly have a lot more app integration. So I would wait for that announcement to make a decision. Avoid Wear OS watches though, it sucks compared to Samsung and Apple watches.

iPad Pro is also something you might want to keep. IMO, Samsung S7+ tab is the closest you'll get to it.
I personally have the S7+ tab and iPad 5 mini. I never had an iPad Pro.

Ampilfi Alien Router is probably the best router to replace the Airport. It's a little expensive but completely worth it. I think it was design or engineered by an ex Apple guy. It's the router I'm use coming from an Airport extreme time capsule, and I couldn't be happier with it.

BTW .... If you have Airpods of any kind, the Galaxy Buds Live is the best replacement, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
There is no reason to replace your Time Capsule unless you desire newer WiFi hardware or hard drive. That hardware will work just fine with any setup as long as you format it. It's just NAS.

Well the dependency Airport has for only using Apple products to gain access to the settings can be an issue if the OP actually does get rid of all Apple devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.