Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CANXOR

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
people who feel that Apple was invading their privacy, and wanting to access data on their devices without their permissions.
In what way would Apple be invading their privacy, or accessing data on their devices without their permission?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In what way would Apple be invading their privacy, or accessing data on their devices without their permission?
Amid backlash, Apple will change photo-scanning plan but won’t drop it completely

Apple previously announced that devices with iCloud Photos enabled will scan images before they are uploaded to iCloud. Given that an iPhone uploads every photo to iCloud right after it is taken, the scanning of new photos would happen almost immediately if a user has previously turned iCloud Photos on.

Edit: let me add that when this thread was created, Apple had announced and subsequently dug their heels in on this move even though there was a lot of backlash - particularly from the same folks that Apple courted and catered too when they marketed themselves as a security and privacy minded company.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Seems to me that Apple does not want computer users as their main customers.
They are developing for those who want "fast, simple and who cares about that extra step
as long as it look nice and very light and our image is mainstream"

case in point is when you save a video clip online,
Windows titles that clip with a proper name like "KBLandscaping_1:02.mp4"
instead of "RP_replayfinaleverynumberknowntohumanbeings.mp4"which apple does.
i cannot use anything apple when creating video clips for our company unless i rename every one.

this might be a mundane quest or process
but still important little things makes companies better than others.

PC World ran a video created by intel interviewing apple lovers which was interesting.
I'm sure that will get a lot of backlash here soon.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
PC World ran a video created by intel interviewing apple lovers which was interesting.

The Apple fans won't be able to get past it being created by intel in order to watch it, however, that said it offers nothing new really. Many if not most users of Apple devices know the issues just like they probably know the issues on the PC side for them that makes Apple more compelling on balance.

There will always be those that will defend Apple to their last breath and would pay them $20 for a single-use bag if it had their logo on it, some would call it innovative.

Reactions: MBAir2010

CANXOR

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
Amid backlash, Apple will change photo-scanning plan but won’t drop it completely

Edit: let me add that when this thread was created, Apple had announced and subsequently dug their heels in on this move even though there was a lot of backlash - particularly from the same folks that Apple courted and catered too when they marketed themselves as a security and privacy minded company.
There are significant restrictions on the type of data that Apple has access to on the iPhone. I wouldn't really call it an invasion of privacy if Apple knows nothing about it until there is actually something worth knowing about.

The white paper about Apple's CSAM feature indicates that Apple won't actually be able to learn anything about non-CSAM images--they will learn only about CSAM images, and even then there is a threshold of positive matches that need to be made against an encrypted, on-device database (which the user nor Apple can actually access on the device) for that to happen.

Seems rather tinfoil hat-ish to abandon an entire ecosystem over that feature. In fact, if somebody is willing to go to those lengths, it kind of looks like they have something to hide (not saying that they actually do, but it would raise eyebrows).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I'm on my last piece of Apple hardware, my 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave.
For me it is more of a matter of principal and not liking where Apple is moving. I paid thousands in software and hardware that has been slowly breaking with each OS version up to Mojave. I know if I move beyond it, its a done deal.
Windows has a magical option called "compatibility mode", I really wish MacOS would just give us this instead of killing everything 32-Bit and soon-to-be Intel.

It's been slow going. I first shed my iPhone when the iOS required Sierra to sync with iTunes and some software kept me on Mavericks for a while. From there I gave my MBP to a friend and replaced it with a Galaxy Book Pro.
I realize security updates will end shortly with Mojave so I'm migrating everything to other browsers and abandoning Safari all together soon.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm perfectly fine now with my tablets (Samsung Galaxy note 10.1, 8.0, Tab 2 10.1, 7.0) smartphones (Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note II) and my TV platform (Amazon Fire TV Stick). All the same stuff, all the same services, and bonus for more privacy (long out of support for Google) control over updates (am I the only one who considers lack of updates a feature?!) and even better--a UI that is fully skeuomorphic. That last one is very important to me. I must enjoy what I use and I love the delights of skeuo. All modern OSs are flat and bland. Even Graphene is flat. Another reason I avoid Pixel is Google always killing off apps/services at the drop of a hat, and always wanting the latest version of apps to even use them. I can't trust that a Pixel's version of Maps, YouTube, or the darned Chrome Web Browser will even be working 5 years from now, much less 10 or even 20. I need apps I can depend on, which never change. They should 'just work'.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2014
There are significant restrictions on the type of data that Apple has access to on the iPhone. I wouldn't really call it an invasion of privacy if Apple knows nothing about it until there is actually something worth knowing about.

The white paper about Apple's CSAM feature indicates that Apple won't actually be able to learn anything about non-CSAM images--they will learn only about CSAM images, and even then there is a threshold of positive matches that need to be made against an encrypted, on-device database (which the user nor Apple can actually access on the device) for that to happen.

Seems rather tinfoil hat-ish to abandon an entire ecosystem over that feature. In fact, if somebody is willing to go to those lengths, it kind of looks like they have something to hide (not saying that they actually do, but it would raise eyebrows).
If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear!
More discussion here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/switching-due-to-csam-is-drastic-and-premature.2311948/

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
am I the only one who considers lack of updates a feature?!

Well, I can say I've heard of plenty of people who continue using something that is years out of date. Sometimes a single application. Other times an entire computer system. And one reason I've heard repeatedly is that the old solution works, and works better for the user.

I've been down that road myself--although currently everything I'm routinely using is fairly current.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I also love the challenge of keeping compatibility with modern services (aka, Kindle, Spotify, Gmail) with older apps. A lot of times it involves nothing but simply not turning on 2FA, other times you have to make a MIM gateway IP to 'fool' the older app to think its talking to its old cloud that no longer exists but challenges keep me mentally stimulated and it's downright fun. I often find the 'old' smartphone or 'old' tablet more an 'upgrade' than anything modern that is just boring in comparison. Keep in mind those old tablets have Tablet UI still intact, which is something a ton of modern Android tablets lack; modern tablets tend to run blown up phone apps, while older Android tablets have a proper tablet UI comparable to an iPad. Another benefit is the reduction in e-waste as they would likely be tossed into the garbage (and recycling also takes resources, albeit less) if unsold. I appreciate any attempt to keep using already made tech, used such as it is, over buying new tech who's only intent is doing the same thing in a more frustrating way. I mean there is literally nothing my Galaxy SII can't do that a S21 Ultra can do. Only the S21 Ultra is too large for my pocket, and many apps are blinding white, and take three steps to do what only takes one or two on the SII.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California

It’s not tin hat-ish. It’s new tech for Apple. They say so when you look up CSAM on their site. They’ve never done this before.

New tech, and you have to trust that no mistakes were made on this first iteration. That everything works perfectly the first time. Because if a mistake is made, someone’s life could be ruined. Hell, your entire family’s life could be ruined.

I’m not leaving, but I’d definitely like to know much more about what happens if there is a mistake and how it is resolved. The government has not been known to quickly apologize or clear up any confusion when they make mistakes.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
It’s not tin hat-ish. It’s new tech for Apple. They say so when you look up CSAM on their site. They’ve never done this before.

New tech, and you have to trust that no mistakes were made on this first iteration. That everything works perfectly the first time. Because if a mistake is made, someone’s life could be ruined. Hell, your entire family’s life could be ruined.

I’m not leaving, but I’d definitely like to know much more about what happens if there is a mistake and how it is resolved. The government has not been known to quickly apologize or clear up any confusion when they make mistakes.
this is a great post, Apple  makes mistakes as safari 15 has flaws and these idiots can't figure out how to run Catalina on a MacBook Air 201 while some dude can. why leave our fate in these careless techie hands?

I know I'm on the cockie-dodie list for all those complaints I tweet to Tim Jobs since 2017
jeez look what the movers and shakers did to Charlie Rose and Matt Lauder.

the day SCAM is activated, a bunch of feds will be waiting outside my old house and good ol Tim with a taser.
I'll be 1000 miles away still sending him complaint tweets!

Reactions: crymimefireworks

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’m looking to move away from Apple by selling all my existing Apple products and replacing them with other products. Currently I have an Apple TV 4th gen, iMac 2020, iPhone 12 Pro, iPadPro2020 12.9in, Apple Watch Series 4, and Airport Time Capsule. Would appreciate any suggestions on transitioning and any product suggestions in replacing any of those devices. So far my thoughts:

IMac - windows 11, no idea on hardware at this point
iphone 12 Pro - Samsung Galaxy S21+ or Galaxy S21 Ultra
Apple TV Replacement - Probably not necessary
Apple Watch - ?
iPad Pro- ?
Airport - ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Not sure you can replace the iPad with a reasonable alternative.
For the airport depends on which country you live in, but I would look at Eero or Google WiFi or Orbi if you live in the US.
And then a NAS maybe?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Not sure you can replace the iPad with a reasonable alternative.
For the airport depends on which country you live in, but I would look at Eero or Google WiFi or Orbi if you live in the US.
And then a NAS maybe?
There are not only "reasonable" replacements for the iPad, there are some that exceed the iPad Pro. But that depends upon what one does with their iPad.

Reactions: mizzourah

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
There are not only "reasonable" replacements for the iPad, there are some that exceed the iPad Pro. But that depends upon what one does with their iPad.

Well I'm not sure there is for the price. The Surface Pro is more expensive and bigger. I guess it depends on the size you want as as you said what you want to do with it.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’m guessing @sracer was looking more along the lines of an Android or even a ChromeOS based device.

Then I personally don't consider either to offer a reasonable alternative to the iPad. It's one of the few products Apple nailed and. Has done for years.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Got it. To each their own. Please be advised though, advice is primarily being directed to answering @Mikeeee's query and he seems to not want to use an iPad anymore.
Then I would suggest a Surface product or similar, you have the new Surface Go no. Only Android option is Samsung but then you have all the bloatware too.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
Then I would suggest a Surface product or similar, you have the new Surface Go no.

I've heard the Surface advise elsewhere as probably being the best choice for replacing an iPad and keeping some privacy. Supposedly, while Windows, it has better privacy than many options.

Only Android option is Samsung but then you have all the bloatware too.

I don't think they are the "only" option--but Samsung is certainly very common. And a lot of the other brands I see advertised are ones no one ever heard of before (which raises concerns in my mind). Or else hard to come by.

These nitpicks aside, it's definitely worth keeping in mind that Samsung has its issues. I, myself, have half considered a tablet recently--and Samsung is attractive with lower starting prices than iPads. But I hear people talk about bloatware and the possibility that Samsung is collecting data (along with Google). One plus to the iPad--only one company collecting data.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I've heard the Surface advise elsewhere as probably being the best choice for replacing an iPad and keeping some privacy. Supposedly, while Windows, it has better privacy than many options.

I don't think they are the "only" option--but Samsung is certainly very common. And a lot of the other brands I see advertised are ones no one ever heard of before (which raises concerns in my mind). Or else hard to come by.

These nitpicks aside, it's definitely worth keeping in mind that Samsung has its issues. I, myself, have half considered a tablet recently--and Samsung is attractive with lower starting prices than iPads. But I hear people talk about bloatware and the possibility that Samsung is collecting data (along with Google). One plus to the iPad--only one company collecting data.

I seriously would stop being concerned about anyone recording your data! Quite literally everyone does it, the only way you'll stop it is to stay of the internet entirely and ditch all your electronic devices. Every free app you use on an iOS device is recording your data and most likely selling it in, Apple may not be directly but it's taking a 30% cut from every purchase made in that same app.
So stop thinking about it and your choices will be much better.
Data protection laws exist to protect that collected data and for the most part they work.
Personally I use a mix of devices and so long as they make my life a little easier I'm all the happier for that. For instance I have an Amazon Echo device on my bed side table, I am currently using Google WiFi for the home, things like that. Along with several Apple devices.

Last edited:

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I’m almost ashamed to say my Apexit didn’t work out. I got stopped out in phase 1. Samsung Phone killed the project. Thanks for your insight though.
No shame. I'll freely admit that while I would love, love, love to try out an Android phone for a cycle (2-3 years), I don't want to give up my Apple Watch. And my iMessages family would kill me.
Then I would suggest a Surface product or similar, you have the new Surface Go no. Only Android option is Samsung but then you have all the bloatware too.
As I said somewhere earlier or in another thread, I'm not leave the Apple ecosystem...but, the Surface Pro 8 is speaking to me with WSLg (Windows Subsystem for Linux - GUI), WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android), the TB4 ports, better stylus input, and upgradable storage.

For my use cases, it may not be the best tablet, it may not be the best laptop, but it's looking like it may be a very nice compromise between the two.

Reactions: Pezimak

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’m almost ashamed to say my Apexit didn’t work out. I got stopped out in phase 1. Samsung Phone killed the project. Thanks for your insight though.
I wouldn't be ashamed - Apple makes some fantastic products. I've used many different phones over the years, a number of android, and even windows phones. Apple imo, is the only that provides a great holistic experience, blending and integrating great hardware, software and services. It's not all unicorns and rainbows, but by and large I think they are doing the best amongst the phone makers.

Reactions: LeeW

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Apple used to be great, everything 'just worked' and it was amazing looking.

Then iOS 7 happened, and they've been stuck with that look since. All the fun, joy and life taken right out of it. Who asked for flat UI in the first place? it flopped for Microsoft!

Modern iOS and modern Android look pretty much alike today. All flat, bland, white and rounded icons. Now, bring back what separated Apple from the rest, such as skeuomorphic apps, coverflow, the slide to unlock (so anyone from kids to the elderly can use it) and all the original human interface guidelines and I'll think about it. Privacy was just the last straw which broke the camel's back for me. Taking away skeuo really hurt, then taking away 32-bit support hurt more, then taking away Dashboard hurt even more than that, now taking away their trademark privacy stance? Oh GOD PLEASE NO! NOO!

Again, this is a company (and every other company including Microsoft and Google) that is supposed to be existing in a free market economic system of supply and demand. Who asked them for flat UI? loss of coverflow, 3D touch, slide to unlock, etc and privacy now? who asked them for it? NO ONE. they're merely banking on customers remaining dumb, complacent, and unthinking. That's not me. One day a company, be it Apple or anyone else, will make one mistake too many and they'll end up like Woolworths, Ames, K-Mart and Sears.

"The largest corporations make the worst stuff!"

~Dankpods

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.