Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
I don’t know if Apple even bother to research a new dimming tech (such as DC dimming that got mentioned a couple times in the past),
DC dimming is not new at all. I’ve got it 2 years back through software update on my old chinese Android phone and it works like charm. No flickering, it’s just awesome. Would solve all these headaches for all PWM sensitive users.

At this point it’s just absurd that Apple did not implement it yet (toggable through accessibility settings). I would say majority of Android devices already have this option.

Reactions: asus389

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
would not an iPhone 13 mini be a better option to the SE anyway?
slightly larger screen, lighter, better camera, etc …
just my $2 worth
The OP has PWM sensitivity with oled screens so the SE 3 is the best option because of its lcd screen

Reactions: Populus

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Not exactly: from September 2018 to April 2020 there was no iPhone SE.
You aren’t wrong, but also: the iPhone 8 (released in 2017) basically became the iPhone SE (in all but name) in 2018.

The iPhone 8 transitioned into the space the original SE occupied and became the new budget iPhone (a 1.5 Gen iPhone SE, if you will) until the 2nd Gen iPhone SE was released in 2020.

The exact date the 2nd Gen iPhone SE was announced, that‘s when the iPhone 8 was discontinued.

So while technically there was a year and a half without an iPhone SE, essentially there has been an SE-like iPhone since 2016.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
DC dimming is not new at all. I’ve got it 2 years back through software update on my old chinese Android phone and it works like charm. No flickering, it’s just awesome. Would solve all these headaches for all PWM sensitive users.

At this point it’s just absurd that Apple did not implement it yet (toggable through accessibility settings). I would say majority of Android devices already have this option.
Which just gets to show how Apple really care about their most Valuable customer base: the customer base they campaign “privacy“ all year long and fiercely guard their data against Competitors. Yet, doesn’t want to spend necessary engineering resources to even investigate this issue.

It’s pretty evident Apple doesn’t even bother to care about PWM sensitive customers. Those $3500 VR headset probably also uses PWM dimming for their internal monitor as well I’d guess.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The OP has PWM sensitivity with oled screens so the SE 3 is the best option because of its lcd screen
However, like our dear user @GrumpyMom I still hold hopes that future OLED iPhones can be more comfortable to use. This is not a 0-1, black or white phenomenon. There are degrees and I still remember one iPhone I didn’t have issues with (I returned it for other reasons).

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Just get an SE3 and move on with your life it my 5 cent. Especially if you can get a decent deal on it.
Sure the new phones have better cameras, FaceID (which is nice) and so on, but if PWM is an issue I don't see you have much of an option.

I'm guessing they will release an SE4 farily soon, maybe in september but that will most likely have an OLED screen, but....that means the old SE3 might drop a few cents.

With the SE3 you will still be able to get security and feature updates for many years to come, and I think that's one very important aspect to take into account when buying a new phone.

Another option could maybe be to buy a used iphone 11, that has LCD as far as I remember.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You aren’t wrong, but also: the iPhone 8 (released in 2017) basically became the iPhone SE (in all but name) in 2018.

The iPhone 8 transitioned into the space the original SE occupied and became the new budget iPhone (a 1.5 Gen iPhone SE, if you will) until the 2nd Gen iPhone SE was released in 2020.

The exact date the 2nd Gen iPhone SE was announced, that‘s when the iPhone 8 was discontinued.

So while technically there was a year and a half without an iPhone SE, essentially there has been an SE-like iPhone since 2016.

Not really. The iPhone 8 became the older iPhone but it was never as inexpensive as the actual SE was. Really, it just occupied the space where the iPhone 13 and 12 are now. Iirc, it still cost ~$200 more than the SE when it was discontinued.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just get an SE3 and move on with your life it my 5 cent. Especially if you can get a decent deal on it.

Lol, I got a couple of Tracfone 64GB iPhone SE3s for $150 each ($180 with 1-month service) from Walmart. Verizon owns Tracfone now so they follow Verizon’s 60-day unlock policy. Too bad there were no higher storage options but for a cheap travel and backup iPhone, these are pretty good.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
PWM has been used on every iPhone ever made, OLED or LCD. It's how almost every dimmable light source is modulated.

My understanding is that's not entirely true. PWM isn't used in many LCD implementations. I can't think of a single LCD iPhone that uses it. Some LCD panels in Macbooks may have used it, but its not the norm. It is used in many OLED implementations including all OLED iPhones to this date.

If you have information to the contrary, I'd love to see it. I'm sensitive to PWM also, and I'd like to avoid it as much as possible.

Reactions: Populus

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think @rui no onna got them cheap and sells them on.
Also, in Europe I don't think phones are locked which is a good thing.
They are pretty much the same price world wide if you compare apples to apples

I don’t sell them. I’m too lazy to deal with the hassles involved when selling. I actually have like 20 devices in my iCloud account because I kept all my old iPhones and iPads (at least the ones that are still working).

We’re going on vacation overseas for the holidays so the iPhone SE3s I bought were for that.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
We pay $ 600 (includes tax) for that in Europe :mad:
Whoever pays full retail price at Apples store for the SE has lost control over his life.

Either buy at 3rd party (they even will sell months after Apple will discontinue) or Apples refurbished

du57in

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Wasn't there a recent rumor that something like 6 unidentified model numbers have been spotted and speculation is that one of them is in fact a USB C iPhone SE?

Reactions: Reverend Benny

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wasn't there a recent rumor that something like 6 unidentified model numbers have been spotted and speculation is that one of them is in fact a USB C iPhone SE?

No, there was a rumor iPhone 14 and 14 Plus would be updated with USB-C. But even that rumor wasn't credible.

Apple can continue to sell existing Lightning models forever. It's only new devices introduced after December 2024 that need to be USB-C.

du57in

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
No, there was a rumor iPhone 14 and 14 Plus would be updated with USB-C. But even that rumor wasn't credible.

Apple can continue to sell existing Lightning models forever. It's only new devices introduced after December 2024 that need to be USB-C.
I haven't read a ton about this... can Apple continue to sell those Lightning models in Europe and anywhere else the regulations are being introduced?

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018

While you are correct on every point, it's worth considering that Apple will most likely struggle profoundly with selling any Lightning products post iPhones 15 launch as Apple can't bet on two horses at the same time while seeking to transition entirely to USB-C:

iPhones are Apple's best selling devices and the big news story that nearly all consumers, techies or not, will hear about and grasp the headlines from.

Thus, Apple can't successfully position Lightning as still being valuable and a contemporary spec while also advertising iPhones 15 as the latest and greatest with USB-C and its many advantages as reasons to upgrade, with faster charging and higher data-transfer, etc.

All things are pointing towards Apple going full USB-C for every new product post September 12.

So while they theoretically could sell Lightning equipped devices for many years down the line, I think switching as many devices to USB-C as fast as possible will avoid Apple and retailers having to give steep discounts on Lightning devices post iPhones 15.

The smartphone market is already slowly stagnating more each year at large.

Apple has to provide steep discounts for SE, 13 and 14 or refresh the stock with USB-C versions of them. I think, at the very least, Apple will do it for iPhones 14 and 14 Plus considering how close their specs will be to their upcoming 15 and 15 Plus counterparts.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I haven't read a ton about this... can Apple continue to sell those Lightning models in Europe and anywhere else the regulations are being introduced?

Yes, the rules don't apply to existing products introduced to the market before December 2024. It would be a massive waste otherwise, forcing manufacturers to pull everything off the shelves and re-do for USB-C.

du57in

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Yes, the rules don't apply to existing products introduced to the market before December 2024. It would be a massive waste otherwise, forcing manufacturers to pull everything off the shelves and re-do for USB-C.
I just assumed companies would only be able to get rid of existing stock and not add new product.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
While you are correct on every point, it's worth considering that Apple will most likely struggle profoundly with selling any Lightning products post iPhones 15 launch as Apple can't bet on two horses at the same time while seeking to transition entirely to USB-C:

iPhones are Apple's best selling devices and the big news story that nearly all consumers, techies or not, will hear about and grasp the headlines from.

Thus, Apple can't successfully position Lightning as still being valuable and a contemporary spec while also advertising iPhones 15 as the latest and greatest with USB-C and its many advantages as reasons to upgrade, with faster charging and higher data-transfer, etc.

All things are pointing towards Apple going full USB-C for every new product post September 12.

So while they theoretically could sell Lightning equipped devices for many years down the line, I think switching as many devices to USB-C as fast as possible will avoid Apple and retailers having to give steep discounts on Lightning devices post iPhones 15.

Apple has to provide steep discounts for SE, 13 and 14 or refresh the stock with USB-C versions of them. I think, at the very least, Apple will do it for iPhones 14 and 14 Plus considering how close their specs will be to their upcoming 15 and 15 Plus counterparts.

I agree every new Apple product launched this year will be USB-C. I just don't think Apple will re-do any existing product with USB-C. iPhone 14/Plus are fairly different in specs compared to 15/Plus given the 14 has a notch and A15.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

I don't think it'll be backported to any existing products. My guess is a two year transition, 15 this year, 16 next year, then SE 4 and 17 in 2025 completely eliminating Lightning from the lineup.

Most buyers will not care or even see Lightning as a plus where they can use their existing accessories.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.