Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
While you are correct on every point, it's worth considering that Apple will most likely struggle profoundly with selling any Lightning products post iPhones 15 launch as Apple can't bet on two horses at the same time while seeking to transition entirely to USB-C:

iPhones are Apple's best selling devices and the big news story that nearly all consumers, techies or not, will hear about and grasp the headlines from.

Thus, Apple can't successfully position Lightning as still being valuable and a contemporary spec while also advertising iPhones 15 as the latest and greatest with USB-C and its many advantages as reasons to upgrade, with faster charging and higher data-transfer, etc.

All things are pointing towards Apple going full USB-C for every new product post September 12.

So while they theoretically could sell Lightning equipped devices for many years down the line, I think switching as many devices to USB-C as fast as possible will avoid Apple and retailers having to give steep discounts on Lightning devices post iPhones 15.

The smartphone market is already slowly stagnating more each year at large.

Apple has to provide steep discounts for SE, 13 and 14 or refresh the stock with USB-C versions of them. I think, at the very least, Apple will do it for iPhones 14 and 14 Plus considering how close their specs will be to their upcoming 15 and 15 Plus counterparts.

I doubt the cost of refreshing older models to feature USB-C would be worth it to Apple. They’ll push folks to buy the iPhone 15 if customers want USB-C.

Otherwise, I don’t think Lightning vs USB-C matters much for older models. I’m betting Apple can get away with their usual $100 price drops. We’ll have SE3, 13, 14 on Lightning and 15 on USB-C this year. Give it a couple more years and it’ll be all USB-C (likely SE4/5, 15, 16 and 17).

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
My guess is that we will see 5 new models this release, a "NEW" SE will be one of them.
I think they'll smack a USB-C port on the current 13 Mini and just rebrand it iPhone SE.

The current iPhone 14 models and the old SE will prob be sold untill next years release of iphone 16.

Reactions: Flav

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
My guess is that we will see 5 new models this release, a "NEW" SE will be one of them.
I think they'll smack a USB-C port on the current 13 Mini and just rebrand it iPhone SE.

The current iPhone 14 models and the old SE will prob be sold untill next years release of iphone 16.

Do you seriously think Apple will drop the price of iPhone 13 mini by 30% and call it an SE?

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

This would be awesome, especially if they used an LCD screen for this new mini/SE. I mean, it would be my dream iPhone. However, I don’t see that happening.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Do you seriously think Apple will drop the price of iPhone 13 mini by 30% and call it an SE?
Why not?
Maybe they'll cut down on some more functions such as just offering one camera but its a cheap way to offer a "new" SE without having to start from scratch when designing it.
Another option is of course to reuse the iphone 11 casing but I would imagine it's cheaper to reuse the 13 mini case as its more up to date and not much needs to be changed.

The current price difference is around $250.
When new phones being released the older ones generally drop in price.

But maybe its to early for a new SE, who knows.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Why not?
Maybe they'll cut down on some more functions such as just offering one camera but its a cheap way to offer a "new" SE without having to start from scratch when designing it.
Another option is of course to reuse the iphone 11 casing but I would imagine it's cheaper to reuse the 13 mini case as its more up to date and not much needs to be changed.

The current price difference is around $250.
When new phones being released the older ones generally drop in price.

But maybe its to early for a new SE, who knows.

Because if you look at previous iPhone SE models, that's never been the case. iPhone SE (2016) reused the design from 2013. iPhone SE (2020) took the design from 2017. You're proposing a two year design, plus a drop from $599 to $429. Drops of over $100 have never happened before.

But the main issue is, nobody wants a mini. So why would Apple take an unpopular design and try to sell it again? They failed once with the iPhone 12 mini, failed again with iPhone 13 mini. Why do it again?

Taking out a camera from iPhone 13 mini leaves dead space. Apple would need to redesign the logic board and battery.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Because if you look at previous iPhone SE models, that's never been the case. iPhone SE (2016) reused the design from 2013. iPhone SE (2020) took the design from 2017. You're proposing a two year design, plus a drop from $599 to $429. Drops of over $100 have never happened before.

The design is 3 years old now actually (same design as the 2020 12 mini) and turning 4 next year which is likely when the SE4 will drop. It wasn’t attractive at the original $699 price point but at $449, who knows.

If Apple goes the power button TouchID route instead of FaceID (is this still a cost cutting measure at this point in time?), that would be easier to do with the 12/13 mini’s chassis design.

The dynamic island is considered the new design language now so if Apple keeps the notch on the hypothetical SE4, then it would still have an older design.

Mind, if they keep the 13 mini in the 2023 lineup instead of discontinuing it, its price would be $499. A similar device with LCD, one camera, etc. would probably cost less to manufacture.

Sadly for us small phone lovers, majority of customers prefer a bigger display. I really wish Apple would keep manufacturing smaller phones even if it’s just the SE line.

• Love
Reactions: gusmula and Populus

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The design is 3 years old now actually (same design as the 2020 12 mini) and turning 4 next year which is likely when the SE4 will drop. It wasn’t attractive at the original $699 price point but at $449, who knows.

iPhone 13 is not the same design as iPhone 12. The notch is smaller and the rear camera layout is completely different. It may seem subtle, but they're very powerful from Apple's perspective in terms of product differentiation.

The SE is always two generations behind in design. The SE (2016) was superseded by iPhone 6 (curved) and 7 (Home button). The SE (2020) was two generations behind - iPhone X and 12.

If Apple goes the power button TouchID route instead of FaceID (is this still a cost cutting measure at this point in time?), that would be easier to do with the 12/13 mini’s chassis design.

I disagree it would be easier because Touch ID wouldn't make sense on a mini. Touch ID results in a completely bezel free device, which would supersede iPhone 14/15/16 Pro. The only way it makes sense is if Apple adds a thicker bezel, which is why we previously heard about a 5.7-inch display in an XR/11 chassis. On the mini, there is simply no room for a thicker bezel.

The dynamic island is considered the new design language now so if Apple keeps the notch on the hypothetical SE4, then it would still have an older design.

Mind, if they keep the 13 mini in the 2023 lineup instead of discontinuing it, its price would be $499. A similar device with LCD, one camera, etc. would probably cost less to manufacture.

An SE4 based on iPhone 13/mini launched this year would be unexpected due to generational reason I listed above. I don't believe Apple would price a mini at $499. Production cost doesn't drop that quickly. If you think about it, if Apple sells SE3 for $429, how could Apple possibly sell a mini for $499? It has a number of differences - OLED, camera, 5G antenna, Face ID. Based on Apple's requirement for margins, it's impossible for a $499 mini.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The SE is always two generations behind in design. The SE (2016) was superseded by iPhone 6 (curved) and 7 (Home button). The SE (2020) was two generations behind - iPhone X and 12.

Note, the iPhone SE (2016) was released prior to the iPhone 7. I expect similar timing for the SE4 (Mar-Apr 2024) and iPhone 16 (Sep 2024).

An SE4 based on iPhone 13/mini launched this year would be unexpected due to generational reason I listed above. I don't believe Apple would price a mini at $499. Production cost doesn't drop that quickly. If you think about it, if Apple sells SE3 for $429, how could Apple possibly sell a mini for $499? It has a number of differences - OLED, camera, 5G antenna, Face ID. Based on Apple's requirement for margins, it's impossible for a $499 mini.

I’m not expecting to see the SE4 released this year. I expect we’ll get the iPhone 15 series and that’s it. No changes for the rest of the line except dropping the 12 and 14 Pro (and likely 13 mini), and lowering prices by $100 on the retained older models.

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Not really. The iPhone 8 became the older iPhone but it was never as inexpensive as the actual SE was. Really, it just occupied the space where the iPhone 13 and 12 are now. Iirc, it still cost ~$200 more than the SE when it was discontinued.
You aren’t wrong, but also: Apple dropped the price of the iPhone 8 in 2019. At that point it was just $50 more than the iPhone SE when it was released in 2016.

During 2019 (a little after the iPhone SE was officially discontinued, but months before the iPhone 8 became budget priced), Apple was still selling the iPhone SE new (as an clearance item) at an even more-discounted price. It was after Apple had finally sold through their remaining stock of iPhone SE phones that Apple discounted the iPhone 8 in 2019 to become the iPhone SE-like budget phone.

Reactions: Populus

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I don't think it'll be backported to any existing products. My guess is a two year transition, 15 this year, 16 next year, then SE 4 and 17 in 2025 completely eliminating Lightning from the lineup.

Most buyers will not care or even see Lightning as a plus where they can use their existing accessories.
This could be why Apple could start the transition to USB-C a year early, iPhone 15 and 16 (judging from the previous assumption of a December 2024 deadline by the EU) could still be lightning port phone but it seems Apple will be going USB-C as of this year.

on that basis Apple could be aiming for a 2025 launch deadline to have a completely USB-C phone line up.

That means September 2025 will see iPhone 17, and below that the 16 and 15 cheaper and older models are still sold by Apple in their stores as they slip down the price conveyor belt.

In the current line up by comparison, the 14 is the flagship but you can still officially buy the 13 and 12 in all variations plus the SE below that In an Apple Store. Third party retailers will sell you an 11 if you want.

So come late 2025 the entire mainstream senior iPhone Lineup might be USB-C with only the SE a mystery.

Apple have until late 2024 to introduce a last hurrah SE with lightning port that will kick the can down the road long enough for an iPhone 15 to become a budget option they could put engineering resources into making an SE with a USB-C port.

An SE using the current design and engineering philosophy should include the lightning port to keep the costs down and pass the saving on to the consumer If the bean counters were running the show.

This could easily be an 11 with updated internals, yes you keep the IPS screen to keep people with screen sensitivity issues but then you risk losing the crowd who want touchID. That’s an argument that Apple have had a long time to think about the situation and they might still dedicate engineering resources to a bespoke cut down SE 4 design just so they could include USB-C and Touch ID while sticking to one rear camera, maybe IPS screen tech and a smaller screen size to hit a price point.

Consider that the iPad Air (4th gen) and iPad mini (6th gen) have started using an adapted touch ID power button, there’s your evidence that Apple don’t mind engineering a solution that might cost more than re-using existing FaceID tech.

So depending on release date the SE4 may end up being a very interesting model indeed, the earliest I’d see a release is Spring 2024, wouldn’t want to upstage the iPhone 16 in September 2024. And clearly the USB-C port on that phone will be USB2 speed.

Reactions: gusmula

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m in the process of buying a new (still with the plastic protector), open-box iPhone SE 3 with 128GB of storage for 350€. I think it is a good deal, over here the 128GB SE 3 at Apple costs 650€.

Wish me luck! If there’s any known bug or defect in the SE 3 (like problems with reception or something like that) please let me know. That way I’ll be able to check it on the moment.

Thank you!

PS: do you know if there’s a thread on the forum just for the SE 3? Thank you.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I’m in the process of buying a new (still with the plastic protector), open-box iPhone SE 3 with 128GB of storage for 350€. I think it is a good deal, over here the 128GB SE 3 at Apple costs 650€.

Wish me luck! If there’s any known bug or defect in the SE 3 (like problems with reception or something like that) please let me know. That way I’ll be able to check it on the moment.

Thank you!

PS: do you know if there’s a thread on the forum just for the SE 3? Thank you.
No problems with my SE 3. You should like it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
No problems with my SE 3. You should like it.
I remember, at first, that some users where complaining about a bug that caused sudden shutdowns of the phone itself, but I think it was solved in the next few software updates. That’s why I’m asking.

By the way, does the SE3 support Stand Alone 5G?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I remember, at first, that some users where complaining about a bug that caused sudden shutdowns of the phone itself, but I think it was solved in the next few software updates. That’s why I’m asking.

By the way, does the SE3 support Stand Alone 5G
It supports 5G. Whats stand alone? But u find the tech specs on apples site

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It supports 5G. Whats stand alone? But u find the tech specs on apples site
At least here in Europe, on the transition towards 5G, we have both “Standalone” 5G and “Non-Standalone” 5G.

At first, carriers used their 4G towers and antennas for a limited 5G (this is the “Non-Standalone), and after some years, they are building/purchasing new equipment specifically for 5G, the true 5G (this has nothing to do with mmWave), and they call this new, 5G specific antennas “Standalone 5G”.

But I guess that if the SE 3 is 5G capable, even when it doesn’t have mmWave, the modem can be updated to accept Standalone 5G.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Wish me luck!
Good luck!

My work phone is an SE3; it's a nice, compact phone. It's a bit cramped to type on, but you can adapt quickly enough.

Apple pay is seemless experience (IMO better than face-id enabled phones); double tap the home button as you're pulling the phone out of your pocket/bag, and it's ready to go by the time you present your phone to the pay terminal.
Hopefully you enjoy your phone!

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Good luck!

My work phone is an SE3; it's a nice, compact phone. It's a bit cramped to type on, but you can adapt quickly enough.

Apple pay is seemless experience (IMO better than face-id enabled phones); double tap the home button as you're pulling the phone out of your pocket/bag, and it's ready to go by the time you present your phone to the pay terminal.
Hopefully you enjoy your phone!
Thank you.

Admittedly, I would like to enjoy a more modern design, but the OLED screens are generally uncomfortable for me, and the bigger size and weight… even the rumored 190g of the new iPhone 15 Pro is too much for me, as I’m used to the weight of my iPhone 8 (144g)

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Dear forum: I was wrong.

Fortunately, the SE 3 is still sold at Apple.

As for the SE 3 open-box I was trying to buy from a particular, he isn’t very communicative. We’ll see if I finally manage to buy it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Bad news. The seller that was going to sell me the open-box, not used, 128GB SE 3, in the last minute decided to sell it to another person, despite the fact that we’ve been talking about the transaction for over two weeks. Apparently I asked too many questions…

Damn, I’m not going to find another new, open-box 128GB SE for just 350€. And the official price of 600€ is just crazy for such device.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Bad news. The seller that was going to sell me the open-box, not used, 128GB SE 3, in the last minute decided to sell it to another person, despite the fact that we’ve been talking about the transaction for over two weeks. Apparently I asked too many questions…

Damn, I’m not going to find another new, open-box 128GB SE for just 350€. And the official price of 600€ is just crazy for such device.
It may have been too good to be true and you may have dodged a bullet. Don’t look back.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m now an iPhone SE 3 owner. I only could purchase a 64GB unit, because I went to a local second-hand store, and they had two in midnight. One was almost new, with 100% battery health, 350€. The other had more usage, and had some marks on the back glass, and a 89% battery health, for 320€. So I purchased the former.

Now, I’m gonna restore it, and see if I can still install iOS 16.6.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.