Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by sawaguchishinji
iPodPhoneMouse.jpg

And look how the "mouse" will work. When I use the mouse the "telephone" would be face-down, scratching all the keys.

fairly obviously, the keys would be recessed-- there would still need to be a plastic ring for the mouse to actually sit on. otherwise you couldn't drag it across a surface.

:rolleyes: i don't know why i'm defending this damn fake-ass thing...

hey, lets all get drunk and make up some good rumors...

:)
pnw

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Cool! More untested long-term radiation effects beamed directly on my hand!

The device seems interesting at first but then you realize the obvious conflicts an mp3 player and a phone would have with a mouse. I suppose a headphone/microphone could be linked through one cord, but that cord would probably get in the way while you are using the mouse. And, to my knowledge, current bluetooth headsets would not have very good quality compared to a cheap pair of in-ear headphones.

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Although I think this is completely fake (especially the fact that someone is STILL trying to push the Apple cell phone idea... phone over computer/network, that's a different story) I think this could actually be a handy device (minus the idea of making it a fully-functioning iPod). Aside from the fact that the mouse would more than likely plug into a Firewire port rather than USB, it's a cool way to be able to sync between computers. The mouse has a tiny 1.8" hard drive inside which lets it act as a portable drive. Every computer uses a mouse, so why not make it so plugging one mouse between two computers automatically syncs files? It would be seamless, hidden from the user, and completely natural. And, if some kind of phone over IP solution came from Apple, the idea of this being a phone as well would be kind of cool, although it would annoying since you wouldn't be able to use the mouse while talking on this phone. OK, scratch the idea of this acting as an IP phone.

But still, although I consider this a completely false idea, it is kind of cool to think of a mouse acting as a portable back-up/syncing hard drive to make everything seamless and hidden from the user.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: craziness

Originally posted by theaz
LoopRumors seems willing to publish anything...

jeez. i thought at one point in time apple rumors was a semi respectable mix of prognostication and educated guessing. now its just crap.

i guess we can thank MOSR and Spymac for that. i will never forgive the iWalk. ever.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Originally posted by AndrewMT
Cool! More untested long-term radiation effects beamed directly on my hand!

The device seems interesting at first but then you realize the obvious conflicts an mp3 player and a phone would have with a mouse. I suppose a headphone/microphone could be linked through one cord, but that cord would probably get in the way while you are using the mouse. And, to my knowledge, current bluetooth headsets would not have very good quality compared to a cheap pair of in-ear headphones.

The thing is you don't really need to listen toan ipod when at a computer...it could just sync to the mac and play from there through the speakers or plug your headphones into the mac...ok, it's nice to have the choice I guess, but it's not that mega important...surely the iPod is mosly used while away from the computer except maybe with a laptop. The radiation point is true though....I guess i'd really like one of these even if I do think its fake.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by Awimoway
Unsanitary--why would I want to put my mouth next to something I've been sliding all over available surfaces?

Yecchhh!

Yeah, no kidding. This is the first thing I thought of.I am usually very supportive of even the craziest idea, (sparkleytone, I LIKED the iWalk, he he), but this is just a dumb conversion of ideas. One of the functions needs to go before it'll even begin to be believable.

And it's ugly.

Regards,
Gus

Laurent

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Montréal, Québec
Websites like SpyMac and Loop Rumors are VERY important! Since they don't filter the information, it's up for their readers to beleive what they want. Readers that are tired of reading about things that never turns out to be true (and less time on their hands) will prefer reading Mac Rumors, which is good also!

Regarding the idea of a communicating device, I like the idea of keeping your home folder with all your personnal documents and emails wherever you go. Computers would turn out to be meres phone booths, which is funny since those (phone booths) are beginning to disapear everyday.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
It's absurd to the point of hilarity. It sounds like a late April fools joke, like Macwhispers "PowerPod" gag (which was actually quite funny to read).

1. Apple won't make a cell phone.
2. Apple won't make a cell phone that can be used as a mouse.
3. And an iPod as a mouse? Man, LoopRumors, how insane are you guys? (their insistance that Apple will make an Audrey-like device comes to mind here)

Sure, Yao Ming would be able to wrap his hand around this thing in a commercial, but the average user would have some size - and weight, and shape - issues with something like this.

Like I said, it's so absurd, it's pretty darn funny.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I won't say the possibility of a phone from apple is outrageous, but a phone in a mouse is just a bad idea in general.

I talk on the cell phone while I use the computer all the time. I would also look really dumb in public talking on a mouse.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
I'll be laughing of you guys when this turns out to be true.. ;)

I'll laugh at myself AND Apple if this turned out to be true. I mean, really, a mouse/phone/iPod combo?

Regards,
Gus

prosaic

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2001
hey, what about this: maybe the "mouse" bit is a little creative interpretation on someone's part. perhaps the device described is an apple-branded mobile phone with an internal hard drive for ipod-style data mobility. maybe the form factor only looks like a mouse, with a rotary scroll wheel on the back.

Raiwong

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2003
It could be possible for it to be a mouse, the phone will be accessed via ipod like headphones and microphone with remote control.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
And maybe it's an iPod/cellphone synced with your homefolder that has USB throughput for your mouse and recieves mesages and iSyncs wirelessly that you can configure in .mac.

Maybe the headset you would hook up to it doubles for the phone, and utilizes web- and home-phone capabilities that will not only be routed from your iCell # but will also find you via webphone at whatever location you've plugged the device into a computer.

And maybe...just maybe...the original idea is SO RETARDED that it leaves way too much room to speculate -- enough to make it sound like there's something sensible going on here.

Just another 2¢ of mine...how many cents is that now?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
oh yeah, i want a mouse/ipod/phone/CD BURNER!!!!! damn how can they leave out a burner? thats lame. i think it will most likely have blue tooth, obviously, but what about firewire 800? OH and what about VIDEO? could you imagine if it worked as a traditional pen too?

mim

macrumors 6502
While I think the drawing is a load of poo, and the whole mouse idea is so naff it makes me laugh - it would actually be pretty easy to add phone functionality to an iPod. The 'pod already has a screen, a decent battery (lol), updatable contacts list, d-a converters (and there's no reason the new ones wouldn't have a-d converters...). All that's required would be a bluetooth headset, or wired earphones/mic.

I have my 'pod on me >all< the time. I'm sure most other people do too. If there was a mobile phone in there that I could use via a neat bluetooth mic/speaker stick...then that would be a pretty much perfect tool.

I'd imagine that if the 'pods had bluetooth, then you could use them as a remote control device for presentations, etc in much the same way the eri-ony phones are now.

The loop-rumors interpretation is plain dumb. But they may have muddled an otherwise good rumor.

<edit: ok, I just re-read this, and I know someone's going to be picky.....to add phone functionality you'd need antenna, wires, blah blah blah, as well as the 'talking into heary-speaky magic earwig'. But my point is there is minimal extra gear to get into the current enclosure) - and mangoman: yeh, I knew. That splat was just the sound of my wit falling flat on it's face. I'll be less cryptic next time ;) >

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.