Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Los Angeles County residents who receive a COVID-19 vaccination are able to add a digital record of their vaccination to the Apple Wallet app, reports Bloomberg.

coronaviruscdc.jpg

The county is partnering with Healthvana to add the vaccination proof to the Wallet app on iPhone. Healthvana is a patient platform that healthcare providers can use to deliver COVID-19 test results to patients.

The vaccination record helps to ensure that those who have been vaccinated receive their second shot in the two-dose procedure, and in the future, Bloomberg speculates that it could be used as proof of vaccination to access flights, concerts, and more.

For the time being, the Wallet vaccination record will alert people who have had their first shot about their second appointment to make sure each person is fully vaccinated.

"We're really concerned. We really want people to come back for that second dose," Claire Jarashow, LA's director of vaccine preventable disease control told Bloomberg. "We just don't have the capacity to be doing hundreds of medical record requests to find people's first doses and when they need to get their second."

Immunizations are also being tracked in registries and those vaccinated receive a paper card, but that card is easily lost so the Wallet app serves as more permanent proof.

The county is planning to send data to Healthvana each night, with information stored on Amazon Web Services' HIPAA-compliant servers. Jarashow told Bloomberg that it's as "safe as we can make it," and that she would "feel comfortable using it."

As of December 22, Los Angeles had administered at least 38,850 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to health-care providers, residents of long-term care facilities, and paramedics.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Los Angeles Residents Able to Add COVID Vaccination Proof to Apple Wallet

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Remember HIPAA?

Back when we viewed medical knowledge of one's body as DEEPLY PERSONAL information?

Amazing, how quickly a crisis throws out our rights.

I understand HIPAA isn't technically violated. The point is that HIPAA's protection of medical information isn't very useful if one has to surrender said info to "to access flights, concerts, and more".

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
Once they aren’t allowed on flights, inside concerts or sporting events, etc. without documentation of vaccination we’ll see how quick they change their tune.

Is this Nazi Germany (mandatory ID cards - not anything else ! ) ?

Happy to have vaccines but needing to provide documentation to go about your daily life is insane (especially given the <1% mortality rate).

Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Is this Nazi Germany?

Happy to have vaccines but needing to provide documentation to go about your daily life is insane (especially given the <1% mortality rate).
I think it’s more than fair proof of vaccination will be required when people want to fly or attend mass events. Your freedoms end when they threat others.

Besides, your <1% remark is nonsense. There’s a whole spectrum between dying and being cured. Many people suffer long lasting consequences. You’re ignoring that in your oversimplified view.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yup . Nazi Germany all over again but rolling out on a global scale. Except for instead of Jews the so called anti-vaxers (people who question things and care about their health) are labeled and denied service. Oh and shamed to hell as well.

What kind of people are you referring to though? Those waiting to get vaccinated to see if there are longer term effects or those who try to use debunked "facts" stating vaccines cause autism or is used for mind control, etc?

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
I think it’s more than fair proof of vaccination will be required when people want to fly or attend mass events. Your freedoms end when they threat others.

Besides, your <1% remark is nonsense. There’s a whole spectrum between dying and being cured. Many people suffer long lasting consequences. You’re ignoring that in your oversimplified view.

I have a masters in Biological Science, and have studied infectious diseases for the past 6 years. One might say that qualifies me to be able to speak as I do, much more than the what is said in the media about it.

FYI - I don't believe in the conspiracy theorys going about, but I tell you for a fact the governments response to this whole this is not inline with what they should be doing

anek007

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This will unfortunately never fly here in Germany. Too many privacy concerns and also they already said that vaccinated people will not receive any perks. I mean ... our health departments still have to deal with fax and excel tables so also from a technical point of view it would never work.

no one wants to talk about how the government has failed to protect the elderly in retirement homes. Just yesterday, 58 of 63 residents have tested positive for Covid in the town next to my parents. Instead they are all betting on lockdown after lockdown. Now we are on another lockdown and NOTHING is being prepared in the meantime. Teachers don’t know what is gonna happen after January 11. nothing. Guess they will just keep batting on lockdown after lockdown.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Is this Nazi Germany?

All rights come with limitations. Your right to swing your fist ends at my face. People don’t have the right to infect others with their disease. Wanting to is sociopathic at best.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Once they aren’t allowed on flights, inside concerts or sporting events, etc. without documentation of vaccination we’ll see how quick they change their tune.
How about you give them a full history of every STD or disease you contracted, you know, for public health reasons. That embarrassing rash/infection/etc in that private area? They need to know about that too. For the public’s good. But you wouldn’t have a problem with that would you?

See where this could go? Give them an inch and they take a mile.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
HIPAA applies to medical providers and their affiliates.

While completely predictable, especially given today's conspiracy-theory driven society and the above "is this nazi germany" nonsense, providing proof of immunization is an incredibly well established practice. Anyone who has... i don't know... gone to school... would have had this occur. Travelling internationally often requires immunization as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.